A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:14:05 pm
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 91   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) A Gathering Place For Tulsa  (Read 767327 times)
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #1185 on: October 08, 2018, 09:52:58 am »

Isn't that basically what Blue Rose and Elwood's are?

and as far as the whole gun thing is concerned, I think they might fall under:

4. The portion of a public property structure or building that is leased or under contract to a business or not-forprofit entity or group for offices.

as being able to prohibit guns   ??
(also definitely not a lawyer)

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1186 on: October 09, 2018, 01:59:37 pm »

Curious when they plan to finish work along Zink Lake?  Hoping they add more landscaping in the spring.  Recent pic showing what looks like that little inlet with a trail next to it from the renderings below

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1187 on: October 11, 2018, 08:47:01 am »

Same guy? What an attention sucker (cleaned the more common phrase up). Has he nothing better to do? His youtube channel is full of some pretty shameful stuff that would be embarrassing to most decent people, and certainly not the kind of stuff a logical well-grounded person would post online. He's an instigator.

Regardless of whether they may or may not ban open carry, I wouldn't trust this guy to protect anyone or make a sound decision under a real life or death situation. This is an example of a kind of person some people are concerned about freely obtaining guns and bringing them in public with no one judging whether they're mentally competent. Not that there's a good solution, even for police screening.

Gotta disagree...he isn't an instigator...I am an instigator.   He is just an a$$hole acting like an idiot.   Have seen a few people doing the open carry thing...it's stupid for a lot of reasons, self preservation being the first among them, but don't think he would even understand that.

Second paragraph...yeah...just like that.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #1188 on: October 11, 2018, 09:14:24 am »

Curious when they plan to finish work along Zink Lake?  Hoping they add more landscaping in the spring.  Recent pic showing what looks like that little inlet with a trail next to it from the renderings below

We took the dog over last night for "Dog Wednesdays" and had a great evening.   They are still working out the kinks with the dog thing, as they don't have formal rules for how to get the dogs from the East side over the dog park area (which is the hill basically behind the Boat House, where the scaffolding for the laser show was).   But, everyone was very courteous about everything and they did mention they are looking at some way to make it an off-leash area during the dog hours, but that will require some better fencing that what is there now.  Overall, thumbs up for what they are trying to do to make the dog-people happy.

While there, I noticed the trail and inlet you mention.   One thing that struck me is that it is my understanding that the new dam will be about four feet higher than the existing one.  If so, this piece of trail will be very close to waterline.  I am I wrong on the new dam height?  Can anyone confirm?  It would not be a ton of work to redo this small section of trail, but seems they should have known about that when building it.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1189 on: October 11, 2018, 10:23:01 am »

We took the dog over last night for "Dog Wednesdays" and had a great evening.   They are still working out the kinks with the dog thing, as they don't have formal rules for how to get the dogs from the East side over the dog park area (which is the hill basically behind the Boat House, where the scaffolding for the laser show was).   But, everyone was very courteous about everything and they did mention they are looking at some way to make it an off-leash area during the dog hours, but that will require some better fencing that what is there now.  Overall, thumbs up for what they are trying to do to make the dog-people happy.

While there, I noticed the trail and inlet you mention.   One thing that struck me is that it is my understanding that the new dam will be about four feet higher than the existing one.  If so, this piece of trail will be very close to waterline.  I am I wrong on the new dam height?  Can anyone confirm?  It would not be a ton of work to redo this small section of trail, but seems they should have known about that when building it.

It will be 3 ft. higher so the trail will be closer to the normal elevation of Zink Lake.  There is some more info on the dam and whitewater flume project here: https://riverprojectstulsa.info/index.php/arkansas-river-low-water-dams-and-public-accessrecreational-improvements

rebound
City Father

« Reply #1190 on: October 11, 2018, 10:40:32 am »

It will be 3 ft. higher so the trail will be closer to the normal elevation of Zink Lake.

Thanks!   Even at three feet, the water is going to be right up to that trail.   (When I was there last night, there was a nominal flow of water over the top of the dam, not more than a few inches at most, and the water level was basically what is shown it the picture above.)  I am really looking forward to getting the dam fixed and doing some kayaking on the "new" lake.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1191 on: October 11, 2018, 01:27:50 pm »

Thanks!   Even at three feet, the water is going to be right up to that trail.   (When I was there last night, there was a nominal flow of water over the top of the dam, not more than a few inches at most, and the water level was basically what is shown it the picture above.)  I am really looking forward to getting the dam fixed and doing some kayaking on the "new" lake.

Absolutely.  The way it's currently designed the whitewater flume should be a pretty cool attraction in its own right. 

