A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:21:36 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drones In Our Skies  (Read 36478 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« on: May 15, 2012, 07:35:37 pm »

I have been holding off on this issue to get an understanding its scope. Right now, I am in the "not concerned" corner. However, if this turns out to be a Skynet thing, then I am busting out my flux capacitor to change my opinion.

Surveillance aircraft used by the U.S. military overseas could soon be coming to the skies above Los Angeles County.

The FAA has streamlined the process that would allow agencies to fly smaller, unarmed versions of the drones that hunt down terrorists in places such as Pakistan and Afghanistan.

While the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department has not yet applied for an application to fly drones over our skies, its Homeland Security chief Bob Osborne said drones could be in the department’s future — with some caveats.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/05/15/faa-to-ease-rules-for-police-agencies-to-fly-unmanned-drones/

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 08:00:19 pm »

I would also be unconcerned if we didn't keep hanging on to the war on drugs as an excuse to erode civil liberties as much as possible.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 08:11:30 pm »

I have been holding off on this issue to get an understanding its scope. Right now, I am in the "not concerned" corner. However, if this turns out to be a Skynet thing, then I am busting out my flux capacitor to change my opinion.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/05/15/faa-to-ease-rules-for-police-agencies-to-fly-unmanned-drones/

Someone better call Sarah Connor and Ahnold....

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 08:38:20 pm »

Are they quieter than the choppers? Do they emit a buzz?
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 08:41:23 pm »

Isn't this old news?  I thought state and local law enforcement had been piling onto the drone bandwagon for at least a year or two, if not more. 
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 08:43:10 pm »

Isn't this old news?  I thought state and local law enforcement had been piling onto the drone bandwagon for at least a year or two, if not more. 

Aw great. THAT'S what those black helicopters over my house have been. Thanks we.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 08:44:50 pm »

Nope.  Those were just black helicopters.  The drones are silent and invisible. 
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 08:49:09 pm »

The drones are silent and invisible.  

Not really.  They just fly high enough to be hard to hear and see for their size.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/predator1.htm

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 08:55:42 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 09:57:39 pm »

Don't worry, I'll be building my own drone soon enough. I'll give you guys some camera time. Wink

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 10:48:20 pm »

It’s okay, I know where Bruno keeps his stash.

I was truly disappointed to not see any foil-wrapped mortar boards at the two OU commencements I attended last Saturday.  Some great creativity, but no foil, damn it!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 10:54:47 am »

30,000 Drones To Fly Over The US by 2030

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2012/06/20126247243722488.html

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/apl/aviation_forecasts/aerospace_forecasts/2011-2031/media/2011%20Forecast%20Doc.pdf
Never mind big brother, the kid next door will have a camera up with a live feed.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 11:43:53 am »

I’m not generally a big conspiracy person, but you pair drones with the Patriot Act and the new NSA supercomputer being built in the Utah desert to aggregate all of the information that the NSA “collects” today and what the government knows about all of us and what we are doing will be staggering. Privacy is SO 20th century.

The NSA Is Building the Country’s Biggest Spy Center (Watch What You Say)
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/all/

The machine is real, Feds building that ‘Person of Interest’ computer
http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/tv/the_machine_is_real_vchDOSJXWs20IaBUJkk9CO

It goes online in September 2013

« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 11:46:06 am by swake » Logged
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 11:44:27 am »

Target practice for police snipers?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 11:46:51 am »

My solution to big brother monitoring my life is to have a boring enough life that no one cares.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 11:50:00 am by jacobi » Logged

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 11:49:02 am »

I’m not generally a big conspiracy person, but you pair drones with the Patriot Act and the new NSA supercomputer being built in the Utah desert to aggregate all of the information that the NSA “collects” today and what the government knows about all of us and what we are doing will be staggering. Privacy is SO 20th century.

Most of the drones involved in that may be flying cell cites that intercept phone conversations, doing Siri-like conversions of speech to text to be analyzed by computers for hot keywords and phrases.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org