A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:40:24 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TV commercials to get quieter  (Read 4567 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« on: December 12, 2012, 04:59:19 pm »

Ahh... TV commercials to get quieter starting Thursday

http://lifeinc.today.com/_news/2012/12/12/15866886-ahh-tv-commercials-to-get-quieter-starting-thursday

TV fans, you're about to get a break from your commercial break.

Shouting TV ads are soon to become a thing of the past as a new law goes into effect Thursday at midnight mandating that the volume of commercials has to be within a range of 2 decibels (db) more or less than the programming around them.

Joe Addalia, director of technology projects for Hearst Television, was in charge of figuring out the right technology to make 31 transmitters compliant with the new regulations. He told TODAY that 2 db was "the difference between viewers reaching for the remote and not." TV stations want to encourage watchers to leave the remote alone, he said, "because right next to the volume button is the channel button."

Commercials are often so loud because the only real limit on programming volumes is the one set by stations so that the sound levels don't damage their equipment. That level, however, represents a peak sound meant to accommodate for when something like a gunshot or explosion goes off during a show. Advertising content creators routinely crank the sound of their ads to just shy of that peak level, so the entire commercial is playing at the equivalent of a 30-second bomb blast.

Joel Kelsey, legislative director for the media advocacy group Free Press, previously testified in Congress about the need for volume regulation on commercials. Since nearly the beginning of television itself, loud commercials "have consistently been one of the issues consumers are most energized to write the FCC about. They don't like being screamed at every time the program breaks to buy deodorant," Kelsey told TODAY.

However, it took an act of Congress, the "Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation Act," or CALM Act, to prod the FCC into the necessary action. The bill passed unanimously in the Senate.

While station operators across the country have been busy implementing new volume-limiting controls, many viewers already have technology in their TV sets to dampen the auditory enthusiasm of "Crazy Carl's Car Shack" and "Head-On, APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD!"

It's worth mentioning what tools consumers have at their hands, besides the mute button, because with so many moving pieces involved, you can be sure that some loud ads will get through. The FCC encourages viewers to report any rogue ads to 1-888-TELL-FCC (1-888-225-5322).
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 05:18:17 pm »

Dont hold your breath.

It's a question of dynamic range (or the difference between the slightest detectable sounds and the loudest possible sounds).

A typical movie or television show tries to use as much dynamic range as the technology will allow, while on the other hand, commercials tend to shrink the dynamic range to where it's maxed out all the time.  The culprit is audio compression, where there's just no "low end" to the sound.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 05:20:43 pm »

Dont hold your breath.

It's a question of dynamic range (or the difference between the slightest detectable sounds and the loudest possible sounds).

A typical movie or television show tries to use as much dynamic range as the technology will allow, while on the other hand, commercials tend to shrink the dynamic range to where it's maxed out all the time.  The culprit is audio compression, where there's just no "low end" to the sound.

Hey, if the Congress said, then it must be.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 06:51:22 pm »

Human hearing isn't linear over the range of frequencies it can detect.  The audio range extends from roughly 40 Hz, which is felt more than heard, up to about 20 KHz, though the range differs according to age and exposure to loud noise.  The audio we detect most reliably is 300 Hz to about 3 KHz.  That's the normal bandwidth for telephones and speech.  You can make audio seem louder by rolling off those low frequencies and boosting the mid to high range, all without increasing the power. 

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 07:11:11 pm »

The audio we detect most reliably is 300 Hz to about 3 KHz.  That's the normal bandwidth for telephones and speech.

I wish the makers of some digital telephones at a place I worked in the late 80s had known that.  I was told the sampling was insufficient.  Whatever it was, most female voices were unintelligible due to missing sounds.  Tho e p ones w re ter ibl .  (Those phones were terrible.)

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 07:28:28 pm »

I wish the makers of some digital telephones at a place I worked in the late 80s had known that.  I was told the sampling was insufficient.  Whatever it was, most female voices were unintelligible due to missing sounds.  Tho e p ones w re ter ibl .  (Those phones were terrible.)

A friend has a smart phone that seems to have a mic that is sensitive to different frequencies when held at different angles.  If he shifts it slightly while talking, the upper frequencies drop out, leaving only the lower end.  It sounds like he's talking from inside a washing machine.

It doesn't help that my own hearing is deteriorating from too many loud noises, primarily motorcycles and guns.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 08:32:52 pm »

A friend has a smart phone that seems to have a mic that is sensitive to different frequencies when held at different angles.  If he shifts it slightly while talking, the upper frequencies drop out, leaving only the lower end.  It sounds like he's talking from inside a washing machine.

It doesn't help that my own hearing is deteriorating from too many loud noises, primarily motorcycles and guns.

I recognize that a 1950s handset from Western Electric won't fit in your pocket but it did make sense to put the microphone near the speaker's mouth and the handset speaker near the listener's ear.

I don't hear the high frequency from CRT TV's anymore. (When you can find one.)  It used to be quite prominent in Department Stores when I was a lot younger.  I am not around motorcycles or guns much.  Wearing a headset in airplanes has probably helped preserve my hearing significantly.  Plus, with a push to talk button, fumbling for the microphone is a thing of the past.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 09:49:34 pm »

I don't hear the high frequency from CRT TV's anymore. (When you can find one.)  It used to be quite prominent in Department Stores when I was a lot younger.

It was ultrasonic motion detectors that would drive me almost to tears as a youngster.  More a painful sensation than a sound.
Later it was the whine of big commercial VTR's, and the pilot carrier on older analog-tuned FM radios. 

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org