A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:43:12 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The New York Cosmos are back. Can the Tulsa Roughnecks be far behind...?  (Read 38035 times)
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2013, 12:42:21 am »

"Let's do the timewarp again"...... the NY Cosmos versus the Tampa Bay Rowdies..... and they're wearing the same jerseys....  Grin

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSpDmzQ0Hro&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Minnesota United FC advertisement... "It's been 32 years..." [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYA10n-Yx0o[/youtube]

Btw, thirty years ago... October 1st, 1983, the Tulsa Roughnecks defeated the Toronto Blizzard 2-0 in the Soccer Bowl at BC Place Stadium in Vancouver in front of over 60k fans.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QubCSWZanEQ[/youtube]
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 12:45:22 am by TulsaRufnex » Logged

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2013, 12:36:51 pm »

If they build a stadium in the suburbs it is doomed to fail.  If this is going to happen it needs to be in downtown, or not at all.  I prefer the Athletics at Drillers stadium then something like the Spiritbank Center surrounded by Target and McDonalds.

John Klein: Lund is hopeful soccer-crazed Tulsa can get NASL team

By JOHN KLEIN Senior Sports Columnist | Posted: Thursday, October 3, 2013 12:00 am

Jeff Lund was there 21 years ago when Ray and Monte Miron revived the Central Hockey League and brought the Tulsa Ice Oilers back to life.

Lund says it is the perfect time for a similar revival.

Lund is part of a group that plans to bring the Tulsa Roughnecks soccer team and the NASL back to Tulsa as early as the spring of 2015.

"I look at this situation and it is very similar to what we saw with bringing the Oilers back to town," Lund said. "I think the timing is right for this to happen."

Lund says an ownership group in Oklahoma City that's planning on bringing an NASL franchise there in 2015 has started the process to put a team in Tulsa, too.

Lund is the local director of the effort, along with Tulsa businessman Warren Ross.

The effort to land an NASL franchise for Tulsa remains in the infancy stages, but the local group is way past a preliminary study. They have been in discussions with the University of Tulsa to use Chapman Stadium as a temporary home until a soccer-specific stadium can be funded and built somewhere in the metropolitan area.

The group, which hopes to secure the rights to the Roughnecks name, has met with Tulsa's two mayoral candidates and at least one suburban city.

"I feel very confident at this point that we will be granted a franchise," Lund said. "We are pretty far down that road.

"Tulsa has a lot going for it. Primary among the reasons is the great success the Roughnecks had in the old NASL."

It is ironic that a movement to revive the Roughnecks and the NASL comes at the same time that a celebration is being planned this month to commemorate the Roughnecks' NASL championship 30 years ago.

There are issues, however.

The NASL prefers metropolitan areas of at least 1 million people and Tulsa falls just a little short of that.

Plus, the NASL prefers soccer-specific stadiums, although not on as grand a scale as the MLS. The minimum seating capacity required by the NASL is 8,500. The MLS prefers soccer-specific stadiums that seat around 20,000 or more.

However, the local group has been told that a temporary home, such as Chapman, would be approved.

Yet, there is no deal with TU. Lund admitted they are looking at several stadiums in the Tulsa metro area.

Oklahoma City's NASL team plans to play at Taft Stadium, home to Oklahoma City public schools football for many years.

"I feel good about us finding a temporary home that will fulfill the requirements of the NASL," Lund said.

A soccer-specific stadium that seats 10,000-12,000 fans would cost in the neighborhood of $50 million-$60 million. Lund said it would be built with the idea of expansion to more than 20,000 seats in hopes of eventually landing an MLS franchise.

"There's no doubt in my mind that Tulsa would be a very successful MLS city, just like it was a very successful NASL franchise back 30 years ago," Lund said. "The times have obviously changed. We need to build ourself back up to the major league level of soccer, but there's no doubt in my mind that Tulsa would do that."

The group hoping to bring the Roughnecks back to Tulsa believe the 30,000 youth soccer players in the Tulsa metro area give them hope for immediate success.

"When we brought the Oilers back, there were about 50 youth hockey players in town," Lund said. "There are 30,000 youth soccer players in the Tulsa area. That is a huge number compared to any city in the country."

It is believed the NASL is more than happy to waive any market-size requirements because of Tulsa's successful history in the NASL and how close Tulsa is to the preferred 1 million in population.

The biggest hurdle may be trying to land support for a soccer-specific stadium.

The idea of building a soccer-specific stadium to lure an MLS team has been discussed in the past but was abandoned because of lack of public support.

In fact, Tulsa was approached several times in the past 15 years by the MLS about building a soccer-specific stadium to put a franchise in this city.

Tulsa declined to build a stadium, primarily because of uncertainty about the future of the MLS.

