A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:34:44 am
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arrested for Videotaping  (Read 188006 times)
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #120 on: July 05, 2013, 01:57:45 pm »

Okay streetlight boy, let me see if I can speak more plainly. "Rosby had previous run ins with Hawthorn PD. He Was suing the PD over false imprisonment. HE STOPPED HIS CAR AND GOT OUT WITH HIS DOG TO VIDEO A POLICE SITUATION.

His actions caused the end result. But I guess that's not right with you. The police were out of line and targeted him deliberately. Guess in your mind Zimmerman is the bad guy as well. Guilty until proven innocent seems to be your way of thinking.

Tell you what streetlight, if your house catches fire, I'll make sure to park my car in front of the nearest hydrant, and video the fire, then sue the city for towing and damages to my car when they move it to get to the hydrant, and sue PD for false arrest because it's my right to stop anywhere and shoot video.

Perhaps you are a policeman and see the situation differently. As a non uniformed citizen, there are few who would agree with your remarks. Especially those highlighted above.

Its troublesome that you think folks with cameras documenting arrests from a distance are the real problem and deserve what they get. Would you be happier if they hid their cameras in their shirt collars or lapels?

onward...through the fog
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #121 on: July 05, 2013, 09:37:58 pm »

Perhaps you are a policeman and see the situation differently. As a non uniformed citizen, there are few who would agree with your remarks.
Its troublesome that you think folks with cameras documenting arrests from a distance are the real problem and deserve what they get.

AquaMan renders the majority decision:

Petitions at change.org, causes.com and whitehouse.gov have gotten more than 130,000 signatures of people calling for the officer who killed the dog to be fired.

The married father of three and ordained minister on Tuesday said the shooting was an act of retaliation by police for allegations he had made against the department.
Rosby, 52, said he was returning home from the park Sunday afternoon with his 2-year-old Rottweiler, Max. His home is about a block from 137th Street and Jefferson Avenue, where police officers had finished a nearly two-hour standoff with armed robbery suspects.

Rosby, a licensed contractor and former basketball coach, said he recognized one of the two officers at the scene as one of the defendants in his March 2013 complaint filed against the city of Hawthorne. Rosby alleges that the officer, along with several others, assaulted and brutalized him in July 2012.

On Sunday, Rosby said officers accused him of resisting even though he was handcuffed.
“I hollered out to the crowd, ‘No, I’m not,’” said Rosby, explaining that more than 75 people were standing nearby, some also shooting  video.

Police confiscated his phone, he said, and reviewed his video footage while he was handcuffed in the back of the police car. He said police had yet to return his phone.

Roughly half of all firearms discharges by police officers involve shooting a canine, according to an ASPCA review of public records. There is an entire Facebook page devoted to sad stories of people whose dogs were killed by police.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/police-are-shooting-dogs-2013-7
https://www.facebook.com/DogsShotbyPolice
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #122 on: July 06, 2013, 07:57:39 am »

An article of faith among our more authoritarian countrymen is that if you've done nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about when it comes to surveillance or even government snooping. If that's true, police and security guards have nothing to worry about when a citizen records them in a public place.

We have enough problems with enforcement of existing laws. Let's not try to enforce imaginary ones. 

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #123 on: July 06, 2013, 09:05:41 pm »

Okay streetlight boy, let me see if I can speak more plainly. "Rosby had previous run ins with Hawthorn PD. He Was suing the PD over false imprisonment. HE STOPPED HIS CAR AND GOT OUT WITH HIS DOG TO VIDEO A POLICE SITUATION.

His actions caused the end result. But I guess that's not right with you. The police were out of line and targeted him deliberately. Guess in your mind Zimmerman is the bad guy as well. Guilty until proven innocent seems to be your way of thinking.

Tell you what streetlight, if your house catches fire, I'll make sure to park my car in front of the nearest hydrant, and video the fire, then sue the city for towing and damages to my car when they move it to get to the hydrant, and sue PD for false arrest because it's my right to stop anywhere and shoot video.

