A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:11:38 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5320, Well intentioned but will it do anything?  (Read 13668 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« on: February 14, 2011, 04:13:59 pm »

http://www.ktul.com/Global/story.asp?S=14027742&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Four numbers are causing a lot of speculation across the state.

It's the "5320" campaign.

But what is the message behind the numbers?

Well we finally have the answer.

The 5320 launch event took place this morning in Oklahoma City.

Gov. Mary Fallin, with the help of State Health Commissioner Dr. Terry Cline and other notable state leaders, discussed the need for bold action to improve Oklahoma's poor health statistics.

"The lives of 5,320 men and women could be saved each year if Oklahoma simply met the national average for health measures," said Fallin. "The costs we pay in lives and the hundreds of millions of dollars our families and businesses pay in medical bills is a tragedy that continues to hold our state back. Oklahoma has the tools it needs to become a healthier, more prosperous state. It's time to start using them and to empower our citizens to live healthier lives where they live, work and learn."

Oklahoma currently ranks 46th among all states in major health status categories.

"Now that people know the '5,320' number and what it means, we hope they'll be just as interested in the next phase of the campaign called Shape Your Future," said Tracey Strader, executive director of the Tobacco Settlement Endowment Trust .

The second step of the campaign, focuses on enacting policies to improve community, business and school health

Recommendations include:

-Restoring the rights of local communities to pass tobacco use prevention policies that are stronger than state law

-Assuring health education is taught in all state public schools in sixth, seventh or eighth grade

-Prohibiting the use of a hand-held electronic device while driving for all drivers under 18 years of age

The third step of the campaign highlights strategies to improve health outcomes for Oklahoma's children.

ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 05:00:37 pm »

Ooooooohhhhh......so that's what these numbers mean.

I think it could work, it makes people aware.
inteller
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 06:05:31 pm »

it is called natural selection, stop trying to thwart it.  Every time I see a fat okie I am inspired to work out so I don't end up like one of them.  Please don't take my inspiration away.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 06:09:36 pm »

I would prefer to:
Prohibit the use of a hand-held electronic device while driving for all drivers.

As much as I abhor smoking, letting every locality set whatever strict rules they want would be confusing.  County option is as local as I would want to go.  What's next?  Back to no beer on one side of the street but OK on the other?

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 06:34:39 pm »

I think the campaign is a total waste of money.

The idea came from a high-priced PR firm that does almost exclusively partisan republican campaigns. They were reportedly paid over six figures for the idea, then another ten percent commission on all ad buys. Just google Tim Berney and VI marketing (Visual Image).

This campaign was just a way for politicians to pay back their friends by giving them business.

Power is nothing till you use it.
inteller
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 07:57:55 pm »

i'm concerned my tax dollars went to spend on billboards and TV ad placement.  Did they?  I dunno, this campaign was so obscure and nebulous no one will ever care to know.  BTW, this was the biggest failure of viral marketing I've ever seen.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 08:16:05 pm »

I'm a proud user of cell phones while driving since 1996 with no tickets or accidents.  Go me!

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 09:07:38 pm »

Sounds a lot in concept like "Just say no".  All talk.  No substance.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
inteller
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 09:55:36 pm »

if they want to motivate okies, I say show tub girl on TV....and say THIS IS YOU.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 08:52:51 am »

I think the campaign is a total waste of money.

The idea came from a high-priced PR firm that does almost exclusively partisan republican campaigns. They were reportedly paid over six figures for the idea, then another ten percent commission on all ad buys. Just google Tim Berney and VI marketing (Visual Image).

This campaign was just a way for politicians to pay back their friends by giving them business.

I decoded the number a couple of weeks ago and when I inquired around I heard that this was all a big push to promote the announcement and unlike "just say no," there is little-to-no continuing program. Posters and radio ads I get, but they did things like print coasters and sent them to radio stations. Who does that reach? Are they supposed to rub them on the microphone?
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 09:11:16 am »

I decoded the number a couple of weeks ago and when I inquired around I heard that this was all a big push to promote the announcement and unlike "just say no," there is little-to-no continuing program. Posters and radio ads I get, but they did things like print coasters and sent them to radio stations. Who does that reach? Are they supposed to rub them on the microphone?

Yup, that sounds about right.  Too bad.

It's be great to get a big push toward a healthier populous.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 10:39:13 am »

I'm a proud user of cell phones while driving since 1996 with no tickets or accidents.  Go me!

Me too.  I am also known to chew gum and walk.  I live on the edge!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 10:43:01 am »

That is about the stupidest campaign I have ever witnessed.  It's like something a college kid would conjurer up the night before a presentation after 3 Redbulls and bong hit!

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 11:21:29 am »

There are a lot of "drunk drivers" that never get caught or have an accident too.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 01:59:40 pm »

There are a lot of "drunk drivers" that never get caught or have an accident too.

That's why it's even more important that people know the dangers of using cell phones while driving after drinking.  We should probably work up a series of campaigns illustrating the dangers of mixing the three.

If you throw in juggling, you've really got a dangerous situation!  Shocked

Isn't there already a "driving while distracted" designation and fine?  Why must we continue to complicate the law?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org