A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:52:07 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 15 Dangerous Cities for Driving - Yep we're on the list  (Read 14127 times)
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 07:22:32 am »

Didn't play a part according to the article and its comments section following. Most retirees in the Florida area live in communities where they don't drive as they don't need to. This list pointed out that pedestrians are in more danger in Tulsa than they are in much larger cities.

They really didn't pin a reason but from friends I know who live there its a combination of dense population, young people, immigrants, alcohol, drugs, wealth and tourism. All the stuff people want in a big city. Wink

onward...through the fog
dbacks fan
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2011, 11:20:44 am »

Hey, Tulsa didn't make the list of most dangerous for pedestrians.

http://t4america.org/resources/dangerousbydesign2011/states/worst-metros/

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2011, 12:31:26 pm »

Would seem to reason that one must have pedestrians in the first place, in order for there to be a danger to them.  Can't have a real danger to something that doesn't really exist.  Wink

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 12:43:32 pm »

Different studies. Go figure.
The Yahoo one had Tulsa population at 385,000 with 18.5% of our traffic deaths as pedestrians.
Jacksonville at 807,000 with only 13.8%
Memphis at 669,000 with only 11.9%
OKC at 551,000 with only 13.5%

Actually the smaller cities seemed to have larger pedestrian deaths than the larger ones. More cars less pedestrians?

onward...through the fog
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2011, 12:47:23 pm »

I wonder why so many FL cities made the grade? Most of them are retirement areas for the elderly. It just makes me wonder if advanced age drivers  plays a part in driving safety. Huh

Not trying to be rude here, but have you ever been to Florida? Those jerks. I have never seen more impatient drivers in one place. Granted, half of them are tourists, but Florida is not an easy place to try to drive in. It's an espescially scary place to be a pedestrian in.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2011, 01:21:18 pm »

Not trying to be rude here, but have you ever been to Florida? Those jerks. I have never seen more impatient drivers in one place. Granted, half of them are tourists, but Florida is not an easy place to try to drive in. It's an espescially scary place to be a pedestrian in.

Then you've not been to:

New York
DC/ NoVa (that's Northern Virginia)
San Francisco
Los Angeles (worst of all of them)
Dallas is nearly as bad as all of them.

If so, my apologie, but I was in Florida for work back in my youth.  Maybe it's changed, but their driving seemed tepid as it compared to some of the cities above I mentioned.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2011, 01:45:56 pm »

I've never noticed anything with Dallas drivers being impatient, I've never actually been to LA, but around San Diego, and Del Mar it wasn't bad, I've never been to San Francisco, New York, or DC, so I don't know about them. I guess I shouldn't have said that Florida was the worst I've been to though, because drivers in Chicago are some of the biggest jerks I've ever seen.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2011, 02:23:07 pm »

I've never noticed anything with Dallas drivers being impatient, I've never actually been to LA, but around San Diego, and Del Mar it wasn't bad, I've never been to San Francisco, New York, or DC, so I don't know about them. I guess I shouldn't have said that Florida was the worst I've been to though, because drivers in Chicago are some of the biggest jerks I've ever seen.

You can get run over on the LBJ if you are going slower than 75.  Even worse on I-35 to Austin.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2011, 03:56:36 pm »

You can get run over on the LBJ if you are going slower than 75.  Even worse on I-35 to Austin.

On the North Central Freeway near McKinney, it never fails to have the worst drivers I have ever seen.  Ever..don't know if it's the water or what, but they epitomize impatience.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2011, 08:06:09 pm »

On the North Central Freeway near McKinney, it never fails to have the worst drivers I have ever seen.  Ever..don't know if it's the water or what, but they epitomize impatience.

Tulsa is good training to gain patience.   3 abreast on Memorial at 10 to 15 less than the speed limit in clear dry weather with no traffic in front teaches you to ride the brake.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2011, 09:34:12 pm »

Tulsa is good training to gain patience.   3 abreast on Memorial at 10 to 15 less than the speed limit in clear dry weather with no traffic in front teaches you to ride the brake.

I'd rather that than someone trying to run me down at 85 mph while I'm in the middle lane.  That's why they have left lanes, to all the N. Texas moron drivers.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2011, 09:54:52 pm »

I'd rather that than someone trying to run me down at 85 mph while I'm in the middle lane.  That's why they have left lanes, to all the N. Texas moron drivers.

There are no left lanes in Tulsa.  All lanes are equal.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2011, 10:00:08 pm »

There are no left lanes in Tulsa.  All lanes are equal.

On 169 that's definitely the case.  Especially for the dimwitted dump truck drivers who refuse to tarp their cargo and think that 5 under the speed limit in the left lane is amusing.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2011, 09:26:08 am »

What really irks me is when I happen to be in the left lane and going the speed limit, or even a hair over, and still some jerk zooms right up on me and acts like I am the one in the wrong?  Seriously!?  They couldn't have got up on my tail in the first place, unless THEY were the ones breaking the law.  And then are apparently wanting me to continue letting them break the law by moving over so they can illegally speed onward lol.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2011, 09:34:28 am »

What really irks me is when I happen to be in the left lane and going the speed limit, or even a hair over, and still some jerk zooms right up on me and acts like I am the one in the wrong?  Seriously!?  They couldn't have got up on my tail in the first place, unless THEY were the ones breaking the law.  And then are apparently wanting me to continue letting them break the law by moving over so they can illegally speed onward lol.

Under the law of most states, you are in the wrong. They post those "slower traffic keep right" or "keep right except to pass" signs for a reason. In Oklahoma, you are to use the farthest right lane unless you are passing. In Arkansas, you can hang out in the left lane as long as you like so long as you're not blocking traffic.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org