A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:04:41 am
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bartlesville - That town to the north.  (Read 194415 times)
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #135 on: August 30, 2016, 11:50:22 am »

In other news, the ground breaking for the new C.J. "Pete" Silas Boys and Girls club took place last week. They already have 90% of the $7M goal. Kudos to them. This should be really nice for all the kids that utilize it.

Expected to open in time for the 2017-2018 school year (ie next school year).

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #136 on: August 30, 2016, 11:55:21 am »

From the Ross Group Facebook page. It includes interiors of the two retail tenants as well. They indicate there are still 7 units available.

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #137 on: September 09, 2016, 11:39:57 am »

Well Phase one appears to be commencing soon. Planned open for holidays 2017 (a shade over a year). It's the same stuff every big city/subburb has been getting over the last decade or so. TJ Maxx anchoring with Ross, Rack Room Shoes, Ulta, Petco & Maurice's all confirmed to lease. It looks like they have a few smaller spaces uncalled for, and all the out parcels are still unclaimed at this point. Honestly they only thing mentioned so far that my family will likely visit is Ulta. Apparently (wife conveying to me) there is a rather limited selection for cosmetics in Bartlesville. This should help I assume.

There were rumors of an Academy Sports coming. The plans I saw for it actually had it located in what is called Phase II in the plan below. That is what had people particularly excited about this one. Here's hoping I guess.

It will be located right next to Lowe's, which when constructed was in the flood plain. But creative engineering has eliminated the threat. There is a huge traffic count at this intersection as it is a main thoroughfare to get downtown from the east side and south of town. Lowe's is ALWAYS busy even more so when compared to other stores I have been to in Tulsa and Owasso.

This was the original master plan I had seen including park space, apartments, pond and Phase II.

For some perspective, relationship to downtown.

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #138 on: September 15, 2016, 05:56:55 am »

So I know from comments on this forum that at least a few of you are aware that local food celeb Ree Drummond aka The Pioneer Woman is opening up a Mercantile in Pawhuska (I know this is not Bartlesville but there is a tie in later). Apparently the tentative opening date has been pushed back to mid-October. But that it really shouldn't be pushed back any further. We'll see I guess.

In related news, apparently Ms. Drummond has her eyes on some other projects as well. She recently purchased an old small office complex at the north east corner of Highway 75 and Price Road in Bartlesville. Rumor is that she will be tearing them down (they have recently been hastily vacated) to construct a new cafe/bakery concept that is potentially going to be rolled out in several other Northeast Oklahoma cities/towns. Hints that she is partnering with a local coffee producer.

Also rumbling that she has purchased another really old building in Pawhuska with plans for a steak house.

We shall see. I figure opening dates are being set sometime around Summer of 2020 if past is precedent.

In other news, ConocoPhillips just laid off 90 more people as part of it's previously announced company wide layoffs. It kind of stinks for all involved, but I understand there was probably some fat to be shed anyway. The sad thing is, those people being let go won't be able to find another job in Bartlesville as nothing comes close to paying the inflated salaries they offer. They sure pay people a lot to know how to do one thing.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 05:59:56 am by erfalf » Logged

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #139 on: September 15, 2016, 07:07:46 am »

So I know from comments on this forum that at least a few of you are aware that local food celeb Ree Drummond aka The Pioneer Woman is opening up a Mercantile in Pawhuska (I know this is not Bartlesville but there is a tie in later). Apparently the tentative opening date has been pushed back to mid-October. But that it really shouldn't be pushed back any further. We'll see I guess.

We drive by there on a comparatively frequent basis to go see the Tallgrass Prairie.  Have been watching the "progress" in that old building for a couple years now.  Soooo slow!!  For all the hype and wait it had better be pretty darn good food!!  We have friends literally from CA to NC and north to south who watch her show and are really excited about the place....not sure why, since most will never come here to visit.  They have asked us if we are near the place.... the Left and right coasters have the "flyover" imprint and are amazed when we tell them Oklahoma really isn't just 37 miles wide.... But yeah, we are a very reasonable drive away from the prairie - as is anyone in Tulsa!  And Bartlesville is even closer!!

And there is also Woolaroc!!  A whole other destination event!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #140 on: September 15, 2016, 07:50:44 am »

I had business up in B’Ville on Tuesday which brought me through downtown.  I’m very impressed with how vibrant the DT area is along FP Blvd. during daytime hours.  Are there quite a few smaller offices in the old buildings which is why I’m seeing so many cars parked in front of the buildings?  It seemed inconceivable that was all retail traffic at 10am and too early for the lunch crowd.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #141 on: September 15, 2016, 08:22:43 am »

I had business up in B’Ville on Tuesday which brought me through downtown.  I’m very impressed with how vibrant the DT area is along FP Blvd. during daytime hours.  Are there quite a few smaller offices in the old buildings which is why I’m seeing so many cars parked in front of the buildings?  It seemed inconceivable that was all retail traffic at 10am and too early for the lunch crowd.

