A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:07:02 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Road Diet  (Read 9894 times)
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 08:17:36 am »

I know in downtown Tulsa, they are working on converting many streets to two way, which I think is a good step. But I know Boston is still four lanes. Is there that much traffic down Boston? Are people still driving pretty fast? When I drive down 5th (two lanes only) it seems much calmer and I don't feel the need to "hurry it up" as I do on Boston.

Just wondering.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 08:36:25 am »

There definitely is no need for four lanes on Boston. It isn't even that much of a through route for cars. The rightmost northbound lane between fourth and fifth is blocked by delivery trucks a big portion of the business day. It doesn't cause any major traffic backups.

It's been discussed previously on this board quite a bit. There's barely enough room to walk through the sidewalk dining areas at Elote and Mod's. But we have plenty of excess space for cars. That seems to be the way we want our downtown to develop. Cram pedestrians/sidewalk diners in a teeny little area, but make sure there's tons of space for cars.

It's even worse on the railroad overpasses. One sidewalk that's too narrow to walk beside your partner on, next to six lanes of road (four lanes plus width for parking or some such that's not even used). Then they use the narrow sidewalks to place road construction signs.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 08:40:23 am by TheTed » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org