A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:00:23 pm
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 91   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) A Gathering Place For Tulsa  (Read 772116 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1035 on: June 11, 2018, 03:18:03 pm »

wonder if they'd let me take my UAV down there to film....

Maybe.  Just try it and see.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #1036 on: June 12, 2018, 01:45:20 pm »

MONDAY, September 10

I just copied that from the article without looking at the calendar. Hopefully they updated it.
Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #1037 on: July 02, 2018, 01:01:26 pm »

So did anyone else see the special Gathering Place magazine thing from the Tulsa World from maybe a week ago Sunday?

It had a bunch of information in it, including a Q&A... a couple of things caught my eye that I hadn't heard before ... (1) Pets won't be allowed in the park except for special "dog play days" or something along those lines and (2) Bringing alcohol into the park will be prohibited (of course they will sell it there).

Maybe I'm crazy, but both of those items seemed kind of odd to me.  I don't think I've heard of other parks where you can't walk your dog and/or can't bring in booze.

hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #1038 on: July 02, 2018, 03:03:29 pm »

So did anyone else see the special Gathering Place magazine thing from the Tulsa World from maybe a week ago Sunday?

It had a bunch of information in it, including a Q&A... a couple of things caught my eye that I hadn't heard before ... (1) Pets won't be allowed in the park except for special "dog play days" or something along those lines and (2) Bringing alcohol into the park will be prohibited (of course they will sell it there).

Maybe I'm crazy, but both of those items seemed kind of odd to me.  I don't think I've heard of other parks where you can't walk your dog and/or can't bring in booze.

Not crazy. Those are two odd limitations for a park.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1039 on: July 03, 2018, 08:44:02 am »

I'm excited for the park, on the whole it will be a huge win.

But does anyone know why they didn't prioritize getting the road and trail done first?  It passes through the edge of the park and has been the major source of citizen complaints during this process. It seems to my ignorant self that they could have started on the west side and completed the riverbank and road.  Had they opened up the road and the trail within a year or two they could have spent 3, 4, 5 or even 6 years building out the rest of the park and few would complain.  Heck, erect platforms on the portion that is done so people could watch the construction.   Surely there is a reason why that would not have worked and I just don't know it.  (Again - in 10 years no one will care, but it sure would have made a lot of citizens happy).

Jeff P - Can you link to the article you were discussing?  I couldn't find anything about banning dogs.  I was curious if the ban would include the trails that pass through the park, because that would be a significant problem for a lot of people. If it is just near certain areas because people are too lazy to pick up after their animals, I can sadly understand (kids playgrounds + bad dog owners = filth).

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #1040 on: July 03, 2018, 10:09:52 am »

Not crazy. Those are two odd limitations for a park.

Isn't alcohol prohibited in all Tulsa parks?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1041 on: July 03, 2018, 10:33:18 am »

Isn't alcohol prohibited in all Tulsa parks?

It is?Huh?  Whoops.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1042 on: July 03, 2018, 11:57:24 am »

No.

Alcohol is prohibited in parking lots of parks. It is a brilliant city ordinance because the problem drinkers are the ones drinking in the parking lot. Everybody else could be picnickers.

They do ask for no glass containers. But I believe that all glass bottles are to be consumed indoors or in backyards anyways.

Consumption of alcoholic beverages in parking areas and roadways not permitted.
https://www.cityoftulsa.org/government/departments/park-and-recreation/administration/park-rules-and-ordinances/
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 12:02:25 pm by RecycleMichael » Logged

Power is nothing till you use it.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #1043 on: July 03, 2018, 11:58:13 am »

It is?Huh?  Whoops.

Oklahoma: it is illegal to drink alcohol in any public place unless the place is licensed to serve or sell alcohol (Okla. Stat. tit. 37, § 537)

Tulsa Parks:  See above + "Consumption of alcoholic beverages in parking areas and roadways not permitted."

Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #1044 on: July 03, 2018, 12:09:33 pm »

Oklahoma: it is illegal to drink alcohol in any public place unless the place is licensed to serve or sell alcohol (Okla. Stat. tit. 37, § 537)

Tulsa Parks:  See above + "Consumption of alcoholic beverages in parking areas and roadways not permitted."

Interesting.  Thanks for that, BKDotCom.   To quote the statute:  "No person shall . . . drink intoxicating liquor in public except on the premises of a licensee of the Alcoholic Beverage Laws Enforcement Commission who is authorized to sell or serve alcoholic beverages by the individual drink or be intoxicated in a public place."

Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #1045 on: July 03, 2018, 12:38:36 pm »

Interesting.  Thanks for that, BKDotCom.   To quote the statute:  "No person shall . . . drink intoxicating liquor in public except on the premises of a licensee of the Alcoholic Beverage Laws Enforcement Commission who is authorized to sell or serve alcoholic beverages by the individual drink or be intoxicated in a public place."

Yeah that's what it talked about in the Q&A that I referenced.  I suppose it makes sense in that you can't bring your own booze into a bar or restaurant that sells alcohol, but in terms of the Gathering Place... you can't bring alcohol in to a 100-acre public park because they'll be selling booze in the Lodge or whatever restaurants happen to be in the park?  Come on.

It'll fun to see them try and enforce that on the 4th of July next year when thousands of people show up with coolers full of beer.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1046 on: July 03, 2018, 04:50:21 pm »

Interesting.  Thanks for that, BKDotCom.   To quote the statute:  "No person shall . . . drink intoxicating liquor in public except on the premises of a licensee of the Alcoholic Beverage Laws Enforcement Commission who is authorized to sell or serve alcoholic beverages by the individual drink or be intoxicated in a public place."

For a few more months, 3.2 beer should be allowed as it is considered a non-intoxicating beverage.  At least is was a long time ago when a few of the FBOs I visited got a non-intoxicating beverage license to sell beer to pilots done flying for the day.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 09:01:10 am by Red Arrow » Logged

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1047 on: July 05, 2018, 10:13:35 am »

No.

Alcohol is prohibited in parking lots of parks. It is a brilliant city ordinance because the problem drinkers are the ones drinking in the parking lot. Everybody else could be picnickers.

They do ask for no glass containers. But I believe that all glass bottles are to be consumed indoors or in backyards anyways.

Consumption of alcoholic beverages in parking areas and roadways not permitted.
https://www.cityoftulsa.org/government/departments/park-and-recreation/administration/park-rules-and-ordinances/

Good thing they don't patrol the Riverwest Festival parking lot on Wednesday nights during the summer.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #1048 on: July 10, 2018, 09:25:03 am »

They better at least let dogs go on the trails along the river and Midland Valley Trail. What are they going to turn away joggers with their  pets where those pass through the Gathering Place?

A few bad pet owners shouldn't ruin it for everyone with dogs. I've personally never had a problem with other peoples' dogs at any park in Tulsa and for a while I was using the riverside trails as much as anyone else in Tulsa. The vast majority of people keep their dogs under control and most clean up after them.

I can understand not allowing dogs in most areas (certainly shouldn't be in the playgrounds), but the trails should be an exception and maybe 1 or 2 areas where people with dogs can congregate like along the river.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #1049 on: July 10, 2018, 09:39:41 am »

Interesting quote from George Kaiser to Halliburton executives when they visited the Gathering Place about their $10 million donation:

"And whenever you're ready to come full circle, we'd be willing to build you a new headquarters building, with very cheap rent on some extra land on the south end of this park," Kaiser said.

Not sure if that was just tongue-in-cheek or if they actually have plans or land south of the park that they will turn into office space in Phase 2 to try to lure a big company to move there. Interesting idea if they did that, but not sure I like the idea of a big corporation using the Gathering Place as their headquarters.

http://www.newson6.com/story/37254913/10m-dollar-kings-post-bridge-donated-to-tulsas-gathering-place
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 91   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org