A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:52:42 am
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 61   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Global Warming/Climate Change/Global Weirding?  (Read 444975 times)
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #300 on: May 07, 2014, 01:53:36 pm »

What was the reported change I heard on the news last night? A 1.5 percent in Ocean Temperature change since something like 1854.
Wholly Crap! Let me get my panic hat and run.  Roll Eyes

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #301 on: May 07, 2014, 02:07:45 pm »

No, more coal is the answer. Since we're all going to die we might as well do so with the great jobs in Tennessee that it will save us. Coal is a beautiful thing.

I'm telling you though, the answer is earthquakes. My Geology prof always said the two most powerful forces in nature are volcanoes and earthquakes. We don't have volcanoes yet but we have plenty of the quakes here and they're non polluting and impossible to legislate against.

On the contrary.  Global Shaking may just be the next big hobgoblin. Everyone is getting tired of global warming.  Who could get tired of earthquakes?  They are exciting and sexy!

You can legislate against anything.  The president's green energy initiative, if fully implemented, would not decrease global carbon emissions, and the economic impact would be in the Trillions, but there are still plenty of people willing to vote themselves poor to STOP GLOBAL WARMING! 

You can already see the framework being laid here in Oklahoma for the politics of earthquakes.  In the report by the USGA they made this statement:
"While scientists haven't ruled out natural causes for the increase, many researchers suspect the deep injection wells used for the disposal of fracking wastewater could be causing the earthquake activity. Fracking, short for hydraulic fracturing, is a method of extracting oil and gas by cracking open underground rock." Last night on the local news they asked a geologist about this and his answer was "well, no one knows for sure." There will now be millions of dollars in grants available and scientists will line up to develop their theories on how to link stuff we do to earthquakes.  We are an arrogant race, and for many the God complex manifests in a need to take credit for everything.  The first people to jump on this will be the politicians, and they will funnel the money necessary to support the science for whatever motivates the voters stay alarmed. 

Earthquakes, Volcanos, Meteorites, Hole in the Ozone, If we turn the Rainforest into farmland we all die, Global Warming, Global Cooling, Global Comfort, It's all game for politics.  All of it.

. . .and then something real happens beyond our control and we are gone (not IF, but WHEN).  Reality VS illusion. . .Morphius holding two pills. . .you choose. 

Dayquil or Niquil  Grin

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #302 on: May 07, 2014, 02:27:41 pm »

The man-made climate change hoax will prove to be more effective at destroying capitalism than communism ever was ~ Neil Boortz. Just now on Twitter.
This topic is all the buzz.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #303 on: May 07, 2014, 02:35:54 pm »

But I don’t want Global Warming to go away...I make good money off of it!  Grin

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #304 on: May 08, 2014, 01:14:17 pm »

Weirding indeed:

http://arstechnica.com/science/2014/05/increasing-co2-may-threaten-human-nutrition/

Turns out excessive carbon dioxide causes our main food crops to take up less micronutrients from the soil. How nice.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #305 on: May 08, 2014, 03:03:29 pm »

The man-made climate change hoax will prove to be more effective at destroying capitalism than communism ever was ~ Neil Boortz. Just now on Twitter.
This topic is all the buzz.

There's a hoax is being put out there by Bortz and his buddies. The hoax is that climate change doesn't exist.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 03:05:32 pm by swake » Logged
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #306 on: May 08, 2014, 03:09:01 pm »

Here's the hoax

http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/solutions/fight-misinformation/cable-news-coverage-climate-change-science.html
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #307 on: May 08, 2014, 03:10:33 pm »

Weirding indeed:

Turns out excessive carbon dioxide causes our main food crops to take up less micronutrients from the soil. How nice.

When we moved from hunter/gatherer to farmer mode, we started a process that has culminated in our current wheat/corn/soy/rice/sugar diet and all it's complications.

Factor in what has been done to grains on a commercial scale (which is already much worse that what CO2 will do), you have a farming/food catastrophe.  For wheat alone, the results of "modern wheat" (a hexaploid variety) versus a simpler version emmer (or durum, a tetraploid genetic background) has been more volume with dramatically reduced nutrition.  One point - protein, about 10 - 12% for modern wheat, versus 20 - 22% for emmer - means that for the SAME food value, one must eat twice as much or so.  Not to mention the gastro effects of much more gluten in modern wheat....

http://aob.oxfordjournals.org/content/105/7/1211/F1.expansion.html

And this was done under the pretext of potential wheat "improvement".... why not just use emmer?  It's already improved....

http://aob.oxfordjournals.org/content/105/7/1211.full

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #308 on: May 08, 2014, 03:11:40 pm »

Here's the hoax

That's why it is called "Faux News"....if their mouth is open and noise is coming out, you know it's a lie!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #309 on: May 16, 2014, 10:47:26 am »

This is not the first time we humans have affected the Earth's climate in a serious way, it turns out (old news, but I haven't seen it posted here):

http://news.stanford.edu/pr/2008/pr-manvleaf-010709.html

When the Europeans brought smallpox to the Americas, the resultant mass death resulted in such significant reforestation that it cooled the Earth dramatically. Pre-columbian Americans had a habit of burning forests to keep them healthy, so when they mostly died out, a huge carbon sink was created.

I still don't get why we argue over whether or not climate change is caused by humans or not, though. The right-wing thought process on this seems akin to refusing to build a tornado shelter because we don't cause tornadoes.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #310 on: May 16, 2014, 11:07:34 am »

This is not the first time we humans have affected the Earth's climate in a serious way, it turns out (old news, but I haven't seen it posted here):

http://news.stanford.edu/pr/2008/pr-manvleaf-010709.html

When the Europeans brought smallpox to the Americas, the resultant mass death resulted in such significant reforestation that it cooled the Earth dramatically. Pre-columbian Americans had a habit of burning forests to keep them healthy, so when they mostly died out, a huge carbon sink was created.

I still don't get why we argue over whether or not climate change is caused by humans or not, though. The right-wing thought process on this seems akin to refusing to build a tornado shelter because we don't cause tornadoes.

Are we building a shelter or attempting to move clouds?

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #311 on: May 16, 2014, 11:09:37 am »

The right-wing thought process on this seems akin to refusing to build a tornado shelter because we don't cause tornadoes.

While the left-wing thought process includes building mobile homes for protection against tornadoes since doing anything, even if it is wrong, is better than nothing.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #312 on: May 16, 2014, 11:29:19 am »

China is on fire, so lets outlaw matches in America!

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #313 on: May 16, 2014, 11:30:49 am »

While the left-wing thought process includes building mobile homes for protection against tornadoes since doing anything, even if it is wrong, is better than nothing.

Not really sure why you think that reducing carbon emissions and sequestration projects are "wrong," given that the proximate cause of the warming is known to be (mainly) caused by excess carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #314 on: May 16, 2014, 11:31:24 am »

China is on fire, so lets outlaw matches in America!

More like "my neighbor's house is on fire, but I'm not going to do anything because I didn't start the fire."

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 61   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org