A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:22:30 pm
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 91   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) A Gathering Place For Tulsa  (Read 767444 times)
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #285 on: January 16, 2014, 12:14:16 am »

Sorry for the delay, that is the schedule forward if construction funding is provided.  Presently the 404 permit for Zink has been accepted (it could be completed 3 years form going forward) and the environmental permitting for three other locations (Sand Springs, S. Tulsa/Jenks, and Bixby) are set to proceeding in a programmatic EIS methodology.

So 3 years from permit approval that was just granted for Zink Dam = 2017.  This is the project to raise the dam 3 feet, fix leaks/broken gates and change the design on the south side to make it safer?

And with permitting and construction (and good luck) the other dams could be built by 2021?  That would be pretty remarkable if that happens.

Is the plan to still have the Sand Springs dam be higher to better regulate flow into the "lakes" below?  I imagine the Jenks dam will be the first new dam built because of the Creeks big investments in that area.

Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #286 on: January 16, 2014, 01:41:41 pm »

So 3 years from permit approval that was just granted for Zink Dam = 2017.  This is the project to raise the dam 3 feet, fix leaks/broken gates and change the design on the south side to make it safer?

And with permitting and construction (and good luck) the other dams could be built by 2021?  That would be pretty remarkable if that happens.

Is the plan to still have the Sand Springs dam be higher to better regulate flow into the "lakes" below?  I imagine the Jenks dam will be the first new dam built because of the Creeks big investments in that area.
Yes, you have the overall project concept down. 

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #287 on: January 18, 2014, 10:12:14 am »

What part of “privately funded” and future maintenance costs being set aside are you struggling with?
Just the part where they keep asking taxpayers for more money. Good- it's privately funded, that means we can roll back the last penny sales tax increase then.... Now they talk about a Juvie Detention center- heck, use and  expand an old school for it, make it into a work camp not a rec center for our violent youth. Maybe if the kids worked all day they will be to tired to cause trouble and it'll get them ready for the real world, use what is already there. I'm against building a new juvie detention center. But what do I know- looks like another penny sales tax coming down the pike to coddle our violent youth in a modern luxuery center-- I can see it now  big  60" TV sets scattered all over the fancy new building...  Heck put in a olympic size swimming pool, tennis courts, a big gym and a game room with free smart phones to all the inmates. If I was king the juvies would be toiling in a work camp sleeping on cots doing chores.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 10:20:17 am by sauerkraut » Logged

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #288 on: January 18, 2014, 10:15:58 am »

Just the part where they keep asking taxpayers for more money. Good- it's privately funded, that means we can roll back the last penny sales tax increase then.... Now they talk about a Juvie Detention center- heck, use and  expand an old school for it, make it into a work camp not a rec center for our violent youth. Maybe if the kids worked all day they will be to tired to cause trouble and it'll get them ready for the real world. I'm against that. But what do I know looks like another penny sales tax coming down the pike to coddle our violent youth in a modern center..

Derp derp
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #289 on: January 18, 2014, 10:52:24 am »

Just the part where they keep asking taxpayers for more money. Good- it's privately funded, that means we can roll back the last penny sales tax increase then.... Now they talk about a Juvie Detention center- heck, use and  expand an old school for it, make it into a work camp not a rec center for our violent youth. Maybe if the kids worked all day they will be to tired to cause trouble and it'll get them ready for the real world, use what is already there. I'm against building a new juvie detention center. But what do I know- looks like another penny sales tax coming down the pike to coddle our violent youth in a modern luxuery center-- I can see it now  big  60" TV sets scattered all over the fancy new building...  Heck put in a olympic size swimming pool, tennis courts, a big gym and a game room with free smart phones to all the inmates. If I was king the juvies would be toiling in a work camp sleeping on cots doing chores.

You aren't real. No one can be that dense. You have been pulling a scam on us haven't you?

In all honesty, it was a pretty good prank but is wearing thin.

onward...through the fog
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #290 on: January 19, 2014, 04:27:39 am »

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #291 on: January 19, 2014, 09:14:16 am »

I agree.
the Gathering Place should not have a juvie center!
Who's idea was that?!
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #292 on: January 19, 2014, 11:10:07 am »

If he is real, his posts are the result of simplification of well thought out complaints regarding social and political issues.

You can argue with a Rand, a Cuomo or their educated derivatives even though there may be error in their logic. They are idealogues, mostly untouched by the reality of their platitudes. But by the time that logic gets to middle school mentalities as reflected in bumper stickers and forums, its just frightening to see how bastardized the thinking becomes.

America. Love it or leave it.
Scare a liberal. Offer them a job.
Welfare queens
Liberal media
The west wasn't won with a registered gun

Its easier to let others think for you, then distill it into basic human fundamentals (greed, selfishness, etc)

BTW, the Gathering Place doesn't offer much of interest to me. Neither does road building in far south Tulsa. However, I am not ignorant of their importance to others in the city and how they are worthy of support by all taxpayers. One of the things that differentiates a city from a town, is its ability to serve the interests of all of its members and plan for its future citizens.

onward...through the fog
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #293 on: January 31, 2014, 10:41:19 pm »

http://www.newson6.com/story/24606155/oklahomas-blair-mansion-to-be-demolished-saturday

Judging from the comments, everyone is thrilled

here's a dandy:
We go out of state or out of town to see historical places. Also when we do the cities roads look so much better. We went to Dallas and their whole city looks like 71st. Everything is nice and neat.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #294 on: February 01, 2014, 10:45:12 am »

What we just lost:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/blair-mansion-demolition-begins/article_17a17c6c-8b2a-11e3-83fc-0017a43b2370.html
Seems like this was a bit of a planning failure...

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #295 on: February 01, 2014, 11:19:34 am »

I never got to enjoy the view from the proximity of that porch, but I will now.  I'm finding it hard to call it anything but a gain.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #296 on: February 01, 2014, 12:12:58 pm »

The running path that runs behind it often offers a similar view, especially during the winter. Loved seeing the horses, trees and the pastoral setting with the sun setting in the cold, clear January evenings. I'll miss the quiet solitude for reflection that it provided. Nothing good ever lasts forever. The Gathering will be another generation's vision.

Anyone remember when it was announced that the property had sold but was to remain occupied by the owner till his death? Even so that it would be many years till the land would be developed. Then it was announced the building would be moved but not for many years. Then it was rumored to be a racist monument to the Civil War. That didn't stick, so now its announced that it will be demolished. Now it is just another vacant lot awaiting conversion to sugarplums dancing.

Could have been part of the new park as an historical element, a museum or a restaurant.

onward...through the fog
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #297 on: February 01, 2014, 12:54:58 pm »

Could have been part of the new park as an historical element, a museum or a restaurant.

Was the decision of the previous owner, not the new park. He owned the buildings on the land. He found it was easier to tear down and build anew.

While it was nice, it wasn't that old, nothing historic happened there, and if it had been built elsewhere, few would even notice it getting torn down. It was made to look like an old house and had a pretty awesome front yard. 
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #298 on: February 01, 2014, 04:24:45 pm »

+1
The owner stated he was unable to find another location for the house,
and we're in a hurry.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #299 on: February 01, 2014, 04:33:09 pm »

How old does it have to be to be relevant? I don't know when it was built but it has been well known as a landmark there for at least 60 years and fits the neighborhood. But enough rationalizing. The new owners of the land could have bought the house if they found it worthy. The existing owner would have sold it cheap rather than have to pay for its demolition.

onward...through the fog
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 91   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org