A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:22:24 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Palace Clothing Building/Old Arby's  (Read 108500 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2012, 10:35:38 am »

Has anyone been keeping track of how many buildings have been closed, sold or demolished in order to avoid the Downtown Tulsa Improvement (ballpark) fee? 

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2012, 10:44:31 am »

Has anyone been keeping track of how many buildings have been closed, sold or demolished in order to avoid the Downtown Tulsa Improvement (ballpark) fee? 

The Assesment fee is a red herring. The Tulsa World came out in favor of the fee and the ball park.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2012, 03:20:48 pm »

Big difference between a newspaper and say, a fin tube manufacturer as far as first and second priority.  Naturally, a newspaper has to keep the books in order to survive, but it should, by appearances, be an ambassador of a community.  I really don’t see that in the Lorton’s World.

There is also a difference in what the Lorton's do and what the editorial board does.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2012, 03:50:57 pm »

How did it come to be that the assessment was based off of square footage and not assessed value. If it were based on value at least those that benefited the most from the placement of the ballpark would have paid the most. Plus, if it were based off of value maybe it would discourage encourage tear downs (however much it may is debatable). I only say that because it would seem with all the tear downs that land downtown seems to more valuable as a parking lot.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 04:14:42 pm by erfalf » Logged

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Tulsa Zephyr
Activist

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2012, 04:02:08 pm »

Might be a good spot for another QuickTrip   Angry

"My ambition is handicapped by laziness."  Charles Bukowski
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2012, 07:32:53 pm »

If it were a new urban design with upper floors and only street or garage parking, that wouldn't be half bad. I don't recall that building being anything unique. While there's not really a need for a QT per se, it would tend to lend some legitimacy to downtown as a whole in certain circles.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2012, 07:39:54 pm »

Only if they can close the street.

Power is nothing till you use it.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2012, 08:56:39 am »

I don't know if this rumor is true, but if so it is very disturbing.  While the editorial stance of the T.World is separate from its business side, this would be a public relations disaster for them (whether the buliding is owned by the T.World or some entity owned by the Lortons).  It would also be hard to take the T.World's editorial coverage seriously in the future on any matter related to downtown development.

Perhaps it was this rumor, and not just the Coney Island motel demo, that motivated Councilor Ewing to propose a temporary moratorium on downtown demos.  What is the status of that issue?

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2012, 09:40:09 am »

I don't know if this rumor is true, but if so it is very disturbing.  While the editorial stance of the T.World is separate from its business side, this would be a public relations disaster for them (whether the buliding is owned by the T.World or some entity owned by the Lortons).  It would also be hard to take the T.World's editorial coverage seriously in the future on any matter related to downtown development.

Perhaps it was this rumor, and not just the Coney Island motel demo, that motivated Councilor Ewing to propose a temporary moratorium on downtown demos.  What is the status of that issue?

I’d like to think you are correct, but Tulsa has a short memory when it comes to this kind of stuff.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2012, 09:40:19 am »

The "Arby's building" was originally Palace Clothiers.  It was built in 1917 as a 5-story building, and then later enlarged to 9 stories...

Here is a photo of the original 5-story building:
http://cdm15020.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15020coll1/id/204/rec/5

And here it is in 1925...
http://cdm15020.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15020coll1/id/192/rec/15

Edited: Well, darn, can't get the photos to appear here.  I think I got the links right, though.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 09:48:31 am by PonderInc » Logged
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2012, 09:53:43 am »

I’d like to think you are correct, but Tulsa has a short memory when it comes to this kind of stuff.

I probably overstated my optimism - rarely a problem I have.  That said, I think downtown's recent success would draw a lot more attention to something like this than it would have a few years ago.  Plus, unlike the downtown motor lodge, this building is not an eye sore.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2012, 10:09:14 am »

The building is right in the center of the CBD, there are  many thousands of people that work within a single block of the building. It’s three blocks from the BOK Center, four blocks from the Blue Dome and six blocks from the Brady. There’s a parking garage directly across the street. It’s an easy residential project
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2012, 10:30:31 am »

It's also a contributing building to the Oil Capitol Historic District that was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in December 2010.

This qualifies the building for both state and federal rehabilitation tax credits (unless our dear state legislators succeeded in screwing that pooch).  I believe the state tax credit survived, so this building would qualify for 20% state and 20% federal tax credits off the total cost of rehabilitation.  Basically, you can get 40% of your money back if you're willing to rehab the building.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2012, 12:16:10 pm »

I don't recall that building being anything unique.

And this is what happens if you don't look up, kids.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2012, 12:24:31 pm »

The "Arby's building" was originally Palace Clothiers.  It was built in 1917 as a 5-story building, and then later enlarged to 9 stories...

Here is a photo of the original 5-story building:
http://cdm15020.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15020coll1/id/204/rec/5

And here it is in 1925...
http://cdm15020.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15020coll1/id/192/rec/15

Edited: Well, darn, can't get the photos to appear here.  I think I got the links right, though.

Great pics and I love the building having been in it when it was Globe but...the pic is from 1914 and it was already built, not 1917. I know, details, details..... Cheesy

onward...through the fog
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org