A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:43:50 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hyatt (old Crowne Plaza) downtown paints over murals  (Read 12307 times)
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« on: December 22, 2010, 02:59:52 pm »

The Hyatt is in the process of painting all the Crowne Plaza's red walls white.  (Ugh.  White?  Really?)  The saddest part is that they just painted over William the Artist's awesome collection of Mayfest murals.   Angry  I really loved walking by those on a regular basis.  We need more public art, not less, and I thought it was a cool tradition to keep adding a little "snippet" from each year's poster.   So sad to see those go.  And for what?  Solid white walls.  Somebody definitely flew over the cuckoo's nest on this one.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 03:02:13 pm by PonderInc » Logged
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 03:10:21 pm »

The Hyatt is in the process of painting all the Crowne Plaza's red walls white.  (Ugh.  White?  Really?)  The saddest part is that they just painted over William the Artist's awesome collection of Mayfest murals.   Angry  I really loved walking by those on a regular basis.  We need more public art, not less, and I thought it was a cool tradition to keep adding a little "snippet" from each year's poster.   So sad to see those go.  And for what?  Solid white walls.  Somebody definitely flew over the cuckoo's nest on this one.

The Realtor told them to.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 03:11:52 pm »

There was an agreement to keep the murals but that was with the company who never paid their bills.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 03:30:22 pm »

Seriously?  What was gained by painting them over white?
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 03:50:19 pm »

Boooo.  Bad call. 
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 04:16:04 pm »

I really liked the murals. They were my idea that I took to the Mayfest board and the manager of the hotel. I even got the paint donated for the first one.

Oh well.

Power is nothing till you use it.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 04:30:02 pm »

Jerks.  Cry
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 05:25:07 pm »

Well goodness.  I had been asked whether or not I would be willing to tape off the artwork and I said absolutely.  I would have gone out there and done it for free and done any touch-ups that were needed afterward.  They were going to ask the new owners to let me do that... apparently to no avail.  That was a lot of work I put into those.  Lot of memories too.  And white? A blank white wall?  Heck, even just the red itself looked much better. Thats one thing I have noticed about Tulsa compared to a lot of other cities.  We seem to be afraid of color.  Everything is some variation of taupe or beige.  Booooring and depressing.  I hope they let someone do something with that wall.  Its right smack dab at the end of Main street and needs something to liven it up.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 06:03:22 pm »

Well goodness.  I had been asked whether or not I would be willing to tape off the artwork and I said absolutely.  I would have gone out there and done it for free and done any touch-ups that were needed afterward.  They were going to ask the new owners to let me do that... apparently to no avail.  That was a lot of work I put into those.  Lot of memories too.  And white? A blank white wall?  Heck, even just the red itself looked much better. Thats one thing I have noticed about Tulsa compared to a lot of other cities.  We seem to be afraid of color.  Everything is some variation of taupe or beige.  Booooring and depressing.  I hope they let someone do something with that wall.  Its right smack dab at the end of Main street and needs something to liven it up.

Do you have any photos of the murals that you could post?

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 06:19:31 pm »

Good news. The Kaiser Family Foundation owns the hotel and they are working to repaint the murals and will pay the bills. It was the decision of the Hyatt people to paint over the mural

Once again, thank you to George Kaiser.

Power is nothing till you use it.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 08:40:35 am »

Unfortunately I don't have any photos of the mural from this year.  I was always like,,, Oh, it will be there I will get one later.   Does anyone else have one?  I have this one that is a rendering.  The bird and flowers are the actual painting, but the children are the ones I "cut and pasted" from the last Mayfest poster to show composition to get approval for this years addition.  

« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 08:44:31 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 09:16:27 am »

Thank you

Edit add:

New Hotel, new logo or not,  they should have left the mural there. 

Plain white wall.... how boring and blech!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 10:15:52 am by Red Arrow » Logged

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 10:07:51 am »

It's Hyatt.  What can you expect?

I have spent some time in Hyatt's nationwide the last couple years (enough to get 6 free nights) but they are just another hotel.  Nothing special.  And not particularly imaginative in the art they hang in the hotels, either, so can't really expect much.

Stupid company.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 10:23:23 am »

Thank you

Edit add:

New Hotel, new logo or not,  they should have left the mural there. 

Plain white wall.... how boring and blech!

Great blank canvas for taggers.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 11:13:40 am »

Great blank canvas for taggers.

Also true.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org