A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:20:21 am
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wish list for downtown...  (Read 37511 times)
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2012, 12:07:34 pm »

Instead of focusing the effort in residency towards the young what would happen if we turned the focus towards the aging population?

It would seem to me the downsizers, the going solos, and the wealthier would be a much better target group to enhance the restaurants, entertainment venues, and spiritually correct.

jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2012, 12:39:20 pm »

We did that already.  They are at 91st and Yale.

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
Boksooner
Activist

« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2012, 02:56:15 pm »

Instead of focusing the effort in residency towards the young what would happen if we turned the focus towards the aging population?

It would seem to me the downsizers, the going solos, and the wealthier would be a much better target group to enhance the restaurants, entertainment venues, and spiritually correct.

I would argue that downtown housing is already focused on older/wealthier residents.
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2012, 01:17:37 pm »

Seething to add to previous wishes: an art institute. 

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
rdj
City Father

« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2012, 08:27:01 am »

Isn't that what the Unitarian Church is going to do?  I thought housing geared towards seniors was in their master plan?

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #95 on: June 29, 2012, 03:34:02 pm »

I posted this on the other board, but it fits here to since this is on my downtown wishlist.  According to this article, the Pacific Coast League is looking at a Houston suburb for placing a Triple-A team.  Do the Drillers seriously just have zero interest in even trying to make the jump?  If Tulsa is going to continue to grow and prosper, doesn't it make sense to try and fit ourselves at least in this area with bigger cities?  Texas League is fine and I enjoy the history of it, but we are competing against small towns and suburbs.  I'd like to play with teams in Vegas, New Orleans, and Memphis as opposed to Midland and Frisco.  TL just seems much more small time for our city.  Plus the rivalry with OKC is a natural fit. 

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=203&articleid=20120629_203_B1_CUTLIN822968&allcom=1#3046164
JCnOwasso
Civic Leader

« Reply #96 on: July 02, 2012, 08:43:31 am »

I posted this on the other board, but it fits here to since this is on my downtown wishlist.  According to this article, the Pacific Coast League is looking at a Houston suburb for placing a Triple-A team.  Do the Drillers seriously just have zero interest in even trying to make the jump?  If Tulsa is going to continue to grow and prosper, doesn't it make sense to try and fit ourselves at least in this area with bigger cities?  Texas League is fine and I enjoy the history of it, but we are competing against small towns and suburbs.  I'd like to play with teams in Vegas, New Orleans, and Memphis as opposed to Midland and Frisco.  TL just seems much more small time for our city.  Plus the rivalry with OKC is a natural fit. 

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=203&articleid=20120629_203_B1_CUTLIN822968&allcom=1#3046164

I am not sure there is a huge advantage from going AA to AAA.  I don't think the "product" is better.  If the player is good enough to play in the majors, the second longest stop they will have in the progression is AA (MLB being the longest and final stop).  If they do go AAA, they don't spend much time there.    And after looking at the PCL teams and affiliations, I am not sure what team a Tulsa AAA squad would support, which is a key factor.  You generally want your AAA squad fairly close to the MLB squad for quick call ups (injury support etc.).  And while you are playing the west coast teams on occasion, you are generally playing teams from the middle of the country.  And you can almost guarantee that ticket prices will increase.  It is not about the location of the teams you are playing, it is about the caliber of players on that team. 

Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #97 on: July 03, 2012, 09:27:47 am »

I am not sure there is a huge advantage from going AA to AAA.  I don't think the "product" is better.  If the player is good enough to play in the majors, the second longest stop they will have in the progression is AA (MLB being the longest and final stop).  If they do go AAA, they don't spend much time there.    And after looking at the PCL teams and affiliations, I am not sure what team a Tulsa AAA squad would support, which is a key factor.  You generally want your AAA squad fairly close to the MLB squad for quick call ups (injury support etc.).  And while you are playing the west coast teams on occasion, you are generally playing teams from the middle of the country.  And you can almost guarantee that ticket prices will increase.  It is not about the location of the teams you are playing, it is about the caliber of players on that team. 

I agree that, in reality, the difference between AA and AAA isn't all that much.  If a player makes it to AA, he's generally on his way to the majors.  But I think it would be great for public perception if the Drillers could become a AAA franchise.

There's no question we could support it.  A quick look at average attendance in the PCL shows that the Drillers, even as a AA franchise, would currently rank 8th out of 17 franchises in the PCL if they were included.

We would rank ahead of places like Omaha, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, Reno, Nashville and Las Vegas.

As you say, the toughest thing would be to find an affiliation that makes sense. There are a finite number of AAA franchises, so someone would have to be "demoted."
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #98 on: July 03, 2012, 12:32:22 pm »

I agree that, in reality, the difference between AA and AAA isn't all that much.  If a player makes it to AA, he's generally on his way to the majors.  But I think it would be great for public perception if the Drillers could become a AAA franchise.

There's no question we could support it.  A quick look at average attendance in the PCL shows that the Drillers, even as a AA franchise, would currently rank 8th out of 17 franchises in the PCL if they were included.

We would rank ahead of places like Omaha, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, Reno, Nashville and Las Vegas.

As you say, the toughest thing would be to find an affiliation that makes sense. There are a finite number of AAA franchises, so someone would have to be "demoted."

I hate to perpetuate the OKC-Tulsa rivalry, but wouldn't it just be sweet if Houston moved their AAA franchise to Tulsa. I've heard OKC is NOT doing so well anymore. Honestly, I think it would be better to get the Cards to move from Memphis. People in this town seem to have an affinity for the Cards more than any other MLB team.

Fixed
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 03:11:30 pm by erfalf » Logged

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #99 on: July 03, 2012, 02:54:22 pm »

I hate to perpetuate the OKC-Tulsa rivalry, but wouldn't it just be sweet if Houston moved their AAA franchise to Tulsa. I've heard OKC is doing so well anymore. Honestly, I think it would be better to get the Cards to move from Memphis. People in this town seem to have an affinity for the Cards more than any other MLB team.

As a huge Cardinals fan myself, I would be in heaven if that happened!  Grin

As for OKC... they are essentially right in the middle of the pack in the PCL in attendance.  They average 5,247 per game, which puts them 10th of 16 teams. But they have fallen off significantly over the past 7 years. If you go back to 2005, they averaged more than 7,700 per game, which was near the top of the PCL.

JCnOwasso
Civic Leader

« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2012, 02:10:27 pm »

As a huge Cardinals fan myself, I would be in heaven if that happened!  Grin

As for OKC... they are essentially right in the middle of the pack in the PCL in attendance.  They average 5,247 per game, which puts them 10th of 16 teams. But they have fallen off significantly over the past 7 years. If you go back to 2005, they averaged more than 7,700 per game, which was near the top of the PCL.

One acronym... NBA.  OKC is not large enough to support all the sports they try to maintain (Bball, Baseball, hockey(?)).  Considering the beginning of the baseball season coincides with the end of the NBA season it is no doubt they are having issues.  The longer the Thunder make it in the playoffs, the more disconnected the fans are with the OKC AAA team.   Not to mention, OneOK would have the smallest capacity of ANY PCL team. 

But honestly, I don't think there is a perception issue.     

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org