A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:31:26 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Federal Government Shutdown Thread  (Read 51275 times)
we vs us
City Father

« on: April 08, 2011, 07:04:13 am »

So unless something unexpected happens, at midnight tonight the government will cease all non essential functioning and furlough approximately 800k workers until such time as a new funding bill can be passed.

Boehner, Reid, and Obama have been holding negotiation sessions at the White House for the last three nights, and sentiment about "how it's going" seems to see-saw quite a bit, though at this point the sentiment seems to be strongly trending towards a shutdown. 

The Democrats had originally agreed to $33billion in cuts to the operating budget, which was what the Republicans had demanded.  After they supposedly reached agreement, however, the Republicans nearly doubled their demands, to $61billion in cuts.  As I read the news, now, however, the actual dollar figure isn't so much in dispute any more so much as the partisan riders the Republicans are insisting on (one is to totally wipe out federal dollars for abortions -- which will incidentally defund Planned Parenthood);

Worth noting:  this is NOT about Ryan's proposed spending bill.  This shutdown will be ONLY about funding for this fiscal year, which, incidentally, is already half-over (making the cuts more and more drastic as time goes on).
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 07:32:55 am »

So unless something unexpected happens, at midnight tonight the government will cease all non essential functioning and furlough approximately 800k workers until such time as a new funding bill can be passed.

Boehner, Reid, and Obama have been holding negotiation sessions at the White House for the last three nights, and sentiment about "how it's going" seems to see-saw quite a bit, though at this point the sentiment seems to be strongly trending towards a shutdown. 

The Democrats had originally agreed to $33billion in cuts to the operating budget, which was what the Republicans had demanded.  After they supposedly reached agreement, however, the Republicans nearly doubled their demands, to $61billion in cuts.  As I read the news, now, however, the actual dollar figure isn't so much in dispute any more so much as the partisan riders the Republicans are insisting on (one is to totally wipe out federal dollars for abortions -- which will incidentally defund Planned Parenthood);

Worth noting:  this is NOT about Ryan's proposed spending bill.  This shutdown will be ONLY about funding for this fiscal year, which, incidentally, is already half-over (making the cuts more and more drastic as time goes on).

Corrections:
The republicans produced a bill with 61 billion in cuts, but wanted more. 
The democrats would only verbally agree to around 33 billion on the cuts in that bill, but drafted nothing.
The democrats were invited to introduce their own bill, and opted not to.
The republicans passed their bill in the house, though many wanted more cuts.
The bill stalled in the senate numerous times because the democrats would not vote on it and allow it to go to committee.
Howard Dean, Harry Reid, and Chuck Schumer all expressed a desire for the government to shut down so that they could use it politically going into the next election just as Clinton did.
This week the republicans invited Harry Reid again to introduce a bill that he would be willing to vote on, and the answer was no.

The 61 billion in cuts are useless.  We need closer to a trillion now.  Last month we spent 8X what we took in in revenue. 

They are arguing over how to arrange the deck chairs as the Titanic sinks. 

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 08:17:07 am »

In actuality, the number of bills out there and who they're offered by is immaterial.  They've been negotiating this one for weeks now, so they've essentially settled on a framework and ground rules and are now going around about the details.  The negotiation is between the bill passed in the house (which is why Boehner is there) and the Senate's version (which is why Reid is there).  This is reconciliation between two bills and the two houses, not between Ds and Rs in one body or another. 

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 09:12:25 am »

Howard Dean, Harry Reid, and Chuck Schumer all expressed a desire for the government to shut down so that they could use it politically going into the next election just as Clinton did.

No... republicans are refusing to compromise. When democrats were in charge of the House and Bush was president, the democrats compromised and came to agreements.

The current Congressional republicans simply refuse to compromise and then act as if the democrats are at 100% at fault. This problem is all in Congress.

The American people are not going to blame a non-elected DNC official (Dean) or a Senator (Reid) or a minority party Congressmen (Schumer). They are smart enough to assign blame to a Congress led by unyeilding republicans.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 09:13:03 am »

In actuality, the number of bills out there and who they're offered by is immaterial.  They've been negotiating this one for weeks now, so they've essentially settled on a framework and ground rules and are now going around about the details.  The negotiation is between the bill passed in the house (which is why Boehner is there) and the Senate's version (which is why Reid is there).  This is reconciliation between two bills and the two houses, not between Ds and Rs in one body or another. 

But there is only one bill.  

This is like writing your term paper the night before.

I'm sure it will be outstanding!

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 09:20:42 am »

No... republicans are refusing to compromise. When democrats were in charge of the House and Bush was president, the democrats compromised and came to agreements.

The current Congressional republicans simply refuse to compromise and then act as if the democrats are at 100% at fault. This problem is all in Congress.

The American people are not going to blame a non-elected DNC official (Dean) or a Senator (Reid) or a minority party Congressmen (Schumer). They are smart enough to assign blame to a Congress led by unyeilding republicans.

+1
Great point.  That's where the leadership of a president is necessary to bring diverse points of view together and moderate a solution. 

