A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:07:22 am
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 49   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "If I had a son, he’d look like Trayvon."  (Read 292597 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #345 on: April 11, 2012, 02:03:28 pm »

I think Jordan made it a point to not end up echoing the gross missteps of the Sanford PD, and that was good for us.
But... people are going to expect the same exuberance for less high-profile crimes, now that they see how fast the wheels can turn.

Look, there’s a huge difference between the Sanford incident and the Tulsa massacre and how the laws apply to each.  There was apparently sufficient evidence at the time that Zimmerman had been assaulted by Martin according to police accounts at the scene.  There was enough room for doubt as to Zimmerman’s culpability in the crime he’s accused of committing.

In the Tulsa case, these two pieces of smile drove around north Tulsa shooting people at random.  There was absolutely zero doubt about this not being a case of self-defense.  It’s obviously not near as clear-cut in the Sanford case.  That’s why the wheels turned so quickly.  Secondly, when you have a mass or serial killer on the loose, you have to move fast to contain them, therefore, they will get as many hands on the case as they can soon as possible.

It’s got far less to do with public appearances and acting quick because another case 1500 miles away turned into a clusterfark.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #346 on: April 11, 2012, 02:13:49 pm »

It’s got far less to do with public appearances and acting quick because another case 1500 miles away turned into a clusterfark.

I don't know that it made them do anything differently, but I would be very surprised if the unfavorable attention Sanford has been getting wasn't somewhere in TPD's thought process.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #347 on: April 12, 2012, 05:08:22 am »

NY times article on McLain neighborhood in todays paper. If you ignore it the problem of poverty will still exist.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #348 on: April 12, 2012, 01:23:40 pm »

NY times article on McLain neighborhood in todays paper. If you ignore it the problem of poverty will still exist.

I saw that this morning. It was a little weird seeing Tulsa in the NYT in a not-directly-news story.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #349 on: April 12, 2012, 01:30:20 pm »

Back to the topic at hand, Zimmerman is in custody and appeared in court today on 2nd degree murder charges.

I was very impressed with the prosecutor yesterday when she told the media that the evidence which led her to file charges was essentially none of their business and was for the judge and jury to hear.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #350 on: April 12, 2012, 11:07:42 pm »

The main reason Zimmerman's self defense claim isn't holding water is because he actively pursued his victim.

It's going to be interesting to see how that plays out, because look who else just got cleared on a claim of self defense doing something similar:

Sheriff's deputies were justified in shooting a Tulsa man outside the Tulsa County Courthouse last month, the Wagoner County assistant district attorney who is charged with investigating the incident said Wednesday.

Andrew Joseph Dennehy, 23, was shot on the plaza north of the courthouse shortly after 2:30 p.m. March 7 after he allegedly fired several shots from a .357-caliber pistol into the air and pointed his weapon at deputies, authorities said.
"We are clearing the officers," prosecutor Jack Thorp said.

According to an affidavit filed by an investigator with the District Attorney's Office, Deputies David Fortenberry, Stephen Culley and Dennis Miller came out of the courthouse's north entrance and saw Dennehy sitting on a concrete bench holding a pistol.

"It appears that both deputies were able to fire toward the gunman while defending themselves and did so cautiously and professionally," Thorp said.

The Tulsa County District Attorney's Office recused itself because several of its employees saw the shootings.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=14&articleid=20120412_16_A11_CUTLIN897537

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #351 on: April 13, 2012, 06:05:51 am »

The main reason Zimmerman's self defense claim isn't holding water is because he actively pursued his victim.

It's going to be interesting to see how that plays out, because look who else just got cleared on a claim of self defense doing something similar:

Sheriff's deputies were justified in shooting a Tulsa man outside the Tulsa County Courthouse last month, the Wagoner County assistant district attorney who is charged with investigating the incident said Wednesday.

Andrew Joseph Dennehy, 23, was shot on the plaza north of the courthouse shortly after 2:30 p.m. March 7 after he allegedly fired several shots from a .357-caliber pistol into the air and pointed his weapon at deputies, authorities said.
"We are clearing the officers," prosecutor Jack Thorp said.

