A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:53:26 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I-44 Corridor through "Tulsa"  (Read 26524 times)
bacjz00
Civic Leader

« on: July 29, 2011, 12:06:44 pm »

Driving around this week, something dawned on me.  The only interstate passing through our city completely bypasses our downtown area.  I'm not sure I can think of another Top 50 city where this is the case.  The decision to move I-44 down south 50+ YEARS ago I think inadvertently pulled more focus and people away from our actual "city center".  Think about how many millions of cars pass "through Tulsa" every year and never even get more than an awkward glimpse at our real crown jewel, downtown.  Whoever decided that Tulsa was just another dusty town along a highway that needed to be bypassed instead of moving people right through the heart of our downtown which was even then the center for commerce, entertainment and shopping should be ashamed.  They basically cut off the best part of Tulsa from some of our easiest would be residents, passing automobile passengers.  Oh...and in the process they pretty much demoted downtown to an after thought for its own citizens.

Shame on whoever let this happen.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 12:37:19 pm »

Not sure the point you are making, for those who want to go downtown or stop off there, we've got I-244 or the BA for access to it from I-44.  Typically, the interstates "by-pass" major cities by elevating the road over them or moving it around them.  The whole point of the interstate system was to by-pass a ton of commerce and congestion so we could move people through an area a whole lot quicker.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 05:24:50 pm »

Driving around this week, something dawned on me.  The only interstate passing through our city completely bypasses our downtown area.  I'm not sure I can think of another Top 50 city where this is the case.  The decision to move I-44 down south 50+ YEARS ago I think inadvertently pulled more focus and people away from our actual "city center".  Think about how many millions of cars pass "through Tulsa" every year and never even get more than an awkward glimpse at our real crown jewel, downtown.  Whoever decided that Tulsa was just another dusty town along a highway that needed to be bypassed instead of moving people right through the heart of our downtown which was even then the center for commerce, entertainment and shopping should be ashamed.  They basically cut off the best part of Tulsa from some of our easiest would be residents, passing automobile passengers.  Oh...and in the process they pretty much demoted downtown to an after thought for its own citizens.

Shame on whoever let this happen.

uhhhhhhh what...... Huh Huh Huh

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 06:40:04 pm »

Where would they have run I-44 near downtown? Probably through the neighborhood I live in now. It wasn't well regarded at that time. The land and construction costs would have been higher as well.

I remember passing through OKC, KC, and Minnie far enough away that I just saw the skyline. But Denver, St.Louis, St.Paul, Dallas and Houston were very close though I didn't feel obliged to live in any of them. Smiley

I don't fault their reasoning back when cities were expanding outwards not inwards.

onward...through the fog
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 06:43:21 pm »

Is 75 considered an interstate?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 08:16:40 pm »

Is 75 considered an interstate?
No
Interstates do not have stop-lights, crossroads, etc
plus it's US-75, not I-75

I-75 runs from the great lakes to Florida
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_75
bacjz00
Civic Leader

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 11:22:25 pm »

Oh I know I sound like I'm making something out of nothing, probably am.  As a kid, I spent many hours in the back seat of a caprice wagon on long road trips.  My best friend was a road atlas.  It was like looking at blueprints after awhile.  When I got my license at 16, I spent most of my summers and school breaks driving around the 5-state area with friends.   My parents weren't the "hands-on" type.  I never really needed a map to get from city to city, most of those "blueprints" were still in my head and road signs and highway markers always reinforced my decisions.  

Tulsa has always been different...a little behind...a little less like other cities that are known to all who pass through them as CITIES not towns.  Little things like seeing Tulsa printed as "Tulsa, Okla." in any magazine list it might make, while towns like Little Rock and Albuquerque stand alone.  It's amazing how many people still don't even know what state Tulsa is in.

