A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:02:19 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 91   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) A Gathering Place For Tulsa  (Read 767312 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2012, 01:42:54 pm »

A shockingly coherent, reasoned and salient post by Saur, and then he takes the sharp left turn at Xanadu.

I would've gone straight into Xanadu.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2012, 01:52:48 pm »

I would've gone straight into Xanadu.

I actually did go to Xanadu:
http://systems-unlimited.org/Xanadu.html
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2012, 11:31:20 pm »

The only concern I have about this plan is that right now that spot, while not a whole lot to look at, is one of the few places in Tulsa where it seems like trail users get first priority. Granted, it's only that way because they inherited it from the railroad, but that's how it feels. Connecting the Blair property to what is now the parking lot to the South will almost inevitably erode that primacy, and probably involve making the connection between the MV trail and Riverparks even worse for folks who are not planning to linger.

Yes, I realize that it's a small thing, but it's an important thing, being one of the few places in town where a road actually gets squeezed to accommodate other forms of transportation and other activities.

It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2012, 07:07:13 am »

A shockingly coherent, reasoned and salient post by Saur, and then he takes the sharp left turn at Xanadu.

So that's how you get to Xanadu.

As counterpoint to his argument: I think the mid continent tower is a good example that a newer building can successfully look old.
dsjeffries
City Father

« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2012, 04:06:05 pm »

Two more public input meetings are scheduled for this week.

Date: 5/23 & 5/24 (tomorrow and Thursday)
Time: 6 p.m.

Renderings of proposed Rocky Riverbed Splash area:

KJRH Story
The George Kaiser Family Foundation is entering the next phase of planning for a new gathering space near Riverside.
The foundation has plans to break ground on a new park, which will sit on the Blair property between 26th and 29th and Riverside Drive as well as the Sundance and Legacy apartment properties south of 31st and Riverside in early 2014.
All of the properties are presently owned by the foundation.
The foundation is asking for public input on the project. Public meetings took place in March. A second round of meetings are scheduled for May 23 and 24 at the TCC Center for Creativity at 918 South Boston Ave.  Both meetings will begin at 6 p.m.
"This next round of meetings is a continuation of the public input process,” said Jeff Stava, project manager for A Gathering Place for Tulsa. “We received tremendous feedback during the first round of meetings and hope to have more of the same as we reveal some initial ideas.”
Final public meetings are anticipated for the fall.
Michael Van Valkenburgh Associates ( MVVA), a landscape architecture firm based in Brooklyn, NY, has been chosen to design the new gathering place. MVVA previously designed the Hudson River Park in New York and Mill Race Park in Columbus, Ind.
Early design concepts reflecting previously gathered public input will be unveiled at the meetings.
“From the input and ideas we received from the community through emails, website comments and the public meetings, we were able to create an early concept that we feel reflects the desires of Tulsa residents,” said Van Valkenburg, MVVA principal. “We’re excited to present these early ideas to the community and are eager to hear their thoughts.”
The images above shows the early concept for a venue, which would allow people to gather and have low-key events, and a green space area, which shows much of the existing green space would be retained and blended with other landscape elements, plus access to the river.
“The preliminary renderings we show at the meetings are not final,” said Stava. “We’re going to listen to what the community thinks of these early concepts and use that input to continue crafting what ultimately will be the final design.”
The thus far unnamed project is expected to cost between $100 to $150 million. Final site plans are expected to be complete in the fall.

Change never happened because people were happy with the status quo.
dsjeffries
City Father

« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2012, 04:22:41 pm »

Anyone else going tonight?

Change never happened because people were happy with the status quo.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2012, 09:11:22 am »

Anyone else going tonight?

Couldn't make it last night.  I plan on going tonight.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2012, 09:15:51 am »

Some people here owe me an apology Wink  It would appear Mr. Kaiser didn’t take his ball and go home after all.

I think we will get better development than we would have with the River Tax.  That was a Randi Miller pile with sleaze on top.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2012, 09:20:15 am »

That was a Randi Miller pile with sleaze on top.

The picture of her standing in the river was one of my proudest moments for Tulsa.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2012, 09:48:03 am »

I loved the one Mayor LaFortune had on his wall. Standing in the river with his suit pants rolled up and Gucci's in hand.

I think they both were supporters, just not good at making it happen. Like my old friend at the newspaper used to say, "Steve, that's a good idea if it works...."

onward...through the fog
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2012, 11:56:41 am »

I loved the one Mayor LaFortune had on his wall. Standing in the river with his suit pants rolled up and Gucci's in hand.

I think they both were supporters, just not good at making it happen. Like my old friend at the newspaper used to say, "Steve, that's a good idea if it works...."

Taylor was mayor at the time.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2012, 12:00:52 pm »

Taylor was mayor at the time.

Yes, which is a little irritating as it reminds me that while Taylor appeared to have taken most of the credit for Vision2025, it was Mayor LaFortune that did all the leg work on that front.

I can remember being at the BOK Center grand opening when she gave Mayor LaFortune a t-shirt thanking him for all his hard work.  Of course I had to tell my mom who was with me 'all that and all I got was this stinking t-shirt?'.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2012, 12:03:05 pm »

Yes, which is a little irritating as it reminds me that while Taylor appeared to have taken most of the credit for Vision2025, it was Mayor LaFortune that did all the leg work on that front.

I can remember being at the BOK Center grand opening when she gave Mayor LaFortune a t-shirt thanking him for all his hard work.  Of course I had to tell my mom who was with me 'all that and all I got was this stinking t-shirt?'.

I never sensed that she was stealing anyone else’s due, she simply happened to be mayor at the time many of the projects were finishing up doing her figurehead work.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2012, 12:05:48 pm »

I never sensed that she was stealing anyone else’s due, she simply happened to be mayor at the time many of the projects were finishing up doing her figurehead work.

She may not have been, but I think LaFortune didn't get lauded nearly enough for his role in it.  He helped get the vote on the ballot, stumped for it (which was politically brave as a Republican, even for local politics) and it ultimately won.  To me, it felt a little like a slap in the face.  I didn't care much for Taylor at the outset due to the residency thing.  She grew on me, but I didn't dislike LaFortune.  I thought he was a good mayor.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2012, 12:08:24 pm »

She may not have been, but I think LaFortune didn't get lauded nearly enough for his role in it.  He helped get the vote on the ballot, stumped for it (which was politically brave as a Republican, even for local politics) and it ultimately won.  To me, it felt a little like a slap in the face.  I didn't care much for Taylor at the outset due to the residency thing.  She grew on me, but I didn't dislike LaFortune.  I thought he was a good mayor.

Funny how that goes, I ended up thinking LaFortune was a real doof in the end.  Taylor rubbed me wrong at the beginning with her “make it happen or else” style and the One Tech purchase.  As I got to know her and work on a couple of projects with her, she really impressed me. 

Taking a long look back, Tulsa would look much different today (more like post-modern Beirut) than it does now if not for the efforts of LaFortune and Taylor.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 91   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org