A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:33:17 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fallin cuts top tax rate, says state revenue growth is enough.  (Read 112830 times)
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 12:34:04 pm »

Yeah, we should go back to the pre-Regan tax structure.  That would make this country great! 

Bahahahahah!

Are you really so challenged that you couldn't grasp what I was talking about from the rest of my post?

Bahahahahaha!

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 05:32:42 pm »

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 07:05:42 am »

Excellent post to revisit in a year!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 09:10:45 am »

Excellent post to revisit in a year!

Thanks.  Not reading local news?
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 03:11:18 pm »

Fallin is doing great, that is exactly what's needed to lure companies and people to Oklahoma. I understand Mary Fallin's end goal is to get rid of the state income tax and beat Texas in attracting new business. Cutting taxes increases state money because the economy grows. I'm a strong supporter of Mary Fallin she making Oklahoma's economy one of the best in the nation. When/if Mary Fallin can get rid of the state income tax Oklahoma will join 7 other states that have no income tax.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2012, 03:17:50 pm »

Just imagine how much it could be cut if we wiped out government waste or how much better our services could be if we wiped out government waste. Either way you want to look at it eliminating the waste should be priority 1. Of course you, I and the oak trees know that is never going to happen in our lifetimes.
What about doing BOTH? Cutting waste and  cutting taxes? Tax cuts do not cut gov't income for long, they spur the economy and growth  and increase gov't income by an expanding economy making more jobs and thus more people are working &  paying taxes. Raising taxes is what kills the economy & kills  jobs shrinking the economy resulting in less gov't money flowing in forcing the state to raise taxes even more to make up for the income loss and you end up with a cycle of a shrinking economy and high unemployment like in Michigan and the national economy under Obama. If Obama gets his way by 2014 the taxes in the USA for companies will be around 45%, almost double of Canada's rate. No company will want to grow, expand or hire in the USA under those taxes. Obama's taxes for cap gains and investment income is a formulia for a national depression.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 03:23:15 pm by sauerkraut » Logged

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2012, 03:19:42 pm »

What about doing BOTH? Cutting waste and  cutting taxes? Tax cuts do not cut gov't income for long, they spur the economy and growth  and increase gov't income by an expanding economy making more jobs and thus more people are working &  paying taxes. Raising taxes is what kills the economy & kills  jobs shrinking the economy resulting in less gov't money flowing in forcing the state to raise taxes more to make up for the loss and you end up with a cycle of a shrinking economy and high unemployment like in Michigan and the national economy uder Obama.

Haha, those Bush tax cuts REALLY helped the economy in the long run.  All tax cuts do, as has been proven time and again, is raise debt.

Do I think we need to be taxed to death?  Surely not, but not everyone has skin in the game right now.

Fallin will bankrupt the state without having some offsets.  You thought the budget was bad now....

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2012, 03:23:44 pm »

Hmmm. For 2011, the state of Texas collected $1501.17 per resident. The state of Oklahoma collected $1347.22.

So we need to lower taxes to..be competitive with Texas? What?

Facts, they're such bitches.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2012, 03:30:10 pm »

Hmmm. For 2011, the state of Texas collected $1501.17 per resident. The state of Oklahoma collected $1347.22.

So we need to lower taxes to..be competitive with Texas? What?

Facts, they're such bitches.

Texas offsets it's 'no income tax' with higher property/ad valor em taxes.  Even if you rent you still pay because your landlord factors all that in.  I know, I lived there.  I know stinky cabbage did too...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2012, 03:33:20 pm »

History shows otherwise. Mary Fallin is doing an outstanding job. That's why Oklahoma has had such low unemployment rates while other states have 10% unemployment. Since Fallin came to power Oklahoma's economy did very well and the jobless rates kept dropping. Jimmy Carter had the national economy in shambles, Ronald Reagan came to power in 1980 and reversed Jimmy Carter's economy by cutting taxes and the economy turned around and the gov't got more income not less income because the economy grew & expanded making more jobs to...  Raising taxes in a bad economy makes things worse. Mary Fallin is attracting companies in from other states and those new companys will hire workers who will be paying taxes. A cycle of a booming economy starts.. When Henery was in office Oklahoma's unemployment was over 7% or there abouts.

sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2012, 03:40:04 pm »

Texas offsets it's 'no income tax' with higher property/ad valor em taxes.  Even if you rent you still pay because your landlord factors all that in.  I know, I lived there.  I know stinky cabbage did too...
Rents in Texas are not bad, the Dallas/FortWorth area where I lived had a over build of apartments keeping rents low, prop taxes in Texas are higher than Oklahoma  but there is no income tax or tax on food in Texas.... Texas attracts many companies and jobs to the state because it has no income tax.. Don't forget Texas is not the only state with no income tax, South Dakota, Wyoming, FL, Nevada, Washington and a few others have no income tax and they are all doing well, soon Oklahoma may joint the list of no-income tax states. I don't know what the prop taxes rates are in other states with no income tax. Most states do not tax food either.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2012, 03:41:29 pm »

History shows otherwise. Mary Fallin is doing an outstanding job. That's why Oklahoma has had such low unemployment rates while other states have 10% unemployment. Since Fallin came to power Oklahoma's economy did very well and the jobless rates kept dropping. Jimmy Carter had the national economy in shambles, Ronald Reagan came to power in 1980 and reversed Jimmy Carter's economy by cutting taxes and the economy turned around and the gov't got more income not less income because the economy grew & expanded making more jobs to...  Raising taxes in a bad economy makes things worse. Mary Fallin is attracting companies in from other states and those new companys will hire workers who will be paying taxes. A cycle of a booming economy starts.. When Henery was in office Oklahoma's unemployment was over 7% or there abouts.

Henry's performance until the national recession was far better than Fallin's.  As matter of fact, the UE rate in OK his first two years in office was between 3 and 4 percent.  He never had a UE rate over 6 until 2009.  The previous administration's spend like a drunk sailor method and no regulation on banking put this state's economy in the crapper.  The UE rate now has just fallen to 6; but I'm guessing that's not due to new businesses.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2012, 03:42:52 pm »

What about doing BOTH? Cutting waste and  cutting taxes? Tax cuts do not cut gov't income for long, they spur the economy and growth  and increase gov't income by an expanding economy making more jobs and thus more people are working &  paying taxes. Raising taxes is what kills the economy & kills  jobs shrinking the economy resulting in less gov't money flowing in forcing the state to raise taxes more to make up for the loss and you end up with a cycle of a shrinking economy and high unemployment like in Michigan and the national economy uder Obama.

Really, you should focus on posting things you know something about instead of repeating what someone has told you that seems to make sense. Govt. Income?? Florida and Nevada doing well?? Really?

Texas makes up for its lack of income tax with other taxes. Even if we had zero income tax it most likely will have no effect in luring people and businesses to the state. Note: We don't have the Gulf of Mexico and a fast growing population. We don't have the concentration of large oil companies, the intercoastal waterway, Austin, Waco, Houston, Dallas, Ft.Worth, an ex-president, electoral votes and the sheer size advantages of Texas.

Fallin also wants to cut tax incentives to many areas of interest to Oklahomans including movie making, and rehabilitating historic buildings in order to pay for zero income tax. The result has been an immediate decrease in activity for both areas, which means of course, less business activity for everyone. So, in order to get your zero income tax that you covet, the first result has been losing business and development in the state. I got news for you pal. Eliminate all OK taxes, all government waste and you still won't get people to move here. Our quality of poor employment opportunities and the resulting general reduced quality of life here just won't make up for getting a couple thousand dollars a year in tax savings.

You seem to know about running paths and drive-in movie theaters. Stick to what you know.

onward...through the fog
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2012, 04:36:18 pm »

Oklahoma has somewhat lower rates than our neighbors on many taxes.  The problem is that we tax almost everything.  Reminds me of the Beatles song about the Taxman.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2012, 04:46:44 pm »

Oklahoma has somewhat lower rates than our neighbors on many taxes.  The problem is that we tax almost everything.

Since I don't have figures at hand for county/local tax collections all I can say is that at least as far as state-levied taxes go we're better off than Texans, even with more stuff being taxed.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org