A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:06:12 am
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another stab at liquor law reform  (Read 278463 times)
joiei
City Father

« Reply #540 on: August 30, 2016, 11:54:18 am »

If you want to see what a grocery store/big box store wine and beer selection looks like just go check out the selection at Costco. The prices might be cheaper by a dollar here and there. The selection was chosen because that is what moves. And they do not give case discounts. I can find better prices at Deep Discount on 51st.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #541 on: August 30, 2016, 12:07:17 pm »

If you want to see what a grocery store/big box store wine and beer selection looks like just go check out the selection at Costco. The prices might be cheaper by a dollar here and there. The selection was chosen because that is what moves. And they do not give case discounts. I can find better prices at Deep Discount on 51st.

Check out Total Wine and BevMo.......

http://www.totalwine.com/

http://www.bevmo.com/

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #542 on: August 30, 2016, 02:20:59 pm »

One of the liquor store owners here intimated to me that there would be late night and Sunday sales. He may have been in error. It would surprise me knowing the nature of our "blue" laws that the rural communities would allow that. We don't even sell cars on Sunday's.

I’ve been in some places where they either have lockable cases when they are on “off” hours or the liquor and wine department might be in a separate, closed in area area which could be locked off much like the video rental or electronic sections would be when grocery stores still were doing a lot of that business.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #543 on: August 30, 2016, 04:40:52 pm »

I’ve been in some places where they either have lockable cases when they are on “off” hours or the liquor and wine department might be in a separate, closed in area area which could be locked off much like the video rental or electronic sections would be when grocery stores still were doing a lot of that business.

If I remember correctly,  when I was in Uvalde, TX a few years ago, the H-E-B grocery store person told me I would have to wait until 10:00 (or whatever time it was on Sunday AM) to buy beer.  There wasn't any blockage of access to the aisle.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 04:47:21 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #544 on: August 30, 2016, 04:42:53 pm »

I stopped in the "Costco" liquor store shortly after they opened. It was disappointing at best.  Dismal beer selection.  They had some wine and spirits but I don't buy much of  them so I didn't spend any real  time looking.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #545 on: August 30, 2016, 04:45:26 pm »

You need to bring something to the table a grocery store does - selection, knowledge, customer service, price. Something.

I do not anticipate a grocery store bringing much in the way of selection, knowledge or customer service.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #546 on: August 31, 2016, 07:00:38 am »

I do not anticipate a grocery store bringing much in the way of selection, knowledge or customer service.

I meant to say "something a grocery store does NOT..."

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #547 on: August 31, 2016, 08:24:08 am »

I meant to say "something a grocery store does NOT..."

Yeah.. except a lot of the liquor stores are trash. That's why they don't want to compete because they don't think they can.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #548 on: August 31, 2016, 09:15:07 am »

How will they handle late nite and Sunday sales with this expansion? Reasors is open on Sunday and some grocers are 24 hours. If my favorite brands (not exotic by any means- rum with a pirate on the label, wine with hopping kangaroos and Vodka with polish names) are available when I shop groceries it sure seems to me Ranch Acres will be relegated to elite shoppers much like Petty's.

Liquor is not going to be in grocery stores under the proposed changes.

I skimmed SJR 68 and the bill that will enact the changes and it is unclear to me what the days/hours for beer and wine sales in grocery/convenience stores will be.  Logically, such sales should be treated the same as 3.2 sales are now - pretty much any time.  If so, that will really put liquor stores at a disadvantage.  We could see some of the larger liquor stores with available space create a fixed division of their stores between wine/beer and liquor departments.  Then they can keep the wine/beer store open for longer hours and on Sundays. 
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #549 on: August 31, 2016, 10:33:27 am »

Liquor is not going to be in grocery stores under the proposed changes.

I skimmed SJR 68 and the bill that will enact the changes and it is unclear to me what the days/hours for beer and wine sales in grocery/convenience stores will be.  Logically, such sales should be treated the same as 3.2 sales are now - pretty much any time.  If so, that will really put liquor stores at a disadvantage.  We could see some of the larger liquor stores with available space create a fixed division of their stores between wine/beer and liquor departments.  Then they can keep the wine/beer store open for longer hours and on Sundays. 

Thank you. That was the concern of the liquor store owner I talked to. That a grocery open 7 days a week, 24 hours a day had a real advantage in sales opportunity. In fact that store is already divided into three areas with two separate openings, so he much figure its going to pass and he's ready. But its unlikely he'll be able to justify being open so many more hours.

onward...through the fog
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #550 on: November 30, 2016, 01:13:04 pm »

OHP isnt the only DPS entity they could trim to keep their bureaucracy afloat...  A.B.L.E. seems a lot less relevant these days.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/capitol_report/ohp-troopers-given--mile-daily-driving-limit-due-to/article_2244c2ac-5f60-5e6e-be02-aa3b9e9eab03.html
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 10:39:13 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #551 on: December 19, 2016, 07:25:20 pm »

Retail Liquor Association of Oklahoma files lawsuit attempting to block SQ 792 stating that it's not constitutional.  Jeez.

http://www.newson6.com/story/34092273/retail-liquor-association-of-oklahoma-files-lawsuit-against-able-commission

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #552 on: December 20, 2016, 08:45:08 am »

Retail Liquor Association of Oklahoma files lawsuit attempting to block SQ 792 stating that it's not constitutional.  Jeez.

http://www.newson6.com/story/34092273/retail-liquor-association-of-oklahoma-files-lawsuit-against-able-commission

Letters.  Phone calls.  Tell your favorite liquor store what a doushy thing that is to pull.

Perhaps organize a one day rolling boycott of each of the top members just to let them know what a doushy thing it is.  I will be going to the Costco for at least a little while - a very little while - instead of my normal liquor store - and the usual place will hear from me.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #553 on: December 20, 2016, 08:59:21 am »

Retail Liquor Association of Oklahoma files lawsuit attempting to block SQ 792 stating that it's not constitutional.  Jeez.

I was unable to find a copy of the suit, but as I understand it from articles the core legal complaint is that QT and Walmart (and the like) can own as many high-point beer and wine locations as they want, while a resident of Oklahoma can only own 2 liquor stores under the new law.  Also, I think liquor stores are limited in the amount of non-alcohol items they can sell, but I'm not sure Walmart is similarly limited. I believe this is essentially the same challenge they brought before the vote, as described in detail in this July article.  Obviously that failed and the vote went forward, but the judge did indicate that the Court had some "questions" about the constitutionality of new law: http://journalrecord.com/2016/08/01/judge-denies-plea-to-block-alcohol-ballot-measure-law/

So we shall see...

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #554 on: December 20, 2016, 09:10:39 am »

I want to be able to buy a spray can of wasp and hornet killer at my liquor store.

Grin

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org