A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:15:05 pm
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 38   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Okla Legislature 2nd Worse in Nation  (Read 262370 times)
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #210 on: July 14, 2015, 06:16:04 pm »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/07/14/oklahoma-republicans-likened-poor-people-to-animals-and-then-called-it-todays-lesson-in-irony/
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #211 on: September 23, 2015, 12:49:31 pm »

We just can't not look like a-holes...

Oklahoma Congressman Seeks Ranger School Records after Women Graduate

http://publicradiotulsa.org/term/local-regional

COLUMBUS, Ga. (AP) — An Oklahoma congressman is seeking training records from the Army Ranger School at Georgia's Fort Benning, where two soldiers made history last month by becoming the first females to graduate.

The Columbus Ledger-Enquirer reports that Republican Rep. Steve Russell is asking the Secretary of the Army for paperwork documenting the women's performance.

Russell's spokesman, Daniel Susskind, said the congressman is asking for the records to make sure that soldiers who passed the course deserved to do so.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #212 on: February 01, 2016, 12:46:10 pm »

What are Key Issues for Oklahoma Legislature as it Returns?

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/what-are-key-issues-oklahoma-legislature-it-returns

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Oklahoma legislators return to the Capitol on Monday facing an economic crisis and other troubling issues.

A sharp drop in oil and gas prices has cut revenues to key businesses, which has reduced state revenues. Lawmakers expect to see about a $1 billion budget shortfall for the next fiscal year.

Lawmakers are also expected to discuss the sharp rise in the number of earthquakes, an increase linked to the injection of wastewater underground from oil and gas production.

Also expected to be discussed are ways to raise teacher pay and possibly consider consolidation of some state schools; criminal justice and possibly reducing the penalties for some crimes to ease prison crowding; and a move to amend the state Constitution so a Ten Commandments monument could be erected at the state Capitol.

Glad they're working on that last one...super duper important considering Oklahoma is the suckiest suck to ever suck a suck.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #213 on: February 01, 2016, 01:04:45 pm »

What are Key Issues for Oklahoma Legislature as it Returns?

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/what-are-key-issues-oklahoma-legislature-it-returns

Glad they're working on that last one...super duper important considering Oklahoma is the suckiest suck to ever suck a suck.

Fallin wants more money for corrections. Oklahoma already leads the planet on locking people up. We need to spend MORE? Cut education (and everything else) but spend more money on prisons. And of course a brand new bond issue for the capitol building.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/fallin-talks-priorities-for-legislative-session/article_15ab41d0-0cb5-5fbe-95ab-8341aa022156.html
Gov. Mary Fallin on Monday will propose additional dollars for the financially troubled Oklahoma Department of Corrections.
The agency is housing a rising number offenders and has problems retaining correctional officers and staffing prisons
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #214 on: February 01, 2016, 02:25:39 pm »

Yay for millions more in legal expenses for a lost cause trying to teach people that they aren't welcome here!  Woohoo! If you ain't Christian and wiling to wear it on your sleeve and pray on the street corner, you ain't welcome!

The monument was ruled unconstitutional because the State of Oklahoma cannot use public resources/property to directly or indirectly benefit any religion, and especially cannot do so to benefit one, or some religions over others.

What's the Amendment going to say that will still pass Federal constitutional muster?

"We hereby Amend the Oklahoma Constitution to allow state resources to be expended to benefit our chosen religion to the exclusion of all others, in Jesus name we pray, Amen."

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #215 on: February 02, 2016, 10:07:47 am »

Yay for millions more in legal expenses for a lost cause trying to teach people that they aren't welcome here!  Woohoo! If you ain't Christian and wiling to wear it on your sleeve and pray on the street corner, you ain't welcome!

The monument was ruled unconstitutional because the State of Oklahoma cannot use public resources/property to directly or indirectly benefit any religion, and especially cannot do so to benefit one, or some religions over others.

What's the Amendment going to say that will still pass Federal constitutional muster?

"We hereby Amend the Oklahoma Constitution to allow state resources to be expended to benefit our chosen religion to the exclusion of all others, in Jesus name we pray, Amen."

Just more of the same.... no one here could realistically expect anything different or any kind of improvement.

But ya gotta keep trying....

As I have said many times, since I first plagiarized this from someone - I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #216 on: February 02, 2016, 10:47:44 am »

Add Anthony Sykes to the list of worst legislators for introducing a bill to re-instate a law repealed as being archaic in 2004.  According to KRMG on the morning drive, the bill would seek to prevent someone from getting married should they have an STD.  I think the Constitution might have something to say about that but count on good ol’ Scott Pruitt to fight for this if it passes and is challenged.

“We want less government intrusion!  Oh, excuse us for intruding on your bedroom!"