Supposed to be one hour parking. I'm not sure what keeps the parking that full. Shops are barely open at 10:00. And it is really mostly retail/restaurant along Frank Phillips. Most of the offices (that aren't COP) are centered around 5th & Johnstone and 4th and Dewey with dedicated parking for all. Although there are a few buildings along Frank Phillips that would be considered office (open at 8 or 9). Knightsbridge, Kane Cattle Co., ITIO, Arvest, Benefits something arather, and a few insurance agents all office on that strip, mostly upstairs in the commercial buildings. Only a couple are residential. I imagine most of the parking on the west end are COP employees gaming the system. The block between Keeler & Johnstone is almost always the busiest street parking area of downtown.

It is nice that nearly every storefront facing Frank Phillips is occupied at any given time. Rarely are there vacancies (except for the ugly former Voice of the Martyrs HQ that is perpetually vacant). If we could just rid ourselves of the pay day loan shops.

And yes, night time is pretty dead. Consider the demographics though. It's not surprising. But not all that disappointing to me either. The restaurants stay busy at night, which is pretty similar to most urban areas. Do many retail shops stay open past six in downtown Tulsa?

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #142 on: September 16, 2016, 06:29:09 am »

So your vary own Tulsa World has corrected me. Looks like a Halloween opening at the Mercantile.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #143 on: September 16, 2016, 08:17:26 am »

So your vary own Tulsa World has corrected me. Looks like a Halloween opening at the Mercantile.

I am expecting some good food from the place.   She copies a lot of recipes from other places, but she does put them together well on the show.  If she sticks with the way she works on the show, it should be worth the trip.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/the-mercantile/

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #144 on: October 08, 2016, 08:45:28 am »

Do let me know. I expect to visit soon as my family passes through there every 5 or 6 weeks or so. As often as we go I'm always surprised we never stop at Bad Brads any more than we do. Except we are often going through on Sunday so that may be part of it.

Rumor (not really so much any more) is that she is building a new concept at Highway 75 and Price Road on the south side of Bartlesville. Heard several others were in the works around Tulsa as well of the same concept (bakery/cafe type). I've heard Bixby and Broken Arrow mentioned. My guess is, this gets off the ground infinitely faster than the Mercantile as it will be new construction. They have already purchased the land, moved the old tenants out of the old office building that was there in preparation to demolish it. These two buildings being town down is a net gain for the city (even if a new one wasn't going to be constructed).
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 08:50:20 am by erfalf » Logged

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #145 on: October 10, 2016, 09:17:37 am »

Do let me know. I expect to visit soon as my family passes through there every 5 or 6 weeks or so. As often as we go I'm always surprised we never stop at Bad Brads any more than we do. Except we are often going through on Sunday so that may be part of it.

Rumor (not really so much any more) is that she is building a new concept at Highway 75 and Price Road on the south side of Bartlesville. Heard several others were in the works around Tulsa as well of the same concept (bakery/cafe type). I've heard Bixby and Broken Arrow mentioned. My guess is, this gets off the ground infinitely faster than the Mercantile as it will be new construction. They have already purchased the land, moved the old tenants out of the old office building that was there in preparation to demolish it. These two buildings being town down is a net gain for the city (even if a new one wasn't going to be constructed).

Will let you know if they ever do open it....  Have only been through town 4 or 5 times this year.  Usually we go by about once a month - other stuff has interfered.

We used to go to Bad Brad's quite a bit, since our traffic pattern usually put us there on Sat.  Haven't been in a couple years now - just got kinda boring....nothing exceptional about it - just pretty good food - and Smokies Hickory House in Broken Arrow has kinda filled the barbeque void for us.  Reading this again, it sounds like we cover a lot of ground - I guess we do.  Restless feet syndrome.

I did get some really good pictures of bison a couple weeks ago at the Prairie, though, so there is that....

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #146 on: March 02, 2017, 12:37:04 pm »

Well, it's been a while. Got the nice little "it's been at least 120 days" warning and everything.

Gonna keep this short this time.