So what??

Really?  You gotta be kiddin'... do you understand or have any comprehension of the concept of public street??   And in general, the fact (maybe this is where you get all mixed up) that pretty much anybody can either get out of their car, or stay in their car for that matter to do anything (or NOT do anything) they want, as long as it is not illegal.  Or are you from the Soviet School of Lack-of-Thought??

His actions - as are obvious from the video - are the he was standing in a public area watching things happen, as were others that can also be seen around the area.   This whole post must be (is) a farce.  Even in Oklahoma, with your GED imminent sometime in the next 6 or 7 years, you cannot possibly be that dense in the real world....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #124 on: July 06, 2013, 09:26:40 pm »

So what??

Really?  You gotta be kiddin'... do you understand or have any comprehension of the concept of public street??   And in general, the fact (maybe this is where you get all mixed up) that pretty much anybody can either get out of their car, or stay in their car for that matter to do anything (or NOT do anything) they want, as long as it is not illegal.  Or are you from the Soviet School of Lack-of-Thought??

His actions - as are obvious from the video - are the he was standing in a public area watching things happen, as were others that can also be seen around the area.   This whole post must be (is) a farce.  Even in Oklahoma, with your GED imminent sometime in the next 6 or 7 years, you cannot possibly be that dense in the real world....

Believe it.  I've met more than one person like this in the last 12 months.  Makes me sad for my state.

But not surprised.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #125 on: July 07, 2013, 12:08:22 pm »

I think cameras everywhere are a given and in the long run will make everyone safer. And that sometimes means safer from unfair treatment from law enforcement.

I trust such reason prevails soon, otherwise there could be a lot of people having their glasses yanked off their faces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4isOSntnpo8

"Being arrested is not a private moment. It's public. In fact, an arrest is made on behalf of the public. No right of privacy outweighs the public's need to know how its police perform an arrest.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/Police_videos_draw_disparate_opinions_in_Oklahoma/20130708_11_A1_CUTLIN973815
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 12:35:34 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #126 on: July 08, 2013, 05:42:34 pm »

Believe it.  I've met more than one person like this in the last 12 months.  Makes me sad for my state.

But not surprised.

I'm betting Callahan is our long lost teatownclown....he passed on and was reincarnated...the same.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #127 on: July 25, 2013, 10:53:52 am »

Detroit NOT doing it's part to avoid civil rights lawsuits;

Police said they are looking into the conduct of Detroit Free Press photographer Mandi Wright and the actions of an officer who ordered her to stop filming on a public street and wrestled her phone away from her. They also are looking into the disappearance of a memory card from her newspaper-issued iPhone and whether she was briefly left alone with the crime suspect whom she had been filming.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130721/OPINION05/307210055/

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #128 on: July 29, 2013, 10:50:08 pm »

This one along I-40 in Oklahoma:

Driving down Interstate 40, Julius Crooks was headed home to California, but he ran into trouble in Caddo County.

Crooks says a group pulled him over twice in five minutes and ended up taking the $7,900 he was traveling with.
They confiscated his rifle as well.

“I asked them what was the problem, why were we being searched and stuff like that,” said Crooks. “Nobody gave me a reaction or a response.”
Crooks says the group, some in uniform, some in plain clothes, did not arrest him because he didn’t have drugs.

“When they were leaving and I was pulling out my phone to take pictures of their car and get their car number license plates and stuff, the officer stopped me he told me if I take any pictures or any videos, he was going to taze me.”

http://kfor.com/2013/07/29/aclu-drug-task-force-trainers-impersonating-officers/

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #129 on: July 30, 2013, 02:10:43 am »

This one along I-40 in Oklahoma:

Driving down Interstate 40, Julius Crooks was headed home to California, but he ran into trouble in Caddo County.

Crooks says a group pulled him over twice in five minutes and ended up taking the $7,900 he was traveling with.
They confiscated his rifle as well.

