A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:12:35 pm
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 61   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Global Warming/Climate Change/Global Weirding?  (Read 441436 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2011, 03:50:38 pm »

Oh, and one more trick to thinning out the oil during the winter was to add a little diesel to it to thin it out.

That's actually done still do this day with some bunker C oil to come up with a #4 or #5 which will pump and atomize easier for asphalt kilns, boilers, and the like.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2011, 04:02:32 pm »

It thins out pretty much when the oil temp gets up around 200F+.
And until then, there's very little lubrication. Sad

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2011, 04:10:42 pm »

And until then, there's very little lubrication. Sad

Depends on temperature and internal clearances.  Remember we are not dealing with modern materials and tolerances.  Thin stuff runs off of things like cam lobes and lifters.  OK if you run the engine frequently.  Not so OK if it sits much.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2011, 10:44:07 pm »

Harley used cam bushings until the mid- 50's on most models rather than needle bearings and even up to 1973 on the 45" flathead they used in the Servicar.  It was really rare to see spalling problems with them.  I believe part of the reason they used the heavier weight oils, aside from it being needed for primary chain lube was it formed a pretty durable film on the engine parts.  The lubrication systems were actually quite sophisticated considering they didn't have the advantages of computers to design or manufacture them.  Most of the engine wear was the result of poor air filtration.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2011, 06:23:48 am »

Ok, where is the moderator on this forum?  Its frustrating to go to a thread that is carrying on a conversation thats something totally different than its title.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2011, 09:32:52 am »

Ok, where is the moderator on this forum?  Its frustrating to go to a thread that is carrying on a conversation thats something totally different than its title.

Sorry Artist, it's the usual TNF thread drift.  I'll behave right after this shameless plug for Marshall's Beer.  Cool

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2011, 01:10:51 pm »

Me too.  In a minute...

No curb scrape.  '82 Tourglide all oregano - sits up higher.  Rode a friends '66 Electraglide one time - kicker only.  Scraped.

Only one rebuild at 2,500 miles - tighter tolerances on shovel that year led to worse lubrication.  Swallowed a valve.  Yum.  Have about 95 and change on it now with no further problems with engine.  Electrical, yes.  (I have a household light switch wired into the headlight/taillight circuit to get lights.  Wonky.

Last dinner ride I went on, everyone came around looking at it.  Just a plain ole shovel, with plenty of wear and tear on body.  What they were looking at was the shovel.  Culture shock - suddenly realized how far behind the curve I am.  Ain't gonna get rid of it though.  Told the kids they are gonna have to dig a deeper hole to bury me in.  Since I will be sitting on that bike.  Yeah, I know...makes for a cumbersome coffin, but I got that worked out already.  Building my own.

Now, back to global climate change - every time we have an ozone alert in town, I do my part by taking the bus ('70s International).  My own bus.  Can't really understand how driving that with just me in it will help, but hey, I try to do my part!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2011, 07:02:12 pm »

It's actually not "totally different than its title." It's hyperfocused on one aspect of the issue. Automakers are using lighter and lighter lubricating oils specifically because it reduces emissions. Wink (less friction=more go per gallon)

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2011, 10:45:05 pm »

Good stretch, Nathan.  Works for me.

Hyperfocused....yeah, that's the ticket.

Back to climate change.  It's long overdue.  An ice age may be just what we need to give us the incentive to do something real in this country for renewable energy.  Instead of depending on the Germans, Dutch and Pacific rim to do it for us.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2011, 11:15:21 pm »

The Middle East has been increasingly unstable over the last 50 years, yet we've done very little in the way of sensible energy policies in order to lessen our dependence Middle Eastern oil other than token efforts or throwing money at one lobby or another or creating yet more clever farm subsidies by propping up alt fuel manufacturing from virgin feed stock.

It's basically the same problem we have in just about every other motive for legislation.  if it's not going to help re-elect someone with votes, put money into their re-election campaigns, or enrichen their closest cronies, it's simply not going to happen.  This is what happens when we leave it up to government to pick the winners and losers instead of the free market.  Then there's the unelected officials who run the bureaucracies...

I realize the EPA has done a lot to clean up industrial practices for the benefit of all of us, yet they've also demonstrated a pattern of overly restrictive practices which have stifled practical solutions to domestically produced energy which has helped prolong and actually increase our dependence on foreign oil.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2011, 11:54:16 pm »

It's basically the same problem we have in just about every other motive for legislation.  if it's not going to help re-elect someone with votes, put money into their re-election campaigns, or enrichen their closest cronies, it's simply not going to happen.  This is what happens when we leave it up to government to pick the winners and losers instead of the free market.
The government doesn't dictate how you meet pollution targets or whatever, only that you do. That's pretty much leaving it up to the free market.

