A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:34:10 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oklahoma Joes Fundraiser Kerfuffle  (Read 55868 times)
BKDotCom
City Father

« on: April 08, 2013, 08:50:45 pm »

Disappointing:
http://www.reddit.com/r/tulsa/comments/1byfen/oklahoma_joes_bbq_turned_away_a_fundraiser_they/

Flyer approved by Oklahoma Joes:

view full sized
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 09:01:40 pm by BKDotCom » Logged
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 09:34:23 pm »

I saw this today.  I feel for the group.  I never cared much for that Joes, so it won't be much of a loss.  Look at their Yelp page now though, they're getting hammered with bad reviews.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 10:59:31 pm »

This website

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wwjtd/2013/04/camp-quest-oklahoma-kicked-out-of-their-own-fundraiser-by-christian-business-owner/

has screencaps of Oklahoma Joe's facebook page before they took it down.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 11:12:54 pm »

This website

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wwjtd/2013/04/camp-quest-oklahoma-kicked-out-of-their-own-fundraiser-by-christian-business-owner/

It's funny to me because I had a couple of posts right in the middle of that screencap that were deleted before this was taken.  In fact, the whole "as an American" thing was in response to a post of mine, though I don't remember what.  I might have eventually made my way to this place before, but surely not now.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 11:13:22 pm »

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3tslvz/
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 11:15:30 pm by custosnox » Logged
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 11:18:05 pm »

Here is a link about a book co-authored by Camp Quest's executive director:

http://parentingbeyondbelief.com/

If Oklahoma Joe's, a Christian company, doesn't want to assist agnostics/atheists/"humanists" (you know, "secularists") with raising raising money, it's there choice. My beef would be the tardiness of the decision, but not the decision itself.

And if need be I will double/triple my order to offset any "boycott"...

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 11:24:47 pm »

This website

It may well, from what I understand from doing some reading, something that a lawsuit might come to pass on it.  An organization in Michigan had something similar happen and I believe wound up settling out of court.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/dispatches/2013/04/08/camp-quest-discriminated-against-in-oklahoma/

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 11:26:29 pm »

And you can see how quick the KC "mothership" disavowed the BA location.

https://twitter.com/OklahomaJoesBBQ/status/321454373433638912

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 11:29:56 pm »

We are in freakin Oklahoma and some people are shocked that one of its restaurants would not want to support a "pro science", er, "free thinker", er, agnostic, er, atheist, organization?  I guess being a Christian means you are anti-science and not a "free thinker". If Camp Quest was truly up front, why not have Oklahoma Joes put in the flyer CQ caters to atheists and agnostics, instead of the ambiguous info that ultimately appeared.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 12:45:19 am »

We are in freakin Oklahoma and some people are shocked that one of its restaurants would not want to support a "pro science", er, "free thinker", er, agnostic, er, atheist, organization?  I guess being a Christian means you are anti-science and not a "free thinker". If Camp Quest was truly up front, why not have Oklahoma Joes put in the flyer CQ caters to atheists and agnostics, instead of the ambiguous info that ultimately appeared.
so you are okay with this place agreeing with helping needy children send a science summer camp that simply lacks the religious element of other camps, then backing out of the deal, as well as kicking the supporters out simply because it was discovered they were atheists?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 12:48:04 am »

And also, all are welcome, it doesn't cater to atheists. The info given is exactly what the camp is.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 07:35:05 am »

Rally Rhema.  It's a Chick-fil-a disaster in Broken Arrow.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 08:55:54 am »

#1.  If you are going to offer fundraising for groups, and you have some political, religious, or other allegiance to withhold, you need to disclose that in your fundraising contract.
#2.  It is your DUTY to research the organizations before you agree to a partnership, to determine if they are eligible under the law, and conform to your standards.
#3.  Once you engage, it is unethical to break that engagement.

It seems that Joe's fundraising contract needs to include a space for religious affiliation.  I am curious as to how this would play out if it was a Jewish or Muslim summer camp?

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 09:12:02 am »

#1.  If you are going to offer fundraising for groups, and you have some political, religious, or other allegiance to withhold, you need to disclose that in your fundraising contract.
#2.  It is your DUTY to research the organizations before you agree to a partnership, to determine if they are eligible under the law, and conform to your standards.
#3.  Once you engage, it is unethical to break that engagement.

It seems that Joe's fundraising contract needs to include a space for religious affiliation.  I am curious as to how this would play out if it was a Jewish or Muslim summer camp?

Hmm.  Last I checked, religious affiliation and discrimination therein was unlawful.

Maybe I'm wrong.

This is going to be a PR nightmare for Oklahoma Joe's.  It already is for the mothership evidently, as they were blamed from the outset until they disavowed this location.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 09:22:47 am »

Broken Arrow location, PR nightmare not so much.  Since BA is a bedroom community, I suspect church-goers would continue to support Oklahoma Joe's, perhaps more so now that there is a crap storm circulating over this.

I've eaten there twice and wouldn't go out of my way to eat there, the food is not that spectacular.  Last time was a couple of weeks ago just prior to a meeting at the hospital out there.  Other time, MC and I stumbled onto them on a Sunday when we were out on a ride on our Harleys.  If not for that I seriously doubt I would have eaten there yet.

I do agree this was very poorly handled and they should have simply finished out this obligation and refused to do another in the future if it offended the ownership's religious sensibilities.  But hey, he's free to piss off whomever he chooses.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org