Bill would require a blood test for STDs to get Oklahoma marriage license

OKLAHOMA CITY — An Oklahoma lawmaker wants those seeking marriage licenses to be tested for diseases.

Sen. Anthony Sykes, R-Moore, is the author of Senate Bill 733. Sykes did not respond to a request for comment.

“The State Board of Health shall require a blood test for the discovery of syphilis and other communicable or infectious diseases prior to the issuance of a marriage license,” according to the measure.

Applicants shall first file with the court clerk a certificate or affidavit from an Oklahoma licensed physician stating that each party has been given a blood test and that in the opinion of the physician, the applicants are not infected with syphilis or other communicable or infectious diseases, according to the bill.
If infected, that such diseases are not in a stage which may be communicable to the marriage partner, according to the bill.

The measure was not requested by the Oklahoma State Department of Health, said Jan Fox, director of the agency’s HIV/STD Service.

Legislation repealing a blood test for syphilis prior to getting a license was passed in 2004, she said. Data had shown in the prior five years, there were about 300,000 premarital tests for syphilis performed in Oklahoma with only 5 new cases confirmed, she said.

“What I would say is that just as it was in 2004, premarital testing for syphilis or any other infectious disease does not appear to have any usefulness for disease control efforts,” Fox said.

Those applying for marriage licenses were not people at risk of acquiring it, she said.

Nationally and in Oklahoma, the number of sexually transmitted diseases is on the rise for a number of reasons, she said.

Very good testing is available, she said. In addition, a number of people place themselves at risk, she said.

“It is very easy to find sex partners and easy to find anonymous sex partners,” she said. “That seems to be fueling the increase.”

Ryan Kiesel, American Civil Liberties Union of Oklahoma executive director, said the measure is built on the false premise that most wait to have sex until after they are married.

“I think there is certainly a potential Oklahomans could have very private medical data revealed to the public under this measure,” Kiesel said.

He said it is bizarre that a politician would run for office under the mantle of family values but work so hard to keep so many people from joining together to form a family.

Troy Stevenson is the executive director of Freedom Oklahoma, which supports same-sex marriage.

“We have real concerns about this blood test legislation and those concerns have yet to be answered,” Stevenson said. “It looks like this is targeting the HIV/AIDS community.”

He said the legislation appears to target people with communicable diseases.

As of Friday, the measure had been assigned to the Senate Judiciary Committee. Sykes chairs the committee, which meets on Tuesday. As of 5 p.m. Friday, the list of bills for consideration had not been posted.
Barbara Hoberock 405-528-2465

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/bill-would-require-a-blood-test-for-stds-to-get/article_79ec8f4d-85c2-5ae2-8f39-03759d9da210.html
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 10:49:34 am by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #217 on: February 02, 2016, 11:09:01 am »

Add Anthony Sykes to the list of worst legislators for introducing a bill to re-instate a law repealed as being archaic in 2004.  According to KRMG on the morning drive, the bill would seek to prevent someone from getting married should they have an STD.  I think the Constitution might have something to say about that but count on good ol’ Scott Pruitt to fight for this if it passes and is challenged.

“We want less government intrusion!  Oh, excuse us for intruding on your bedroom!"

Why is the state even in the marriage business?   

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #218 on: February 02, 2016, 11:48:19 am »

Why is the state even in the marriage business?   

Money.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
saintnicster
« Reply #219 on: February 03, 2016, 09:25:41 am »

Money.
  HA!  If they really wanted money, they'd open marriage up for everyone, not enforcing some BS morality play
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #220 on: April 27, 2016, 11:41:58 am »

Oklahoma Call for Constitutional Convention Wins Final Approval

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/oklahoma-call-constitutional-convention-wins-final-approval

A measure stating Oklahoma’s desire for a Constitutional Convention won final approval Tuesday by the state Senate.

House members passed Senate Joint Resolution 4 last week with amendments, meaning it needed another vote by senators.

Sen. Anthony Sykes was among the 16 "No" votes.

"I do not trust the other state legislatures to be of like mind," Sykes said. "Certainly, Oklahoma is one of the more conservative states in America, and I don't think we can do as good a job as our Founding Fathers did."

Sen. Mike Mazzei told his colleagues a required majority vote for proposed amendments’ ratification will serve as a check and balance.

"If the convention turns out to do a bad job or run away with too many changes, there's just no way that 38 states, 38 bodies like you, are going to ratify something stupid," Mazzei said.

Sen. Nathan Dahm suggested the measure, which mentions a balanced budget amendment, doesn’t go far enough and voted against it.

"This bill deals with appropriated federal dollars, one-third of the budget," Dahm said. "Out of that $3.7 trillion, $2.5 trillion will not be touched under this. That is a major reason for concern."

