A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:30:28 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RTown Computers  (Read 9059 times)
godboko71
Philanthropist

« on: March 14, 2012, 01:53:44 pm »

Hey all,

Helping my dad promote his business.

RTown Computers
IT Services Home/Office
Phone: 918-200-9553
bob@rtowncomputers.com

Computer Work

Our business was started helping business meet their technology needs which is why it is still a core of our business today. We also help home users get the most out of their computer. Services start at $25 an hour for new clients and we always offer free diagnostics & troubleshooting*. Special pricing is available for Remote and Phone Support.

List of Services:
Custom Builds
Wireless Network Setup
Wired Network Setup
Troubleshooting

Computer Setup
Computer Cleanup (Malware, Viruses, Ect.)
Software Updates
Hardware Upgrades

No on site charges for Bixby, Broken Arrow, Catoosa, Glenpool, Jenks, Owasso, Sand Springs, Sapulpa, and Tulsa.

* We can only offer free diagnostics to those who pay for normal services. If you decline service you will be billed the time taken to troubleshoot and find the problem with a minimum of half hour service charge.

Web Design & Development
Our services start at $400 for a basic website, $90 for one years hosting, $10 for domain, $150 for two designs, and $150 for the development of a basic web presence. All websites are custom built for your needs and pricing will vary on size and scope of your project.

We also offer website updates, script installation & customization, SEO, and marketing services for those that already have a web presence.

Available Monday - Saturday 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM
Emergency Service Available Any Time
http://www.rtowncomputers.com/

Thank you,
Robert Town
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 01:55:55 pm »

If $25 an hour doesn't promote it, nothing will.  Shocked

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 02:08:52 pm »

Yeah he is hoping it will drum up some interest Smiley

PS: I can't guarantee how long this sale will last.

Thank you,
Robert Town
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 02:40:36 pm »

Yeah he is hoping it will drum up some interest Smiley

PS: I can't guarantee how long this sale will last.

Considering that we charge 6 times that much (12 times for legacy Unix support), they should be knocking his door down.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 08:25:10 pm »

Considering that we charge 6 times that much (12 times for legacy Unix support), they should be knocking his door down.

Apparently I should start doing unix again. I've been doing windows because.. well... it's the gift that keeps on giving.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 07:38:26 am »

Apparently I should start doing unix again. I've been doing windows because.. well... it's the gift that keeps on giving.

There are hundreds of companies out there running old SCO systems that can't find an IT resource, and can't upgrade because the cost to go to windows and replace Wyse terminals is too much for them in this economy. 

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 11:44:31 am »

There are hundreds of companies out there running old SCO systems that can't find an IT resource, and can't upgrade because the cost to go to windows and replace Wyse terminals is too much for them in this economy. 

At $200 an hour, it's no wonder they can't afford to drop in a Windows server and replace some terminals. Wink

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 11:59:19 am »

At $200 an hour, it's no wonder they can't afford to drop in a Windows server and replace some terminals. Wink

It's the cost of the software that is prohibitive.  Most that we serve are on ERP platforms, and to implement a new one would cost them upwards of $100K.

Also. . .once they go to a Windows platform the cost of support actually goes way up (even though the hourly goes down) because Windows requires lots of baby-sitting compared to SCO or Linux platforms.  Windows was the greatest thing to ever happen to the IT industry because its built-in-instability guarentees a constant flow of revenue.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 01:05:22 pm »

It's the cost of the software that is prohibitive.  Most that we serve are on ERP platforms, and to implement a new one would cost them upwards of $100K.

Also. . .once they go to a Windows platform the cost of support actually goes way up (even though the hourly goes down) because Windows requires lots of baby-sitting compared to SCO or Linux platforms.  Windows was the greatest thing to ever happen to the IT industry because its built-in-instability guarentees a constant flow of revenue.

You don't have to tell me about the hidden costs of Windows. I set my clients up with Linux-based servers unless they're running software that absolutely requires Windows on the server side or if they want to do as much of the administration as possible themselves. IMO, one of the biggest advantages is that it's much cheaper to virtualize using Xen or KVM than it is using VMWare. Hyper-V isn't too bad since you get the host copy of the OS "free", but it's still a five hundred bucks (or whatever it is lately) plus CALs that you don't have to spend if you're not running Windows guests.

Windows is getting better, though. I have a couple of clients with 2008R2 on the server and Windows 7 on the desktop that have thus far had very good luck. Being only about a year in, it'll be interesting to see how they fare over the next few before the next refresh cycle, but so far I've only been touching them for Patch Tuesdays.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 01:11:54 pm »

You don't have to tell me about the hidden costs of Windows. I set my clients up with Linux-based servers unless they're running software that absolutely requires Windows on the server side or if they want to do as much of the administration as possible themselves. IMO, one of the biggest advantages is that it's much cheaper to virtualize using Xen or KVM than it is using VMWare. Hyper-V isn't too bad since you get the host copy of the OS "free", but it's still a five hundred bucks (or whatever it is lately) plus CALs that you don't have to spend if you're not running Windows guests.

Windows is getting better, though. I have a couple of clients with 2008R2 on the server and Windows 7 on the desktop that have thus far had very good luck. Being only about a year in, it'll be interesting to see how they fare over the next few before the next refresh cycle, but so far I've only been touching them for Patch Tuesdays.

New Windows server OS always starts out that way, "but then later there's the running and screaming."

Each patch adds a layer of crap.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 09:43:38 pm »

New Windows server OS always starts out that way, "but then later there's the running and screaming."

Each patch adds a layer of crap.

I am convinced that Windows subscribes to the path that you build in defects that require continual upgrades to enable security. Our IT at work is continually applying updates (during normal working hours) that cripple my machine during CAD activity.  Internet access is intentionally slowed to discourage internet activity.

But then I like a conspiracy theory.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 09:47:13 pm »

Our IT at work is continually applying updates (during normal working hours) that cripple my machine during CAD activity.

That's a "your IT department" problem, not a Windows problem. Wink

Well, I guess it is Microsoft's fault that they produce software with so many bugs. It's your IT department's fault (barring stupid management requirements) that you have to be inconvenienced by patching.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 10:10:55 pm »

That's a "your IT department" problem, not a Windows problem. Wink

Well, I guess it is Microsoft's fault that they produce software with so many bugs. It's your IT department's fault (barring stupid management requirements) that you have to be inconvenienced by patching.

I believe the inherent security problems with Windows does NOT make it a "my IT department" problem as much as an inherent Windows problem.  I don't like their solutions but I have no alternative solution.

Edit:
I will agree that when to do the patches is not a Microsoft problem since we are required to leave our computers on after hours.  The fact that so many patches are required is a Microsoft problem.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 10:25:46 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org