Today President Obama leaves for a family get-a-way to Colonial Williamsburg.  The president and his family will enjoy all of the national monuments and attractions.  The FAA has set up a no-fly zone over Williamsburg for the duration of the first family's trip.

There is some buzz that he may postpone his trip if the government shuts down, but I think that is unlikely.  Though the shutdown will force the closing of many of the federally run museums and attractions that the first family plans to visit, I'm sure arrangements will be made for those to be considered essential services for the duration of the president's trip.

Should be relaxing after all this budget-bla-did-de-bla stuff!

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 09:25:24 am »

I wonder if the President and Messrs. Reid & Boehner hung out around the kegerator

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 09:28:51 am »

I wonder if the President and Messrs. Reid & Boehner hung out around the kegerator

I so-knew he had one of those installed in the OO!

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 09:30:32 am »

I so-knew he had one of those installed in the OO!

Can't blame him on that one.  Nothing brings people better together than beer.  Only problem is I'd have to figure out how to get Marshall's smuggled in.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 09:41:58 am »

+1
Great point.  That's where the leadership of a president is necessary to bring diverse points of view together and moderate a solution. 

Where do you think the meetings between Boehner and Reid have been held? In the White House.

Obama has been working on this issue with republicans and democrats round the clock. He is trying to avert a shutdown.

The problem is that congressional republicans can't back down because if they do, the Tea Party fringe of their party will revolt. They are afraid to compromise.

Boehner has led them down a path with only two exits...shut down the government and be blamed or piss off the Tea Party fringe and be opposed in the next primary. Now that's leadership. 

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 09:44:37 am »

Looks to me like both sides are saying "why can't you be reasonable and do it my way?"

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 09:54:34 am »

Where do you think the meetings between Boehner and Reid have been held? In the White House.

Obama has been working on this issue with republicans and democrats round the clock. He is trying to avert a shutdown.

The problem is that congressional republicans can't back down because if they do, the Tea Party fringe of their party will revolt. They are afraid to compromise.

Boehner has led them down a path with only two exits...shut down the government and be blamed or piss off the Tea Party fringe and be opposed in the next primary. Now that's leadership. 

I can see why Boehner is sticking to his guns on some of the measures in the bill.  Propably looking at the polling. The Tea Party fringe seems to have some support among the general public.

Forty-six percent (46%) of U.S. voters say the Tea Party movement is good for the country, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey. Thirty-one percent (31%) disagree and say it’s bad for the country. Another 13% say it’s neither.

Either way, it doesn't really matter.  The cuts are too small and too late to make much of a difference.

I think that both the Repubs and Dems backed down from their campaign pledges to cut spending by xx%. 

Epic Fail!

joiei
City Father

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 09:57:04 am »

+1

Today President Obama leaves for a family get-a-way to Colonial Williamsburg.  The president and his family will enjoy all of the national monuments and attractions.  The FAA has set up a no-fly zone over Williamsburg for the duration of the first family's trip.

There is some buzz that he may postpone his trip if the government shuts down, but I think that is unlikely.  Though the shutdown will force the closing of many of the federally run museums and attractions that the first family plans to visit, I'm sure arrangements will be made for those to be considered essential services for the duration of the president's trip.

Should be relaxing after all this budget-bla-did-de-bla stuff!

Looks like the plans are changing according to Fox.

President Obama has once again changed his travel schedule because of last-minute Washington deal-making.

The president postponed a trip to Indiana Friday, and a short weekend vacation to Williamsburg, Virginia is also in limbo while he hammers out details on the budget and tries to avoid the government closing down.  The official White House schedule has the trip as "still TBD."

Having to adjust, cancel or postpone is nothing new for this president -- whether it's health care, a tax deal or looming government shutdown, he's had to move around his travel and vacation time several times before.

Last December, the president had to delay his yearly vacation to Hawaii because he was finishing up the tax deal, which extended Bush-era tax rates for both the middle class and the wealthiest Americans.

And then last year Obama twice had to cancel two major overseas trips to Indonesia first because of the health care debate and later due to the BP oil spill.

The president did travel to Philadelphia Wednesday to discuss energy and attend a New York fundraiser, but called lawmakers back to the White House for a late meeting on the budget when he returned.

http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2011/04/08/obama-trip-and-vacation-plans-fluxagain

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 09:58:54 am »

Looks like the plans are changing according to Fox.

President Obama has once again changed his travel schedule because of last-minute Washington deal-making.

It truly sucks to be President.  I sure wouldn't want to have my personal vacation schedule interrupted by work.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 10:07:58 am »

Forty-six percent (46%) of U.S. voters say the Tea Party movement is good for the country, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey. Thirty-one percent (31%) disagree and say it’s bad for the country. Another 13% say it’s neither.

Gallup Poll says 60% of Americans want a compromise and not a shutdown.

Rasmussen is a republican polling source. They worded their question oddly.

"Would you rather have Congress avoid a government shutdown by authorizing spending at the same levels as last year or would you rather have a partial government shutdown until Democrats and Republicans can agree on what spending to cut?"

No wonder they got those results.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org