A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:00:37 am
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) Brady Fairfield Inn by Marriott  (Read 56209 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2011, 05:50:42 pm »

Not exactly...property taxes and maintenance.

Maintenance can be a huge thing!  Even as we speak, I am planning the next big project - painting the house.  It has been about 16 years and while it still looks good from the curb, it is time.  And it is a bigger project than many people want to mess with.

Gonna have to strip off the old vinyl siding its getting brittle and warping (so much for lasting forever), and do a paint job here.  Couple years ago a water pipe busted under the house/foundation, $3,000.  Just got an estimate for jacking up the foundation because the drought caused the house to settle and crack $7,000 plus right there.  The driveway is also cracked and will have to be replaced some day. Mowing, trimming, weeding, planting, cutting down trees, mulching, watering, etc. always a blast lol. Will need new windows one of these days, and the gutters are going to need replacing.  Water heater and air conditioning units are looking long in the tooth. And yes, even if the house is paid off you will always have property taxes and insurance.  Sometimes an apartment doesn't look so bad lol.  Unfortunately, right now I need a lot of space or would also have to have a very large studio/workspace.

Oh, and yaaay on the groundbreaking for the Hotel!

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
dbacks fan
« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2011, 06:53:21 pm »

Gonna have to strip off the old vinyl siding its getting brittle and warping (so much for lasting forever), and do a paint job here.  Couple years ago a water pipe busted under the house/foundation, $3,000.  Just got an estimate for jacking up the foundation because the drought caused the house to settle and crack $7,000 plus right there.  The driveway is also cracked and will have to be replaced some day. Mowing, trimming, weeding, planting, cutting down trees, mulching, watering, etc. always a blast lol. Will need new windows one of these days, and the gutters are going to need replacing.  Water heater and air conditioning units are looking long in the tooth. And yes, even if the house is paid off you will always have property taxes and insurance.  Sometimes an apartment doesn't look so bad lol.  Unfortunately, right now I need a lot of space or would also have to have a very large studio/workspace.
Oh, and yaaay on the groundbreaking for the Hotel!

Yes, but with an apartment, you have some one living above, behind, below or beside you.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2011, 10:07:49 pm »

When you crunch all the numbers, there's no way home ownership is remotely comparable to an apartment. If you tally all these costs and you manage to sell for way more than you paid, maybe you come out even.

You got:
*Insurance on the structure.

*Property taxes.

*Maintenance (it sure is nice when everybody's worried about ice storm damage or whatever to know you're not gonna be financially screwed by a freak weather event)

*Increased utilities (a small one-bedroom is ridiculously cheap to heat and cool. $100 for a couple of the hottest months. $25 for the cheap months. In an old multi-unit brick building, you barely even need to turn on the heat until it gets really cold)

*Possible addition of a second car to the household and all its assorted expenses. Even the closest Owen Park homes are still two or three times farther from the core of downtown than most downtown apartments.

*Lawn maintenance costs (not huge, but I'm sure they add up).

*Safety/security. In an apartment in a multi-story building, the only real likely point of entry for a criminal is the door. In a house, you have way more points of entry. As someone who very easily broke into my parents house (as a child) multiple times when I forgot the key, that's kind of scary. So I'd probably need an alarm.

*Additional time expenditures. You're always tinkering with something on your house on weekends.

You got it exactly right!! 

And Townsend has been channeling Jay Schaeffer.  One of my favorite places on the web for years!

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/

There is no excuse for the excess we see in today's McMansion mentality.  It is a tradeoff of quality for quantity - good quality housing for volume in a box.  If I can remember, I will try to get a picture of Bob Stoop's new place and post it.  It is THE epitome of what is wrong with the collusion between builders, realtors, and county tax assessors in this country!  And just TRY to build a small house and see what happens.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2011, 10:28:43 pm »

quote]There is no excuse for the excess we see in today's McMansion mentality.  It is a tradeoff of quality for quantity - good quality housing for volume in a box.[/quote]

here, here.  The idea that we are all supposed to live in a little feifdom complete with moor is rediculous.  Maybe we should resurect surfdom as well.  Contact dick dale at the belarussian consulate!

Yes, but with an apartment, you have some one living above, behind, below or beside you.
this isn't always a problem.  Sure in the smaller older buidlings your neighbours can get to know your morning routine beter than you would hope.  But when I live at central park, I never heard anything (ok one time, I heard my neighbours having sex in time with Bon Jovi's living on a prayer, which wasn't annoying.  It was HILARIOUS!) and certainly couldn't hear anything from my upstairs and downtairs neighbours.  My rent was 950 for including cable (not interwebs, but I think it is now).  My personal preference would be to never, ever touch the handle of a mower ever again, just pay one bill, have the cellar dwellar as my auxilliary living room, and live on bicycle.  And never hear bon jovi again without a big smile on my face.  Grin

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2011, 10:58:45 pm »

quote]There is no excuse for the excess we see in today's McMansion mentality.  It is a tradeoff of quality for quantity - good quality housing for volume in a box.

I don't want a huge house but I want to need a phone to reach out and touch my neighbor.

My personal preference would be to never, ever touch the handle of a mower ever again, just pay one bill, have the cellar dwellar as my auxilliary living room, and live on bicycle.  And never hear bon jovi again without a big smile on my face.  Grin

I'm not real fond of mowing grass but I consider it the price I pay to have some room around me.  My next door neighbor plays his guitar loud enough I can hear it at the carport on the property line.  I can't hear it in the house.   We can let the dogs out in the fenced-in back yard and they have room to run and occasionally catch a rabbit, squirrel, or mole.  I wish he would catch a few more.  The moles make a mess and the squirrels eat my tomatoes.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2011, 11:47:06 pm »

quote]There is no excuse for the excess we see in today's McMansion mentality.  It is a tradeoff of quality for quantity - good quality housing for volume in a box.

here, here.  The idea that we are all supposed to live in a little feifdom complete with moor is rediculous.  Maybe we should resurect surfdom as well. 

Serfdom is the economic model we are pursuing at breakneck speed!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2011, 04:22:06 pm »

I don't want a huge house but I want to need a phone to reach out and touch my neighbor.
Don't punch a hole in your wall and it's not a problem. Wink

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2011, 05:16:47 pm »

Don't punch a hole in your wall and it's not a problem. Wink

Have you seen the Cleartone advertisements?  You obviously cannot hear them.

Cheesy

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #83 on: October 21, 2011, 07:08:30 pm »

Have you seen the Cleartone advertisements?  You obviously cannot hear them.

Cheesy

WHAT? YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO SPEAK UP!

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2011, 08:38:27 am »

WHAT? YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO SPEAK UP!

IS THIS LOUD ENOUGH?

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2011, 02:16:07 pm »

WHY ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT CROWDS?

dbacks fan
« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2011, 02:27:22 pm »

Your dentist says you need a crown?
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2011, 10:08:25 pm »

Clowns? they scare the hell out of me!

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
dbacks fan
« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2011, 10:42:47 pm »

Drowns in a stairwell?
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2011, 08:35:25 am »

It's not polite to tell people they're going to hell

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org