A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 01:08:58 am
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What new establishment would you like downtown?  (Read 51245 times)
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #135 on: March 14, 2012, 12:48:49 pm »

I have been to Capital Grille, Flemmings and RC and I can only reference the ones in the Phoenix area, all of them are located in upscale/high end areas. RC and Capital are located in the Biltmore area which is just about three miles from all of the major resorts, Phoenecian/Biltmore/Camel Back and an area where there are corp hqs and financial businesses, and the same two are in North Scottsdale near TPC Scottsdale/what used to be the Princess Resort/ Discount Tire HQ/Heinkel-Dial Corp HQ/ and several financial businesses and Flemmings is in the heart of resorts in Scottsdale.

With the rebirth of DT I think Ruth's is a good addition, and with other business building or moving DT I think it will do well.

I assume a RC downtown will primarily focus on business travelers/client entertaining.  Currently there are not many places downtown compatible with high-end expense account meals.  Junipers is great, but it is often full and the menue is pretty small (not a problem for me, but a negative if you are taking people you do not know well).  Typically for such meals I now go to Utica Sq. or Cherry St. even thought the travelers are staying downtown.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #136 on: March 14, 2012, 01:11:00 pm »

Wholly snapple ! Do you extend your pinky out when you drink too ?

No, but I do wear an ascot.

Those prices really aren't that far out of line with other places in Tulsa.  Mahogany, Flemings, The Summit, Palace Cafe, etc will all get your for $50-60 a plate before cocktails/wine/beer.  Isn't a Does Eat Place steak easily $35?

We dined at Palace Cafe a few weeks ago and dinner for two with a bottle of wine (~$40) was $130 with tip and that was for a vegetarian meal.  I had a ribeye, side, and a glass of wine with a friend who is a member of The Summit a few weeks back.  My portion was $85.

Ruth's Chris is a similar price point.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 01:14:00 pm by rdj » Logged

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #137 on: March 14, 2012, 01:13:06 pm »

I assume a RC downtown will primarily focus on business travelers/client entertaining.  Currently there are not many places downtown compatible with high-end expense account meals.  Junipers is great, but it is often full and the menue is pretty small (not a problem for me, but a negative if you are taking people you do not know well).  Typically for such meals I now go to Utica Sq. or Cherry St. even thought the travelers are staying downtown.

Unless you are a member of The Summit the only "high end" dining downtown is Daily Grill.  Brady Tavern tries to be higher end, but it isn't quite there IMO, although I find it very, very good.

Also, if you are entertaining an out of town guest for business it is a bit more impressive to take them to a chain they are familiar with.  Not all out of town guests want to visit the local upscale eatery.  They want something that makes them feel comfortable.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #138 on: March 14, 2012, 01:26:33 pm »

No, but I do wear an ascot.

Those prices really aren't that far out of line with other places in Tulsa.  Mahogany, Flemings, The Summit, Palace Cafe, etc will all get your for $50-60 a plate before cocktails/wine/beer.  Isn't a Does Eat Place steak easily $35?

We dined at Palace Cafe a few weeks ago and dinner for two with a bottle of wine (~$40) was $130 with tip and that was for a vegetarian meal.  I had a ribeye, side, and a glass of wine with a friend who is a member of The Summit a few weeks back.  My portion was $85.

Ruth's Chris is a similar price point.

Funny, I only seem sensitive to price when I'm home.  Partially because MC and I love to cook and are pretty good at it and I won't pay big $$ for marginal crap in a contrived atmosphere.  However, for a truly great meal, I have no problem opening the wallet, I just won't eat like that seven days a week.

When I travel, I don't worry as much about it.  I'm just back from 10 days in the BVI, I don't even want to discuss the total food/beverage budget for the week.  Oh, but the atmosphere and incredibly fresh fish!

No, not a trick photo, and not a salad plate.  Anegada lobster.  1/2 a lobster will keep you busy for an hour, $35 at Big Bamboo at Loblolly Bay quite a bargain compared to Maine lobster and much sweeter meat:

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #139 on: March 14, 2012, 01:53:52 pm »

Just one question: How in the heck did you get a yellow lemon in the BVI?

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #140 on: March 14, 2012, 01:56:27 pm »

Just one question: How in the heck did you get a yellow lemon in the BVI?

Dude, he got a girl to go to BVI with him.  The yellow lemon is incidental.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #141 on: March 14, 2012, 02:27:39 pm »

Dude, he got a girl to go to BVI with him.  The yellow lemon is incidental.

