A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:03:37 am
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 49   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "If I had a son, he’d look like Trayvon."  (Read 292553 times)
dbacks fan
« Reply #420 on: April 20, 2012, 02:29:21 am »

MARSHALL'S
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #421 on: April 20, 2012, 07:58:59 am »

Sometimes cash flow wins over eventual economy.  My brother once bought a brand new car because the payments on the new car would be the same as the payments on the car he already had.  The car he already had needed tires and some relatively minor repairs that he could not afford on top of the existing car payments.  He wound up making payments for a few more years than he originally planned but the cash flow was there.

False economy.  That is one prime example of how people avoid the burden of accumulating wealth...

And if he could not afford relatively minor upkeep, he certainly couldn't afford a new car - the solution is a good, older used model, with lower (or no) payment, and still relatively minor repair costs.  I joke with a sister that she trades in a car when the tank gets low on gas - amazingly close to true.  But then, she can afford that kind of thing... I bought one of her "out of gas" vehicles one time, and have since put 220,000 miles on it and still going strong - about halfway through what I expect to be the life of the engine.  With maintenance that has been way under $100 per month, even with a new transmission at 200,000+ miles.

And government is doing the same wrong headed BS.  With a return of 200, 300, 400% or more, even the most idiotic legislator....oh, wait!  I forgot, I'm in Oklahoma...  we got Failin, and Kern and Jim Inhofe.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #422 on: April 20, 2012, 08:07:12 am »

Like a Japanese car in "The Fast And Furious" This thread sure can drift.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #423 on: April 20, 2012, 09:33:01 am »

False economy.  That is one prime example of how people avoid the burden of accumulating wealth...
And if he could not afford relatively minor upkeep, he certainly couldn't afford a new car - the solution is a good, older used model, with lower (or no) payment, and still relatively minor repair costs. 

He had some other relatively short term expenses at the time that made the new car a good option.  The new car was the same payment per month.  It was brand new, with warranty.  The existing car was near the end of its payments but not near enough and it wouldn't pass inspection.  Remember car inspections?  Trying to sell his car for an even older one which needed fixing didn't make sense.  The first thing he would have to do is pay off the existing car which meant that he would not be able to buy a car as good as the one he had.  Even one with lower payments would have been a probable step down in reliability.   He was driving a Honda Civic so it was not as though he could step down from something like a Mercedes.  He fully admitted that in the long run it would cost more but he had a reliable car for the same cash flow that wasn't going to cost any maintenance until his other expenses were paid off.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #424 on: April 20, 2012, 09:48:31 am »

The back of Zimmerman's head?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #425 on: April 20, 2012, 09:52:13 am »

The back of Zimmerman's head?

Fake blood on a zombie on Halloween.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #426 on: April 20, 2012, 10:17:24 am »

Ya, I would have to say Hollywood can do so much better than that.
Back to the drawing board.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #427 on: April 20, 2012, 10:41:44 am »

He probably got that mark from the cops while getting into the police car.

Power is nothing till you use it.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #428 on: April 21, 2012, 07:30:32 pm »

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #429 on: April 25, 2012, 04:03:02 pm »

The racial makeup of this case seems to be changing yet again.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/25/us-usa-florida-shooting-zimmerman-idUSBRE83O18H20120425

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #430 on: April 25, 2012, 07:57:28 pm »

Are we still talking about this?  It seems at the moment that George wasn't acting in self defense but the facts could change.  That said...

Guido, could you quit being a divisive pretend lawyer for 10 seconds and not make this about what the president had fed to him when he was a kid?  Also, your handle is offensive.

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #431 on: April 25, 2012, 08:03:40 pm »

so he's a white Hispanic black or is it white black Hispanic ?

my political correctness studies aren't up to date....

I don't know if Zimmerman is a racist or not (I tend to doubt it), but I don't think that having a great-great grandparent of "Afro-Peruvian" descent negates the possibility. We all came from the same region...

This was never all about race...more about lousy legislation and pathetic homicide investigating.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #432 on: April 26, 2012, 08:12:56 am »

George picked a Kel-Tec PF-9 9mm handgun, a popular, lightweight weapon.

A Kel-Tec?!? Oh the shame!

So a few things we learned:  he’s not half Jewish since dad was a Baptist and he’s actually Latino since his mother was Peruvian.

The story paints a picture of someone who was wound up a bit tight over a rising crime rate in his community, definitely not a racist who was simply looking for an opportunity to shoot a black person.  It’s unfortunate that the usual race-baiters can’t seem to see that.

Regardless of the verdict, Zimmerman has already lost.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #433 on: April 26, 2012, 10:33:24 am »

Your right Conan. There is not a hole deep enough that he can hide in. The race hate is going to find him anywhere he goes. His life basicly has been media ruined.

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #434 on: April 26, 2012, 10:56:33 am »

Your right Conan. There is not a hole deep enough that he can hide in. The race hate is going to find him anywhere he goes. His life basicly has been media ruined.

Do not be idiotic...first, it's you're. And secondly, blaming the media for this retards action goes beyond the pale. Now, forget the discussion and attack me for using the term "retard." I'm holding it for you....
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 49   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org