A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 04:14:41 pm
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) A Gathering Place For Tulsa  (Read 142692 times)
rebound
Philanthropist

« Reply #885 on: August 15, 2017, 08:29:45 am »

I don't see a problem. The park itself will be amazing. I think people will be willing to use an extra syllable to describe it ("Gathering Place" rather than "River Parks").

Since the plans were announced, was there ever any question that the name "Gathering Place for Tulsa" wouldn't be official? No name will make everyone happy. Lets see if we can find a better name for the city. "Tulsa" just isn't doing it for me. Too clunky!

"Tulsa" started at "Tulsey Town".   Everything gets shortened in common use.

TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
Philanthropist

« Reply #886 on: August 15, 2017, 09:06:31 am »

"Tulsa" started at "Tulsey Town".   Everything gets shortened in common use.

Before that, it started as "Tallasi" which is a contraction of the Creek word "Tullahassee" that means "Old Town".

I don't see how people will shorten Gathering Place much though. Please not "Gat-Pla"!

How about GatPla-O-Ri-Si! (Gathering Place on River Side)  Grin
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #887 on: August 15, 2017, 09:40:20 am »

Before that, it started as "Tallasi" which is a contraction of the Creek word "Tullahassee" that means "Old Town".

I don't see how people will shorten Gathering Place much though. Please not "Gat-Pla"!

How about GatPla-O-Ri-Si! (Gathering Place on River Side)  Grin

"The Place"
"The Park"
"Park Place"
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #888 on: August 15, 2017, 06:45:30 pm »

I see  "The Gathering Place for Tulsa" being shortened (it already has been) to "the gathering place".  Kind of like in Ft Worth when they say "go to the museum district".   Meaning, there is a lot of stuff to do in the area, not just the museum.  TGP (see, shortened it even more...) is more than a park.   Admittedly, I didn't like the name either when I first heard it,  but I like it now.

Had the misfortune to fly in on AA Sunday and walking to baggage claim there is a loonnnggggg mural in that last hall before baggage.  Nice artwork and they were calling it "Gathering Place"... I pretty much knew what it was without the "for Tulsa" part.

“When you wage war on the public schools, you're attacking the mortar that holds the community together. You're not a conservative, you're a vandal.”    - Garrison Keillor

Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org