And good point about the trail.  Right now it looks pretty stark but you have to think about what it will look like once the water level is 3 ft. higher.  I wonder what they'll do with the concrete stairs on the other side of the river, or if that gets torn out when they demo the bridge.  I'm also interested to see how far the higher pool goes north, and if you'll see much difference around Blue Rose or in the cove by the Waterside apartments.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1192 on: October 15, 2018, 02:45:43 pm »

I'm wondering if cost and size vs footprint played a role in going with a more typical rectangular building shape.

I was hoping for something more like what they have planned up the road in Springfield: https://www.bnim.com/project/springfield-art-museum-master-plan

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1193 on: October 16, 2018, 10:56:14 am »

I was hoping for something more like what they have planned up the road in Springfield

I like it...not sure about the pedo looking guy bottom left though...looking into your soul...

TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #1194 on: October 16, 2018, 03:15:58 pm »

I was hoping for something more like what they have planned up the road in Springfield: https://www.bnim.com/project/springfield-art-museum-master-plan

That's pretty neat but I like what the Gathering Place is doing a bit better. I loved the original plan though. Shame they threw that out. I'm sure there will be more changes incorporating some improvements  based on feedback (hopefully more street-level windows, maybe more of a shape/architectural features, interaction with outside).
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1195 on: October 16, 2018, 03:28:44 pm »

That's pretty neat but I like what the Gathering Place is doing a bit better. I loved the original plan though. Shame they threw that out. I'm sure there will be more changes incorporating some improvements  based on feedback (hopefully more street-level windows, maybe more of a shape/architectural features, interaction with outside).

I think the design is fine but like you thought the previous, less sterile design was better.  I'm more concerned with the new location at 33rd instead of north of Crow Creek closer to 31st where it would better tie into the rest of the park.  The parking lot would also be more accessible off 31st Street.  Then the mixed-use development could be on both sides of Crow Creek and connect to Brookside via 33rd Place and the future Crow Creek trail.

Yellow is the museum and red is the mixed-use development
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 03:36:43 pm by SXSW » Logged

TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #1196 on: October 17, 2018, 09:04:16 am »

I think the design is fine but like you thought the previous, less sterile design was better.  I'm more concerned with the new location at 33rd instead of north of Crow Creek closer to 31st where it would better tie into the rest of the park.  The parking lot would also be more accessible off 31st Street.  Then the mixed-use development could be on both sides of Crow Creek and connect to Brookside via 33rd Place and the future Crow Creek trail.

Yellow is the museum and red is the mixed-use development

I see what you mean. It seems wise to give GKFF the benefit of the doubt that they have something better planned for 31st based on their track record (or maybe it just needs to be a large parking lot or garage there). I can see them wanting some space for the childrens museum to make it a different attraction altogether so you don't have as much overlap on parking. But they might've come up with something really special for that 31st street corner and area around Crow Creek. I think that has so much potential to be an awesome natural boardwalk. It already has an intriguing beauty to it.

I'm not sure they'll ever get enough parking. It seems like they could put in a 1000-spot garage and still have the lot fill up on weekends. I think the park will fill to capacity no matter how large of a lot similar to how Woodward Park always maxes out parking when it's nice outside. You can't take away green space and a big expensive unsightly garage isn't a great option either.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1197 on: October 18, 2018, 10:44:12 am »

I trust GKFF, they've done a great job.  I'm just interested to see their plans for mixed-use development along the creek.  Tying this whole area into Brookside should be the ultimate goal.

I came across the pic below showing the old pedestrian bridge.  This is where the new bridge will connect to the MV trail and the river trail.  It looks like the new bridge will be at roughly the same level as the top of the old bridge, which makes sense as when there was high water it would be a few feet below the bridge, and the river will be 3 ft. higher in Zink Lake.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1198 on: October 18, 2018, 05:18:12 pm »

I like it...not sure about the pedo looking guy bottom left though...looking into your soul...

That was Trump on an incognito trip to scope things out for Pence to come to town, a couple weeks ago....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #1199 on: October 28, 2018, 02:27:54 pm »

If the legal defense is that River Parks doesn't consider the Gathering Place to be a park, they should probably update their website...   also, call it whatever you want, it's clearly a park.

GKFF gifted a park...   what did River Parks do to make it not a park?

Fearing lawsuits, police to scale back on rules enforcement at the Gathering Place
https://www.readfrontier.org/stories/fearing-lawsuits-police-to-scale-back-on-rules-enforcement-at-the-gathering-place/

When did they start caring about lawsuits?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 91   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org