As for the cause of dysfunctional government, it largely stems from the two party system that makes it trivial for a person or organization to support candidates from both major parties and be ensured that someone whose palm they have greased is in office. You'll note that most business PACs don't go past 60/40 in favor of the party in power or that they think will shortly be in power most of the time.

Make it easier for third (and fourth) party candidates to be elected, and the problem should be lessened somewhat.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2011, 12:48:06 am »

The government doesn't dictate how you meet pollution targets or whatever, only that you do. That's pretty much leaving it up to the free market.

As for the cause of dysfunctional government, it largely stems from the two party system that makes it trivial for a person or organization to support candidates from both major parties and be ensured that someone whose palm they have greased is in office. You'll note that most business PACs don't go past 60/40 in favor of the party in power or that they think will shortly be in power most of the time.

Make it easier for third (and fourth) party candidates to be elected, and the problem should be lessened somewhat.

You don't think tax credits to promote certain "clean" technologies isn't the government dictating how you will meet targets?  Think again. 

Except when a serious third party challenge emerges, it's summarily shot down as fringers or nutbags.  If you really want a three or four party system, you are going to have to accept and embrace what you like most about a movement rather than focusing on a minority of vocal miscreants who really have no idea why they are following such a movement.  Everyone is so afraid of being labeled a racist these days, that's the worst epithet you can hurl at a movement.  Unfortunately, what is keeping racism alive seems to be those on the left working overtime to discredit conservative movements as being heavily populated by gun-toting racists.

Hate to say it, but a workable third or four party system would mean all parties being more moderate, yet that still doesn't get rid of corruption.  The only thing which will do that is term limits, tossing out the paid lobbying process, etc. ad nauseum.  Rinse, spit, repeat.  Actual results may vary.  Items in mirror may be bigger than they appear.

I think you get my drift.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 12:51:48 am by Conan71 » Logged

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2011, 01:05:10 pm »

If oil were not such a fungible commodity, it might make sense to worry about the source.  As it is, why not use up all their oil first.  It leaves local oil in the ground like a savings account.

But then you have to rein in big oil to make it work.  And wouldn't that be an unwarranted government intrusion?

Hearing more again about 'local' supply of oil/gas.  Drill, baby, drill routine one more time.  Ok, sounds good.  Why aren't they already doing that?  Big oil is just sitting on 3/4 of the leases and known reserves that are already permitted in this country. There is no reason to open up any more until those resources are being produced.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2011, 01:34:55 pm »

If oil were not such a fungible commodity, it might make sense to worry about the source.  As it is, why not use up all their oil first.  It leaves local oil in the ground like a savings account.

But then you have to rein in big oil to make it work.  And wouldn't that be an unwarranted government intrusion?

Hearing more again about 'local' supply of oil/gas.  Drill, baby, drill routine one more time.  Ok, sounds good.  Why aren't they already doing that?  Big oil is just sitting on 3/4 of the leases and known reserves that are already permitted in this country. There is no reason to open up any more until those resources are being produced.

It's getting smaller companies to invest in new technology to increase production out of marginal wells which have been capped for some time and it's spurring new drilling here in the states.  We are involved directly in some of those projects right now.

Ironically, a very large biodiesel plant sits mothballed right in the heart of one of these regions I'm talking about in west central Missouri.  Not enough tax credits to make it viable again.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2011, 07:05:19 pm »

So, that would mean it is not economically viable yet.  Hmmmm, maybe a little government funding would help move the process along?  Overcome the hurdles of investing in new technology with unknown returns.

Or just keep on letting big oil have their way and their subsidies to keep on doing what they been doing to us.

And if it were such a critical issue of 'national security' as the RWRE says when talking about ANWAR, then why would they not be doing it already.  Or a year or two ago, like we beat to death then?

I guess I would still submit that $100 per barrel oil is what is spurring drilling.  Back a couple years, when oil was at $30, you remember then how the Baker drill rig count was dropping.  Late 2008.  I guess home drilled oil wasn't such a matter of national security to Exxon, Chevron, or BP back then.  Or else, being the good corporate citizens they are, there would have been MORE drilling going on - in the name of national security.

Rig count history.
http://intelligencepress.com/features/bakerhughes/

Would one of those projects be coal bed methane?  Or shale oil?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 61   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org