I know the interstate thing is probably a stretch, but looking at a map Tulsa is just strange.  The city grew so lopsided away from it's real "city center" that many forget about it altogether.  Cities that grow out FROM their de facto center never fall to far off anyone's radar, whether they be passing through or actually live in surrounding areas.  Point is, there's nothing natural about where our downtown ended up.   It's almost an outpost in this city to most people, not a funneling point.  People here just don't gravitate towards it.  I guess I was looking for some key moment when the big awkward tumor called southeast Tulsa "happened" and downtown got forgotten.   For me, it seems like I-44 set it in concrete even if it was already happening.

I get that it was easier to locate it south, I guess the reality is that Tulsa was probably one of the very last large cities to actually get an interstate at all.  Always behind, always forgotten.  By the time it made it here, trying to build the highway through downtown probably seemed ludicrous.  Forgive my rambling, I have a weird relationship with Tulsa.  It's been like an underachieving kid to me for most of my life.

Can someone pass me a beer? Lol

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 09:26:14 am »

My memory of the Interstates is that the by-passes around the larger cities were built before the main route through the city. 

St Louis was certainly that way.  When we moved here from Philadelphia area (No one around here probably knows where Springfield, Delaware County, PA is.), we were following I-70 to pick up I-44 in St Louis.  We followed the "TO I-44" signs with a caravan of three cars, two towing trailers, through somewhere in St Louis.  When I went back to school (Univ of Delaware) a few weeks later, I made sure to take the bypass routes.

Memphis, TN never did and never will complete the main route through center city.

I am sure there are more examples.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 09:33:46 am »

plus it's US-75, not I-75

I-75 runs from the great lakes to Florida

I am always surprised at the number of people around here that either don't know or choose to ignore that route 75 in Oklahoma is not I-75.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 11:44:22 am »

I am always surprised at the number of people around here that either don't know or choose to ignore that route 75 in Oklahoma is not I-75.
Sheesh Red, I know where I-75 is. I just asked whether 75 could be "considered an interstate". My point was that there is a highway that crosses numerous states, U.S. 75, that can get people traveling that route near downtown Tulsa. Here's a map.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 11:59:09 am »

Sheesh Red, I know where I-75 is.

Don't feel like I singled you out, because I didn't.

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 12:02:54 pm »

The city grew so lopsided away from it's real "city center" that many forget about it altogether.  Cities that grow out FROM their de facto center never fall to far off anyone's radar, whether they be passing through or actually live in surrounding areas.  Point is, there's nothing natural about where our downtown ended up.

I have no idea what any other city's growth pattern is.   It certainly doesn't affect my perception..  Can we do a survey.   Are cities where the "downtown" is in the geographical center cooler/hipper/more-pedestrian-friendly than cities where it's not?

Most any coastal/water city is going to grow away from the water.
Maybe that's why I've never had much interest in visiting Chicago.   The whole city is west of it's downtown.
However, it's the same thing in Boston, which is probably my fav US city
Seattle was also very cool...

Sprawl is sprawl, whether it's in all directions or not.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 12:06:24 pm »

Don't feel like I singled you out, because I didn't.

I'm off my meds today. Sorry.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 01:19:00 pm »

Sheesh Red, I know where I-75 is. I just asked whether 75 could be "considered an interstate". My point was that there is a highway that crosses numerous states, U.S. 75, that can get people traveling that route near downtown Tulsa. Here's a map.

You actually make a good point, and there has been talk recently of another major north/south corridor being given an interstate rating at some time.

This is a good starting point.  Yes, I'm a road geek.  Have been since I was young and would go on trips with the grandparents to not far off places (Dogpatch AR, Silver Dollar City before it turned into a huge tourist hole, many other places).

http://www.interstate-guide.com/future.html

If that alignment you show were to happen, it would likely be given the designate of Interstate 41.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 01:21:30 pm by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 04:26:01 pm »

If that alignment you show were to happen, it would likely be given the designate of Interstate 41.

Or maybe I-37 since there is already a I-39 going from Peoria IL to somewhere in Wisconsin.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org