A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:57:33 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gomez - Dewey's answer to PlaniTulsa  (Read 8626 times)
Rico
« on: May 04, 2010, 08:40:56 am »

If anyone had doubts about just who and what Mayor Bartlett is about, in regards to the development community.... Wait no longer.

Dewey has found just what the TMAPC needs? Eric Gomez.

The article from the World...

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20100504_11_A5_Amajor946804
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 09:51:55 am »

If anyone had doubts about just who and what Mayor Bartlett is about, in regards to the development community.... Wait no longer.

Dewey has found just what the TMAPC needs? Eric Gomez.

The article from the World...

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20100504_11_A5_Amajor946804

http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=7921.msg76534#msg76534

Councilors Eric Gomez and Dennis Troyer told the city council Thursday that they would like LED billboards to be brighter, closer together, and change messages faster, after returning from a junket to OKC.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectID=11&articleID=20080425_1_A9_spanc17770

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
inteller
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 04:22:50 pm »

I think we should just abolish the existing TMAPC and start over with Gomez, Bumgarner, Midget, Cadieau (or any other QT minion), Sack, and one of the land attorneys or two on a first name basis with INCOG.  I want Tulsa paved over and replaced with poorly drained italianate quiktrips with 4 LED billboards on the top or each blaring seizure inducing ads.....someone feel free to photochop that for visual effect.

Rico
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 04:32:18 pm »

I think we should just abolish the existing TMAPC and start over with Gomez, Bumgarner, Midget, Cadieau (or any other QT minion), Sack, and one of the land attorneys or two on a first name basis with INCOG.  I want Tulsa paved over and replaced with poorly drained italianate quiktrips with 4 LED billboards on the top or each blaring seizure inducing ads.....someone feel free to photochop that for visual effect.

Now you have done it.

Given them an idea they can take and run with... Although.......  pause....... it ain't very much further from there to the truth.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 02:50:57 pm »

I thought it was interesting that Gomez mentioned his knowledge about downtown as a qualification to serve on the TMAPC.  As there is essentially no zoning in downtown (in the CBD, almost anything goes), there really aren't very many downtown issues that come up before the TMAPC.  I do believe that he sincerely cares about downtown, and has a good grasp about that topic, but it doesn't change the fact that he isn't perceived to be balanced on issues of importance to neighborhoods throughout the City of Tulsa.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 09:08:26 pm »

Those 3 are idiots.  I drive by two of those billboards between 2 and 5 days a week and one on I-35 just south of 19th street in Moore is WAY beyond obnoxious.  The one just south of there is merely a hazard to driving, but at least it isn't blinding. (Different between 300 and 500 nit--wits.)

What a crock.  The two biggest idiots got to see those signs once.  They haven't had that blaring-in-your-face crap over and over again.

Yeah, Tulsa is on a roll....

Geezzzzzzz......

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 08:24:46 am »

Those 3 are idiots.  I drive by two of those billboards between 2 and 5 days a week and one on I-35 just south of 19th street in Moore is WAY beyond obnoxious.  The one just south of there is merely a hazard to driving, but at least it isn't blinding. (Different between 300 and 500 nit--wits.)

What a crock.  The two biggest idiots got to see those signs once.  They haven't had that blaring-in-your-face crap over and over again.

Yeah, Tulsa is on a roll....

Geezzzzzzz......

PWI much?  What's a sign in Moore got to do with Eric Gomez, PlaniTulsa, or Mayor Bartlet (sic)?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 11:29:50 am »

Second post.
Tweedle-dum and Tweedle-dee went to OKC to look at the billboards.

Once again Tulsa (non)leaders fall into the "compare us to OKC so we can try to make Tulsa look like a slightly backward stepchild so people will vote to spend hundreds of millions"... or...  if we don't bring this "economic engine"  (LED's) to Tulsa we are going to lose jobs....

Blech!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 11:59:09 am »

I thought it was interesting that Gomez mentioned his knowledge about downtown as a qualification to serve on the TMAPC.  As there is essentially no zoning in downtown (in the CBD, almost anything goes), there really aren't very many downtown issues that come up before the TMAPC.  I do believe that he sincerely cares about downtown, and has a good grasp about that topic, but it doesn't change the fact that he isn't perceived to be balanced on issues of importance to neighborhoods throughout the City of Tulsa.