It is the success of the MLS in recent years that has helped spur an interest in so-called minor league soccer across the country.

It is very similar to the early 1990s when the NHL was hot with fans and spurred a minor league hockey boom.

That boom has fizzled in recent years as the NHL has dwindled in popularity.

"I think the success of the MLS has caused this great interest in soccer all across the country," Lund said. "You have cities all over the country wanting to get involved in soccer at some level.

"Seriously, when I look at the current situation of soccer, it reminds me so much of the attitude toward hockey when the CHL was brought back to life. A lot of cities wanted a minor league hockey team just like a lot of cities want a soccer team right now."
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2013, 01:29:36 pm »

If they build a stadium in the suburbs it is doomed to fail.  If this is going to happen it needs to be in downtown, or not at all.  I prefer the Athletics at Drillers stadium then something like the Spiritbank Center surrounded by Target and McDonalds.

Oh lord.  Big mistake to allow Jeff anywhere near a sports franchise. 

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2013, 01:37:23 pm »

I like the Athletics.  I say go big or go home.  Pursue MLS and a downtown soccer specific stadium.  If we get NASL at the same time as OKC, OKC will also pursue MLS and will assuredly beat us to the punch and at that point MLS will say the state is saturated.  The A's at Drillers Stadium works in the interim. 
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2013, 09:45:06 pm »

Does this mean, in your opinion, that the Prodigal group is moving toward setting up a USL team franchise in Tulsa?  

Hard to say.  Could just be a cheap ploy to throw a wrench into Brad and Jeff Lund's plans...

Oh lord.  Big mistake to allow Jeff anywhere near a sports franchise.  

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

+1

I like the Athletics.  I say go big or go home.  Pursue MLS and a downtown soccer specific stadium.  If we get NASL at the same time as OKC, OKC will also pursue MLS and will assuredly beat us to the punch and at that point MLS will say the state is saturated.  The A's at Drillers Stadium works in the interim.  

IMO, Drillers Stadium is going to be the best venue in most scenarios... here are the average per game attendances for the fall season in the NASL...

New York Cosmos - 7396
San Antonio Scorpions - 6540
Carolina Railhawks - 4551
Ft Lauderdale Strikers - 4253
Tampa Bay Rowdies - 4237
Minnesota United - 4210
Atlanta Silverbacks - 4109
FC Edmonton - 2543

Drillers Stadium holds 10,997 but I'd guess there are probably somewhere between 2,000 and 3,500 seats just past the first baseline in right field that have poor views of the pitch (excellent views of the beer tent, though)   Cool
Some east stands were added last summer but weren't all that popular; would hate to have them put thousands of bleacher seats out there... cuz it was nice to still be able to see the game while waiting in line for a beer... so, considering the setup there, you could probably announce any crowd of over 9k as a "sellout."
Also, keep in mind that regular season games are currently played until the beginning of November.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 09:49:23 pm by TulsaRufnex » Logged

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2013, 02:48:27 pm »

I would agree with NASL if they would could work an agreement with Driller's stadium, though I'm wondering how the A's and the new Roughnecks would work together, if both would continue to exist or if they could reach some collaborative agreement.  Setting up shop at Skelly would make the crowds look very weak since it would never sell close to 30K, but could come close to 10K at Driller's stadium.  Can Skelly even still be set up for soccer after the renovation?  I know many stadium renovations have moved the stands closer to the football field and done away with the extra room needed for soccer.
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2013, 03:38:04 pm »

I would agree with NASL if they would could work an agreement with Driller's stadium, though I'm wondering how the A's and the new Roughnecks would work together, if both would continue to exist or if they could reach some collaborative agreement.  Setting up shop at Skelly would make the crowds look very weak since it would never sell close to 30K, but could come close to 10K at Driller's stadium.  Can Skelly even still be set up for soccer after the renovation?  I know many stadium renovations have moved the stands closer to the football field and done away with the extra room needed for soccer.

Drillers' Stadium could be configurated in a U-shape which would make it more soccer specific.  Go ahead and expand it to 20,000 seats)

As to idea of Tulsa supporting two soccer teams; why not plan for a direct leapfrog to MLS.  Metropolitan Tulsa should eclipse 1.1 million by the 2020 census.  MLS plans to add four teams by 2020.  MLS would have the whole Tulsa market to itself and with Wichita (135 miles west ) & Oklahoma City (100 miles southwest)_within a 150 mile radius you would be have those markets as well.

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2013, 05:58:58 pm »

Not sure I follow your logic, Laramie, on the need/want to expand the old ballpark to 20,000 seats...

"If you had the power to build a soccer specific stadium in the Tulsa area tomorrow, where would you build it and why?"

