A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:20:36 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: double standard for talking bad about the President  (Read 35760 times)
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2018, 12:26:37 pm »

@cannon. I obviously haven't looked into it thoroughly except to say that I understand economic and migratory patterns/timing and population likely have far more to do with the wealth of an area much more than political leaning.

I just hate the lazy blue states fund red states "logic". There is no data to support that because state A is left leaning, it is able to raise more taxes.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2018, 12:33:03 pm »

And I can guarantee that I got more from the Trump tax cut (at least temporarily) than I did from the $1000 Obama gave me.

So did they:
https://www.nbcnews.com/business/economy/harley-davidson-workers-stunned-plant-closure-after-tax-cut-n876901

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2018, 01:19:20 pm »

I just hate the lazy blue states fund red states "logic". There is no data to support that because state A is left leaning, it is able to raise more taxes.

Well, it is a fact that the blue states kick in tax money that goes to subsidies the red states, but the reasons are legion.  

I'd guess the heart of it goes to education - the economies in most of the blue states (and blue cities for that matter) rely on and attract an educated work force.  From silicon valley tech to NYC finance.  From the research triangle to Austin.  From Amazon and Microsoft in Seattle to the multinationals in DC.  And educated people tend to make more money as well as favor liberal policies. Where there is an educated workforce, there tends to be more blue.

There is also a race based component.  Non-white people, Hispanics and immigrants have tended to feel uncomfortable with the GOP for the last 65 years or so, so where there are more such people there tends to be more blue also.

Of course, living with a large and diverse group of people also correlates to a liberal leaning. Probably a combination of the education and race reasons, coupled with simply being around many different groups of of people. Monocultures tend to be more conservative than diverse groups.

Then there is an inherited attribute to political leanings as well. Either because the values are passed on, or they simply choose to cheer for the same team. Upstate NY and the tri-state region of Iowa/Wisc/and Minnesota is Democratic in spite of being rural, white, and not reliant on a highly educated work force.

There are tons of studies out there on the topic and they can't fully agree - so I surely can't pretend to have it figured out.  Just my musing. But the correlation is strong for whatever reason and one struggles to find an affluent, highly populated area that is bright red).

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 01:23:30 pm by cannon_fodder » Logged

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2018, 01:42:43 pm »

But the correlation is strong for whatever reason and one struggles to find an affluent, highly populated area that is bright red).

Look at the red circles around your "affluent, highly populated" areas. I found them for you. They are called the suburbs, where many of those well educated, well to do people live.

Atlanta, Salt Lake City, Denver, Dallas, San Antonio, Charlotte, Seattle, Philly. They aren't that hard to find if you are looking.   Grin

If you can zoom in a bit, you often see them in incredibly affluent areas like Orange County and Greenwich CT which have both been known to lean right.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 01:47:22 pm by erfalf » Logged

Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2018, 02:47:07 pm »

Look at the red circles around your "affluent, highly populated" areas. I found them for you. They are called the suburbs, where many of those well educated, well to do people live.

Atlanta, Salt Lake City, Denver, Dallas, San Antonio, Charlotte, Seattle, Philly. They aren't that hard to find if you are looking.   Grin

If you can zoom in a bit, you often see them in incredibly affluent areas like Orange County and Greenwich CT which have both been known to lean right.

Convervative used to mean you were better educated but that has gone out the window.

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2018, 02:54:35 pm »

Let's see. Disagree with policies of the Obama administration  and the left calls you a bigoted  racist hater suffering from white privilege.

Support Trump or any of his policies and the left calls you a bigoted racist hater suffering from white privilege.

Lol...Its all they have....!!!

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2018, 02:55:09 pm »

Dude, if you are struggling with a coke habit, help is available.

Lol...Are you going to cry next or what..Huh

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2018, 02:56:06 pm »

I'll bite.
Calling out the president's racism is not in the same ballpark as saying racist things

Uhhh...What the love...Huh

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2018, 03:35:33 pm »

If one looks at Atlanta, Denver, Dallas, San Antonio, Charlotte, Seattle, Philly and even Salt Lake - they are blue (probably some hue of purple really).   Yes, you can find less densely populated and less diverse suburbs that are more red - it isn't a revelation affluent white suburbs lean more Republican.  That goes hand in hand with the correlation data.  The data doesn't mean that all of any group have one view or another, but the correlation between educated and wealthy areas and DNC votes is well established.  The only interesting thing is trying to extrapolate the reasons.

Both Orange County and Greenwich are high on independent voters.   Both voted against Trump. Both are currently Democratic on the national level with an apparent history of voting for who they think is best, not party allegiance, and mixed in local races.  Seem like healthy politics now that I look at them.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2018, 03:53:45 pm »

Uhhh...What the love...Huh

Good post. Enlightening as always.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2018, 04:17:36 pm »

If one looks at Atlanta, Denver, Dallas, San Antonio, Charlotte, Seattle, Philly and even Salt Lake - they are blue (probably some hue of purple really).   Yes, you can find less densely populated and less diverse suburbs that are more red - it isn't a revelation affluent white suburbs lean more Republican.  That goes hand in hand with the correlation data.  The data doesn't mean that all of any group have one view or another, but the correlation between educated and wealthy areas and DNC votes is well established.  The only interesting thing is trying to extrapolate the reasons.

Both Orange County and Greenwich are high on independent voters.   Both voted against Trump. Both are currently Democratic on the national level with an apparent history of voting for who they think is best, not party allegiance, and mixed in local races.  Seem like healthy politics now that I look at them.

So in effect your correlary evidence that wealth and smart equal DNC votes is better than my evidence that wealthy smart people don't vote DNC... because??? you say so.

Outside of a few pockets of gentrified areas in major cities, the major urban areas are largely filled with less affluent, more minority based populations. This literally flies in the face of your hypothesis. Unless you are suggesting that what I just said is actually incorrect, and the city centers are actually filled with the most affluent educated populations in the country.

Personally I think your "theory" has some holes in it and kind of smells like the old "my side is smarter than your side" thing. Personally I think both sides are more or less equally smart (or stupid). Call me cynical.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 05:11:05 pm by erfalf » Logged

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2018, 05:10:41 pm »

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnns-brooke-baldwin-rips-samantha-bee-in-fiery-monologue-conservatives-often-right-to-claim-double-standard/

Brooke Baldwin @ CNN touches on this double standard that she admits seems to exist.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2018, 06:22:37 pm »

Hmm....how people forget.  Ted Nugent called Hillary a 'toxic c**t'.  Also called for the execution of both HRC and POTUS Obama.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2018, 06:48:34 pm »

Hmm....how people forget.  Ted Nugent called Hillary a 'toxic c**t'.  Also called for the execution of both HRC and POTUS Obama.

You prove the point well.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ted-nugent-threatens-to-kill-barack-obama-and-hillary-clinton-during-vicious-onstage-rant-20070824

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/samantha-bee-on-ivanka-trumps-inaction-amid-migrant-crisis-w520938

I doubt you notice a difference in the tone of the headlines.

Party first everyone, don't you know. I guess no side wants to be the first side to practice what they preach (consistency).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 06:51:28 pm by erfalf » Logged

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2018, 07:03:56 pm »

Oh I forgot about the whole Laura Ingraham whiny comment that completely blew up for a few days. Yeah, leg to stand on when demanding consistency.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org