The measure has been in the works since last February. In all, 34 states must request a convention for Congress to call one. Oklahoma is the 29th.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #221 on: April 27, 2016, 01:34:53 pm »

That's 33 states that have called for a Constitutional Convention. 4 rescinded. But now that Oklahoma has raised the call, the right wingers are waiting for one more state to do so and they have announced plans to sue the three states that rescinded in an effort to force a constitutional convention.  Calls have been raised for Anti-Polygamy amendments, balanced budget (most common), tax limits on the wealthy, prevention of a one world federation, and term limits.

Oklahoma called for a convention for:
(1) Balanced Budget Amendment; and (2) Fiscal restraints on the federal government, limiting the power and jurisdiction of the federal government, and limiting the terms of office of federal officials, including members of Congress

Balanced budget amendment will never happen and most economists and policy experts say would be an utter disaster. "Fiscal restraints" means nothing, particularly coming from Oklahoma's $1bil+ deficit. "Limiting the power and jurisdiction of the Federal Government" already is in the constitution, need some clarity there. And terms limits in Oklahoma haven't seemed to do anything to improve the stock of our legislative body - so why would we do better in DC (if I want to keep electing the same idiot, why can't I)?

The stupid thing is - any state can propose any changes at the convention. It is the nuclear option. Want to strip out separation of church and state? Reinstate slavery? Re-up prohibition? Ban gay marriage? Adopt Sharia law (or whatever it is called when it is Christian fundamentalist law)? Whatever the convention decides to do then goes to a vote of the States. 

I will take our chances with the "more perfect" union I sit under now, as opposed to risking my fate to the yahoos in OKC.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #222 on: May 01, 2016, 09:24:52 pm »

I'm amazed the "con-con" hasn't gotten more attention.  This is the most dangerous thing the idiots in OKC have done in a long time...and that's saying something!

Basically, it's never been done, and nobody really knows how it would work, or what could happen.  But there's absolutely no way to limit the discussion to a debate about a balanced budget.  Basically, should a few more states sign on, the entire US Constitution would be up for debate.

Hey, let's toss out over 200 years of legal precedents and settled law!  Great idea!  We can start from scratch on that old constitution thing... and re-litigate it all over again!  Cool! (Might need to go ahead and get a 9th justice...)

I'm amazed that major corporations haven't been screaming about this, because it would certainly create the type of uncertainty that businesses hate.  As an average citizen, I'm terrified by the prospect of our current crop of idiots getting their grubby hands on the constitution.  I'll take my Bill of Rights and my voting rights and my civil rights unmolested, thanks.  If necessary, we can amend the constitution the old fashioned way.  One specific issue/amendment at a time.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #223 on: May 02, 2016, 09:51:53 am »

I will take our chances with the "more perfect" union I sit under now, as opposed to risking my fate to the yahoos in OKC.

Here's an idea:  When you write a bad law, blame the judiciary when they enforce what you wrote instead of what you meant.

(CNN) An Oklahoma lawmaker is promising to close what he called a "court-created loophole" in state law that blocked the prosecution of a teenager accused of sexually assaulting a drunken girl two years ago and set off cries of protest around the nation.
"I am horrified by the idea that we would allow these depraved rapists to face a lower charge simply because the victim is unconscious," Rep. Scott Biggs said earlier this week in announcing plans to rush a fix through the legislature.

The Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals ruled March 24 that a lower court judge was right to dismiss a forcible oral sodomy charge against a teenaged suspect because state law doesn't mention intoxication or unconsciousness among the five criteria describing the crime.

Biggs, a former prosecutor, said he thought the judges got bogged down on details and lost sight of the big picture.
"I think the judges made a grave error, but if they need more clarification, we are happy to give it to them by fixing the statute," he said. "Unfortunately, legal minds often get stuck on questions of semantics, when it is clear to most of us what the intent of the law is."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/29/us/oklahoma-sodomy-laws-inebriation/

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
rebound
City Father

« Reply #224 on: May 02, 2016, 10:13:30 am »

As the father of a 17 year old girl, I read up on this one pretty closely and am of two minds about it.   First, I completely agree that just because intoxication is not mentioned in the law is no reason not to prosecute.  This alone should not have factored into the decision and it's embarrassing to the state that it did.   However, as also the father of a 15 year old boy, it is very troubling that charges could be brought against a boy in this case.   To quote from one of the linked articles:

Afterward, the boy’s attorney mind bogglingly explained, “There was absolutely no evidence of force or him doing anything to make this girl give him oral sex other than she was too intoxicated to consent.” That last part is kind of what it’s all about, thanks!

And my question here is how do you prosecute this?  What is the level of intoxication needed for consent, etc?   It's troubling from both sides, and I don't know if there is an easy answer here.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 38   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org