“I asked them what was the problem, why were we being searched and stuff like that,” said Crooks. “Nobody gave me a reaction or a response.”
Crooks says the group, some in uniform, some in plain clothes, did not arrest him because he didn’t have drugs.

“When they were leaving and I was pulling out my phone to take pictures of their car and get their car number license plates and stuff, the officer stopped me he told me if I take any pictures or any videos, he was going to taze me.”

http://kfor.com/2013/07/29/aclu-drug-task-force-trainers-impersonating-officers/
The whole thing stinks, but I do have to ask, why would this guy be traveling with $7,900 in cash?
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #130 on: July 30, 2013, 05:15:00 am »

Lots of workers visit our state for tree trimming, roofing etc. They aren't licensed, employed or residents here. They operate on a cash basis. Not uncommon for them to operate out of their pockets as banks aren't keen on them.

Many years back I heard of a tree trimmer who lost his entire earnings the same way. He was stopped by an officer with a drug sniffing dog and they confiscated his money as the dog detected drugs on the money. Of course money passes through a lot of hands, those of bankers and those of drug dealers. They knew he had no recourse. Turns out this has been going on for a long time.

Regardless as to whether they are operating legally in the state, one expects our law enforcement to follow the law.

onward...through the fog
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #131 on: July 30, 2013, 10:19:58 am »

The whole thing stinks, but I do have to ask, why would this guy be traveling with $7,900 in cash?

What kind of wrong headed, warped and twisted crock of carp is that??  This must be one of 'dem dar ree-torical questions....

Whose business is it?  Until there is some cause to suspect him of a crime, it is NO ONE's business if he is carrying seventy nine hundred or seventy nine cents.  A hand full or a bucket full of cash is not probable cause....oh, wait...yeah, since most people in Oklahoma will never be able to put together that kind of money at one time due to our low wages, maybe it is probable cause..??

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #132 on: July 30, 2013, 10:22:33 am »

Regardless as to whether they are operating legally in the state, one expects our law enforcement to follow the law.

Rose colored glasses moment....  what in the history of our state would ever create any kind of expectation in your mind that law enforcement would follow the law??  Especially since the law enforcement officers that presided over the very beginning were committing crimes - against humanity, if not against the letter of law.

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #133 on: July 30, 2013, 10:41:21 am »

What kind of wrong headed, warped and twisted crock of carp is that??  This must be one of 'dem dar ree-torical questions....

Whose business is it?  Until there is some cause to suspect him of a crime, it is NO ONE's business if he is carrying seventy nine hundred or seventy nine cents.  A hand full or a bucket full of cash is not probable cause....oh, wait...yeah, since most people in Oklahoma will never be able to put together that kind of money at one time due to our low wages, maybe it is probable cause..??

I never said anything was right about what was going on with what this group was doing.  In no way should it ever have even came out that he had that much money.  I'm just saying that with the knowledge of him having that kind of money, why in the world would someone be carrying that much cash with them? In the past I could see reason for it, but now days, it is a rare thing for someone to do so. 
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #134 on: July 30, 2013, 11:17:28 am »

I never said anything was right about what was going on with what this group was doing.  In no way should it ever have even came out that he had that much money.  I'm just saying that with the knowledge of him having that kind of money, why in the world would someone be carrying that much cash with them? In the past I could see reason for it, but now days, it is a rare thing for someone to do so. 

Almost every farmer or rancher I have ever met prefers to do large transactions in cash, such as the purchase of a bull or a piece of machinery.
I think it's a mindset of rural folk not to filter all their finances through a bank, and misconduct by the "too large to fail" institutions seems to have reenforced that in recent years. 
It's not a crime to possess or deal in cash, nor are people who do so criminals just for exercising that option.

As far as the "war on drugs" being outsourced to armed robbers, enough people have died from being Tasered that being threatened with one would put you in fear for your life.  That District Attorney might as well have a contract with Los Zetas, since they have so much law experience.

But back on topic, it's pretty clear that this man was stopped from documenting something that they knew was illegal.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org