Thread winner!

Yellow lemon is not hard at all to find there.  Consider that the primary butter we had was from New Zealand, milk was from a dairy in Florida, and they even had Fiji water.  I would suspect most citrus in the US and BVI comes from Florida.

I forget Nathan, did you say you do drink Presidente when you are down in the DR?  I had forgotten it was brewed there.  2nd favorite beer in the tropics behind Carib.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #142 on: March 14, 2012, 03:30:40 pm »

I forget Nathan, did you say you do drink Presidente when you are down in the DR?  I had forgotten it was brewed there.  2nd favorite beer in the tropics behind Carib.

Yes, it's my beer of choice in the DR. Of course, there's not a lot of choice among beers in the DR. I don't think I've seen Carib there. I'll look out for it when I'm back down there this summer.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Koti
Citizen

« Reply #143 on: March 15, 2012, 12:57:18 pm »

Quik Trip Stadium home of the Tulsa Roughnecks MLS/USL franchise . . . 20,000 seat open concept tied to Oneok Field. Pretty sure MLS/USL play opposite Drillers, so pull of folks downtown to spend $$$

I second this.  I wasn't in Tulsa for the Roughnecks but from what I have heard they had a pretty good following.  We were in KC last summer for a KC Sporting game in their brand new stadium and I couldn't help but dream about an MLS team in Tulsa. 

Also, while I am writing, how about a QT on the north side of downtown between Cincinnati and Detroit?  I live in Brady Heights and there aren't a lot of options for gas close by.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #144 on: March 15, 2012, 01:16:21 pm »

I second this.  I wasn't in Tulsa for the Roughnecks but from what I have heard they had a pretty good following.  We were in KC last summer for a KC Sporting game in their brand new stadium and I couldn't help but dream about an MLS team in Tulsa.  

Also, while I am writing, how about a QT on the north side of downtown between Cincinnati and Detroit?  I live in Brady Heights and there aren't a lot of options for gas close by.

I was a "Roughneck" fan and went to most all the home games. Tulsa had no idea what the team pulled off when they won the "Soccer Bowl" it was very exciting to win what the "New York Cosmos" always won.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #145 on: March 15, 2012, 01:39:35 pm »

Also, while I am writing, how about a QT on the north side of downtown between Cincinnati and Detroit?  I live in Brady Heights and there aren't a lot of options for gas close by.

As a resident of near north Tulsa, I'll second that.  The state of the Zen Zel Plaza gas station is such that I avoid even gasing up my lawnmower there.  I'd love to see a QT at Pine & LL Tisdale.

Koti
Citizen

« Reply #146 on: March 15, 2012, 02:31:12 pm »

As a resident of near north Tulsa, I'll second that.  The state of the Zen Zel Plaza gas station is such that I avoid even gasing up my lawnmower there.  I'd love to see a QT at Pine & LL Tisdale.

I had not thought about Pine and LL Tisdale but that would be a great spot.  I have often wondered why QT has hardly any stores in north Tulsa.  Has there ever been any explanation from them for this?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #147 on: March 15, 2012, 03:10:32 pm »

I had not thought about Pine and LL Tisdale but that would be a great spot.  I have often wondered why QT has hardly any stores in north Tulsa.  Has there ever been any explanation from them for this?

The same reason most other chains aren’t nuts about serving north Tulsa- crime rates and fear of loss.  Let’s face it, the crime maps and reports in the news don’t paint a great picture.  You also won’t find a QT store at 61st & Peoria and they are a little more scarce in rougher parts of east Tulsa.

Before you call me an ignorant hater, I personally don’t fear north Tulsa and even regularly bicycle through the area, out Edison and in Cincinnati from Sperry.

rdj
City Father

« Reply #148 on: March 16, 2012, 02:44:16 pm »

Chet himself told me they wouldn't open a store in N Tulsa due to the concerns with shrink and employee safety.  I might find that to be somewhat unfounded at Pine & Tisdale, but it's hard to argue with the overall demographics.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #149 on: March 16, 2012, 09:35:58 pm »

Chet himself told me they wouldn't open a store in N Tulsa due to the concerns with shrink and employee safety.  I might find that to be somewhat unfounded at Pine & Tisdale, but it's hard to argue with the overall demographics.

COT should require QT to put stores in North Tulsa as a gesture of good faith.

Well, maybe not.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org