Eastland Shopping Center is a 1950s/60s open air shopping center with a handful of big box shops and small retail mixed in. With the construction of Washington Park Mall to the south in the late 80's it has fallen on hard times. It continued recently with the departure of Atwoods to a new store on the south end of town. Word is now however that Chick-fil-A will be constructing a new store in the parking lot close to HW 75, and that Hobby Lobby has shown an interest in moving from the back of the shopping center up to where Atwoods was. This is a much bigger space than Hobby Lobby currently occupies. Also word that the owners are planning on updating the whole center. It's located at the busiest section of Highway 75 in the city. Seems like something could work there. But most of the area was developed decades ago, so things like K-Mart, Stage (also closing shortly), and Twin Screen Theaters (now a church) are out of favor now a days. My dream is for them to close K-Mart (a foregone conclusion in my mind) and for Reasor's to open it's first store in Bartlesville. They would kill it. I understand from some local Wal-Mart employees that the store in Bartlesville is the highest performing one in the state. It makes sense, there is no competition for literally 50 miles in any direction. Here's hoping I guess.

Speaking of that stretch of HW 75, one direction is currently torn down to replace the bridge. Traffic was pretty snarly before, it's fantastic now (sarc), and appears to be under construction FOREVER! I now can sympathize on a local level with Tulsa construction, even if it is on a much smaller scale.

The 2 Braum's locations in town look like they may be converting to the "new format" sometime soon, with the one on Adams/75 slated to be demolished soon. Also welcome in my mind, as a family with small kids that buys milk ONLY from Braum's.

The Johnstone Paviliion is completed, outside of some new sidewalks and paths. It at the very least offers a much better, inviting structure to be the face of the park, no matter how disjointed it really is. Before it was just an empty lot where a string of dilapidated houses and the original Right Way Hotel was.

I've also got wind that the football stadium is going to be improved upon. They have already started work on several project in the area including new track surfacing and new tennis complex. All I can say is it is about time.

Downtown wise not much significant is going on. The police fire station complex is all but complete with moving in slated for this month for both. Businesses keep opening at a steady pace. Store fronts are renovated nicely. All of these while small and not very spectacular are leading to a much more cohesive area. For example, a chocolate shop/gelato store (Omega) has opened on Frank Phillips. It is now on the same block as 3 restaurants that are open in the evenings. I was speaking with the workers there and they were relating to me how busy it can get around supper time. Very good to here.

Considering all the head chopping going on at a certain O&G company, it's pretty impressive that any progress has been made.

Oh, and hosting the GAC Conference Championship again this year. March 2-5 @ Bruin Fieldhouse.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #147 on: March 02, 2017, 12:50:37 pm »

Guess we are gonna have to drive through B'ville soon...lots of stuff going on.

Braum's - big favorite, too!  Highland is also very good, and is available as Great Value at Wally World - check the plant number on the Highland carton, then see if same on GV...if so, you get Highland.  Still usually a little higher than Braum's around here...

saintnicster
« Reply #148 on: March 02, 2017, 01:28:42 pm »

Eastland Shopping Center is a 1950s/60s open air shopping center with a handful of big box shops and small retail mixed in. With the construction of Washington Park Mall to the south in the late 80's it has fallen on hard times. It continued recently with the departure of Atwoods to a new store on the south end of town. Word is now however that Chick-fil-A will be constructing a new store in the parking lot close to HW 75, and that Hobby Lobby has shown an interest in moving from the back of the shopping center up to where Atwoods was. This is a much bigger space than Hobby Lobby currently occupies. Also word that the owners are planning on updating the whole center. It's located at the busiest section of Highway 75 in the city. Seems like something could work there. But most of the area was developed decades ago, so things like K-Mart, Stage (also closing shortly), and Twin Screen Theaters (now a church) are out of favor now a days. My dream is for them to close K-Mart (a foregone conclusion in my mind) and for Reasor's to open it's first store in Bartlesville. They would kill it. I understand from some local Wal-Mart employees that the store in Bartlesville is the highest performing one in the state. It makes sense, there is no competition for literally 50 miles in any direction. Here's hoping I guess.

Noticed Tuesday or Wednesday that they were tearing down some stuff in this area.   A lower jut-out space connected to the old Atwoods.

Speaking of that stretch of HW 75, one direction is currently torn down to replace the bridge. Traffic was pretty snarly before, it's fantastic now (sarc), and appears to be under construction FOREVER! I now can sympathize on a local level with Tulsa construction, even if it is on a much smaller scale.
  It's been under active construction for like 2 weeks now, maybe 3? Gov't page is showing 180 days http://www.cityofbartlesville.org/city-government/communicationsmedia-relations/news-announcements/
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #149 on: March 02, 2017, 03:09:07 pm »

I won't have near as much reason now to drive through B'Ville now that Oklahoma retailers offer New Belgium Brewery products (Fat Tire and others).  However, it will be difficult to stay away from Murphy's.  My doctor probably wishes I would forever.   Cool

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org