From October 8th posting on the Tulsa Athletics' facebook page... scroll down on the link below... (around fifty replies from snarky to serious)

https://www.facebook.com/ttownsoccer?fref=ts

« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 06:36:34 pm by TulsaRufnex » Logged

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2013, 03:41:11 pm »

Drillers' Stadium could be configurated in a U-shape which would make it more soccer specific.  Go ahead and expand it to 20,000 seats)

As to idea of Tulsa supporting two soccer teams; why not plan for a direct leapfrog to MLS.  Metropolitan Tulsa should eclipse 1.1 million by the 2020 census.  MLS plans to add four teams by 2020.  MLS would have the whole Tulsa market to itself and with Wichita (135 miles west ) & Oklahoma City (100 miles southwest)_within a 150 mile radius you would be have those markets as well.

Don't forget Northwest Arkansas.  Lots of hispanics there too.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2014, 08:26:42 am »

Just like this thread. They are reborn. Let's welcome your 2015 Tulsa Roughnecks!
They are working on colors and logo? I figured that would be a given. Season tickets are on sale now.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/soccer/fans-vote-to-resurrect-roughnecks-name-for-new-tulsa-pro/article_5f48c868-d653-5fc7-bc2e-c1f9567273b1.html

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2014, 10:14:38 am »

Hey Ruf. Now this is a Stadium.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2587584/EXCLUSIVE-First-pictures-Beckhams-planned-stadium-new-Miami-MLS-side.html

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2014, 07:41:55 pm »

I guess I have a bit of a soft spot for this old stadium... and for grassroots efforts and sweat equity...

TEAM OWNER!

And the COACH!

But I guess, according to RM, these guys are cheap...  Tongue

But I say..... do it for the children!   Grin

"We will be hosting a press conference with a bunch of great news! Join us in two weeks on Friday, April 4th at Fassler Hall at 3pm.
Did we mention there will be FREE beer thanks to our friends at Dead Armadillo Brewery??"
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 07:54:41 pm by TulsaRufnex » Logged

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2014, 08:37:50 pm »

Having the team owner and coach painting the fence somehow proves the team isn't doing everything as cheap as possible.

Got it.

Power is nothing till you use it.
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2014, 08:28:27 pm »

Tell you what, RM....
Your disrespect for the sweat equity of Tulsans like Sonny and Dr. Kern and Coach Joey Ryan who are putting everything on the line for the success of the Tulsa Athletics speaks volumes.

I'll be supporting these guys any day of the week over the fake Roughnecks and their New Hampshire and OKC-based owners who don't know diddley-squat about who the real Roughnecks were.
I'm sorry that the only thing that seems to appeal to you these days are the efforts of out of state multi-millionaires who got a taxpayer funded state of the art ballpark....

https://www.facebook.com/events/294478070712906/
"The Tulsa Athletics will be holding a press conference on April 4th at 3pm at Fassler Hall. Everyone is welcome to attend!
Dead Armadillo Brewery will be providing free Dead Ball Hooligan Ale while supplies last!"

Season ticket sales moving along nicely... single game tickets now on sale!
https://www.choicesecure03.net/mainapp/eventschedule.aspx?Clientid=EXPO3&group=npah

http://www.energyfc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.article&articleID=D4EDD5F4-41B4-E311-A1F9-000C296FBAA9

OKC Energy FC announced today that respected local businessman Tim McLaughlin has joined the management team as an equal partner with Bob Funk Jr.

The partnership represents a major step towards uniting the Oklahoma City soccer community and strengthens Prodigal’s commitment to bring top level professional soccer to Oklahoma City including a potential Major League Soccer team in the years ahead.

“We’re pleased to have Tim join OKC Energy FC as an equal partner,” said Prodigal owner Bob Funk Jr. “His passion for the continued success of Oklahoma City and its citizens is unmatched. By uniting our efforts, it brings us another step closer to our shared vision  of bringing a Major League Soccer (MLS) team to Oklahoma City in the future.”

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53wGeF6TEKI[/youtube]

And, of course, if OKC gets to their goal of securing an MLS team, guess what the Tulsa Roughnecks become?
A farm club for the OKC Energy, that's what.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 09:23:26 pm by TulsaRufnex » Logged

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2014, 09:32:48 pm »

I don't disrespect them for doing it. You are the one who can't accept another soccer team in town. You forget I went to Athletic games, I organized a crowd to go with me. I went on this forum and talked it up.

What changed was your attacks and your perception that the new team was the enemy.

I planned to support both teams until you went all hooligan. When the commenters on the newspaper coverage started attacking me for being excited about another team and you defended them, you lost me as a supporter.

Keep painting that fence and believing it makes you the better soccer program. To the rest of us, it is just paint.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org