He may indeed be downtown's biggest advocate, but the job requires much more than that.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
waterboy
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 12:08:36 pm »

I think we should just abolish the existing TMAPC and start over with Gomez, Bumgarner, Midget, Cadieau (or any other QT minion), Sack, and one of the land attorneys or two on a first name basis with INCOG.  I want Tulsa paved over and replaced with poorly drained italianate quiktrips with 4 LED billboards on the top or each blaring seizure inducing ads.....someone feel free to photochop that for visual effect.

That reminds me of my favorite post from a former poster around here. He wrote, "I would like to see us build a glass dome over downtown Tulsa.......and fill it with concrete." Grin

I had to spend some time a while back going through Sapulpa and was accosted by a WalGreens LED that blared red and dominated the landscape. I suppose Gomez and crew would love that. It was real cheezy.
spartanokc
OKC Nag
Citizen

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 01:12:01 am »

Second post.
Tweedle-dum and Tweedle-dee went to OKC to look at the billboards.

Once again Tulsa (non)leaders fall into the "compare us to OKC so we can try to make Tulsa look like a slightly backward stepchild so people will vote to spend hundreds of millions"... or...  if we don't bring this "economic engine"  (LED's) to Tulsa we are going to lose jobs....

Blech!

This is interesting because in OKC we actually have a BAN on electronic billboards. Tulsa is ahead of is with signage, because they recently legalized neon signs again..still illegal in OKC, though nothing against restoring a historic one such as the work on the Tower Theater (23rd and Walker) or the Plaza Theater (16th and Indiana).

It's actually the suburbs where it is MUCH easier to erect a billboard of any type. Not only is there a moratorium on electronic billboards in OKC, but there's also flat-out bans on adding billboards to certain stretches of freeways..one example would be the new I-40 Crosstown Expressway which the city has already protected from a single billboard along its path.

Is nobody else going to criticize the logic in making an "OKC junket" for the purposes of good suburban growth management policy?? Because we know they weren't examining the historically-sensitive infill in Deep Deuce...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 01:14:10 am by spartanokc » Logged

Rico
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 08:18:58 am »

This is interesting because in OKC we actually have a BAN on electronic billboards. Tulsa is ahead of is with signage, because they recently legalized neon signs again..still illegal in OKC, though nothing against restoring a historic one such as the work on the Tower Theater (23rd and Walker) or the Plaza Theater (16th and Indiana).

It's actually the suburbs where it is MUCH easier to erect a billboard of any type. Not only is there a moratorium on electronic billboards in OKC, but there's also flat-out bans on adding billboards to certain stretches of freeways..one example would be the new I-40 Crosstown Expressway which the city has already protected from a single billboard along its path.

Is nobody else going to criticize the logic in making an "OKC junket" for the purposes of good suburban growth management policy?? Because we know they weren't examining the historically-sensitive infill in Deep Deuce...

Hello,

I unlike some on this board, have nothing against OKC other than it is 190 or so miles away from Tulsa.

I moved here from Southern California. Los Angeles area. I am very used to one cool city being next to another cool city... although, (they are cool), for completely different reasons. i.e. Venice Beach versus say Hollywood.

I, for one, wish there were more collaborative efforts with Oklahoma City and Tulsa, to examine and work on things like building code, signs, use units etc.
Tulsa Now began, in part, with a bus ride of a bunch of people to OKC to see just how we could make Tulsa better.

Now it seems like the "we are better and smarter than them" mentality has all but consumed Tulsa.

One thing I am sure of.... There are only so many progressive thinking people within the state of Oklahoma boundaries.

The people that wish to turn a buck on things such as LED Billboards and tear-downs are more than happy with the current mindset of division that exist between OKC and Tulsa.

Divide and conquer.

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 10:40:24 am »

This is interesting because in OKC we actually have a BAN on electronic billboards. Tulsa is ahead of is with signage, because they recently legalized neon signs again..

The first LED billboard I saw in Oklahoma was in OKC along an expressway (that's what Gomez went to see)
and Tulsa recently loosened the ban on rooftop signs in just one district -- I dont think there was ever a ban on neon.

inteller
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 06:31:04 pm »

bwahahahaha.....thank the council for preventing gomez from being unleashed on the city.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 07:17:40 pm »

wasn't sure how Trail and Christianson were going to vote, was glad to hear the extra no's to get him turned down.  Now the question is, who is the mayor going to put in for the next try.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org