A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:29:19 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: double standard for talking bad about the President  (Read 36483 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« on: April 24, 2012, 07:04:51 pm »

Remember when the Dixie Chicks said this about the President?

"We're ashamed that the President of the United States (George W. Bush) is from Texas".

The statement offended many country music fans, who thought it rude and unpatriotic, and the ensuing controversy fanned by politicians and mass media led to the eventual cancellation of their American tour that year. The incident led to hate mail, death threats, and the public destruction of their albums in protest. A Colorado radio station suspended two of its disc jockeys on May 6 for playing music by the Dixie Chicks

Remember when Ted Nugent said this?

In a Romney stump speech at the 2012 NRA Convention in St. Louis, Nugent said, "If Barack Obama becomes the president in November, again, I will either be dead or in jail by this time next year." He also compared the Obama administration to coyotes who needed to be shot, and encouraged voters to "chop [Democrats'] heads off in November.

Where is the entertainment industry outrage? Where are the protests?

Power is nothing till you use it.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 07:09:32 pm »

Where is the entertainment industry outrage? Where are the protests?

They learned to be more understanding of diverse points of view.

Grin

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 07:14:53 pm »

I think the fact that Bain Capital (company that Romney founded) owns Clear Channel radio has a little to do with it. That is the same media conglomerate that broadcasts Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 07:53:14 pm »

I think the fact that Bain Capital (company that Romney founded) owns Clear Channel radio has a very little to do with it. That is the same media conglomerate that broadcasts Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity.

There is more than Clear Channel radio in the entertainment business.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 08:03:34 pm »

Yes, but they dominate. They own 850 radio stations and broadcast programming on 5,000 radio stations in America. They claim 238 million listeners. They also own 400 television stations.

I'd say that is more than a little influence.

jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 08:17:32 pm »

Insert Quote

Yes, but they dominate. They own 850 radio stations and broadcast programming on 5,000 radio stations in America. They claim 238 million listeners. They also own 400 television stations.

I know we aren't supposed to swear on here, (who knows why...) but part of the merch that I made for my old punk rock act was sticks that said, "love Clear Channel" <----- It's in quotes, see!

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 08:22:21 pm »

14,420 Radio Stations in the US
Posted on March 11, 2010 by Paul Riismandel
At the end of last month the FCC released its tallies for the total number of broadcast stations in the US as of Sept. 31, 2009 and Dec. 31, 2009. When you see the big number of 14,420 full-service radio stations it’s a big reminder that radio is still an enormous media presence in this country. This total represents an increase of 23 stations just from the end of September.

http://www.radiosurvivor.com/2010/03/11/14420-radio-stations-in-the-us/

That takes a bit of the punch out of owning 850 stations. Programming on 5000 stations is not insignificant but it's about 35%, not an overwhelming majority. 

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 09:36:31 pm »

I don't see the parallel. The Dixie Chicks, on the eve of war in Iraq and less than 2 years after 9/11, said what they did across the ocean. They are/were a country & western act and, I hate to stereotype much, but their target market is perhaps a bit right of center. To their credit they apologized. Nugent, on the other hand, did not have the same circumstances as the DC--although he did have to answer to the SS (unsure if hookers were involved). Still, while I disagree with both camps, speaking out is their right  and whatever the consequence is on them.

With that said, the memory loss which has occurred in here since Bush left needs to me evaluated by professionals.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 09:43:54 pm »

I don't see the parallel. The Dixie Chicks, on the eve of war in Iraq and less than 2 years after 9/11, said what they did across the ocean. They are/were a country & western act and, I hate to stereotype much, but their target market is perhaps a bit right of center. To their credit they apologized. Nugent, on the other hand, did not have the same circumstances as the DC--although he did have to answer to the SS (unsure if hookers were involved). Still, while I disagree with both camps, speaking out is their right  and whatever the consequence is on them.

With that said, the memory loss which has occurred in here since Bush left needs to me evaluated by professionals.

No memory loss here.  I like to go after both of them.  It's just that Bush had SO much more, for SO much longer a time!  But Blowbama is gonna catch up here if he wins re-election with his plans to gut the US Constitution, so am looking forward to really getting to go after his BS, too.  Big problem as of today is that he has just been entirely too moderate Republicontin to get much traction.  Kind of a Joe Lieberman/John McCain kind of guy, so really don't have much to go after right now.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 09:47:37 pm »

With that said, the memory loss which has occurred in here since Bush left needs to me be evaluated by professionals.

I think it has.  The professional consensus is that not enough memory loss of the disrespect for both the man and the office during his term has occurred. 

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 09:53:16 pm »

Big problem as of today is that he has just been entirely too moderate Republicontin to get much traction. 

You must be looking east toward the California Pacific (left) coast to say that.  Obama may not be as far left as some of his supporters would have liked but to call him a moderate Republican is a bit too much literary exaggeration.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 10:04:19 pm »

You must be looking east toward the California Pacific (left) coast to say that.  Obama may not be as far left as some of his supporters would have liked but to call him a moderate Republican is a bit too much literary exaggeration.

He's being Reagan!

Hell, compared to today, Reagan was a moderate!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 10:08:47 pm »

He's being Reagan!
Hell, compared to today, Reagan was a moderate!

Gee, I was wrong.  You are looking at the west coast of Maui, not California.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 11:53:51 pm »

Gee, I was wrong.  You are looking at the west coast of Maui, not California.

I was going to list all the things that Obama has done that follow Reagan's example quite closely, but I realized it would be easier to list the things that are different. Then I realized that the one thing I could think of, signing Romney's health care bill into law, isn't any more left wing than the one that requires hospitals to provide emergency care to the indigent.

We got the crappy undeclared wars (now with drones!), we got the tax cuts, we got the massive public works expenditure, and the list goes on. Next, it'll be the All New S&L Show.

Ok, ok, to be fair he appointed a couple of Supreme Court justices who will probably turn out to be slightly to the left of Reagan's appointees.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 05:43:25 am »

I was going to list all the things that Obama has done that follow Reagan's example quite closely, but I realized it would be easier to list the things that are different. Then I realized that the one thing I could think of, signing Romney's health care bill into law, isn't any more left wing than the one that requires hospitals to provide emergency care to the indigent.

We got the crappy undeclared wars (now with drones!), we got the tax cuts, we got the massive public works expenditure, and the list goes on. Next, it'll be the All New S&L Show.

Ok, ok, to be fair he appointed a couple of Supreme Court justices who will probably turn out to be slightly to the left of Reagan's appointees.

The basic philosophy differences of what government should be doing between Obama and Reagan are not insignificant.  After all is said and done, Republicans are not always successful in promoting pollution, killing Granny......

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org