According to an affidavit filed by an investigator with the District Attorney's Office, Deputies David Fortenberry, Stephen Culley and Dennis Miller came out of the courthouse's north entrance and saw Dennehy sitting on a concrete bench holding a pistol.

"It appears that both deputies were able to fire toward the gunman while defending themselves and did so cautiously and professionally," Thorp said.

The Tulsa County District Attorney's Office recused itself because several of its employees saw the shootings.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=14&articleid=20120412_16_A11_CUTLIN897537

Similar?  Really?

Zimmerman was an idiot who, we assume, followed someone he felt was suspect, and engaged that person (who was not committing any crime at the time) rather than allowing law enforcement to do their job. 

The Tulsa police were attempting to contain a man shooting at people in a public place with no idea of his intent beyond the fact that he was FREAKING SHOOTING AT PEOPLE.  Call me crazy, but something tells me this is exactly when an officer should apply deadly force.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #352 on: April 13, 2012, 07:59:12 am »

The Tulsa police were attempting to contain a man shooting at people in a public place with no idea of his intent beyond the fact that he was FREAKING SHOOTING AT PEOPLE.  Call me crazy, but something tells me this is exactly when an officer should apply deadly force.

I second your motion!  And no, not crazy at all!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #353 on: April 13, 2012, 09:54:26 am »

Similar?  Really?

Zimmerman was an idiot who, we assume, followed someone he felt was suspect, and engaged that person (who was not committing any crime at the time) rather than allowing law enforcement to do their job. 

The similarity I was pointing out were the claims of self-defense while actively engaging an individual  (anything beyond that is over-interpretation).
It seems to be acceptable in the TCSO (not TPD as gaspar claims) instance, so might it also in Zimmermans -- unless the dividing line is cop Vs. wanna-be cop?
In other words, is it more a factor of who you are than what you are doing when claiming self-defense?  --and what standard will Zimmerman ultimately be held to?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #354 on: April 13, 2012, 10:16:49 am »

In other words, is it more a factor of who you are than what you are doing when claiming self-defense?

It seems like it would be a "defense of others" claim in the case of the deputies.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #355 on: April 13, 2012, 10:25:12 am »

The similarity I was pointing out were the claims of self-defense while actively engaging an individual  (anything beyond that is over-interpretation).
It seems to be acceptable in the TCSO (not TPD as gaspar claims) instance, so might it also in Zimmermans -- unless the dividing line is cop Vs. wanna-be cop?
In other words, is it more a factor of who you are than what you are doing when claiming self-defense?  --and what standard will Zimmerman ultimately be held to?

Your logic astounds me at times.

The deputies were charged with protecting the public from an armed person firing shots.  He was an obvious danger to the public and the deputies.

It has nothing to do with cop v. wannabe.  In Zimmerman’s case Martin does not appear to have been armed when he was engaged.  Huge difference.  It appears Zimmerman provoked the encounter, Martin responded by assaulting him, Zimmerman then defended himself from an assault he apparently instigated in the first place. 

The deputies were responding to a very clear danger.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #356 on: April 13, 2012, 10:30:46 am »

Martin responded by assaulting him

FWIW, there's no (public) evidence of that other than Zimmerman's obviously self serving account told to the media by his daddy. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but it's somewhat inconsistent with eye/earwitness accounts. It'll be interesting to see what comes up at trial. (I hope it's not televised, but I still want transcripts!)

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #357 on: April 13, 2012, 10:49:31 am »

If Zimmerman squeaks his way out of this somehow because of all of the media attention. I hope to hell that the family sues the pants off of all of the parasites that have attached themselves to them!

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #358 on: April 13, 2012, 10:55:45 am »

I second your motion!  And no, not crazy at all!

Gaspar asks a tiny favor to have someone call him crazy and you can't even do that.
What kind of friend are you anyway?

Grin

By the way, Gaspar, you are crazy.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #359 on: April 13, 2012, 10:56:43 am »

Gaspar asks a tiny favor to have someone call him crazy and you can't even do that.
What kind of friend are you anyway?

Grin

By the way, Gaspar, you are crazy.

Like a fox!

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 49   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org