A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:35:20 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Candidates will support PlaniTulsa?  (Read 3687 times)
akupetsky
Civic Leader

« on: November 03, 2009, 10:29:19 pm »

I received a mailing from Maria Barnes a couple of days ago touting her support for PlaniTulsa, and it made me wonder which other candidates will promise to support the new comp plan update. Obviously, some of that will depend on what the ultimate plan looks like, but I am curious who actually is a strong supporter of citizen input in how the city grows, and who recognizes the dire need of Tulsa to have a new plan.  I have heard rumors that several of the current councilors are not crazy about the plan.  And I have heard that the realtors and homebuilders don't like it (groups that gave Gomez a lot of money).  On Gomez's mailers, he touts his support for hiring a planning director, but doesn't actually say he will support PlaniTulsa.  I have spoken with Adelson about his views, and he seems very supportive and positive of it.  Bartlett seems much less so.  I don't know about Perkins.

I am curious if anyone else has spoken to candidates about PlaniTulsa.  Are they supportive?  Do they understand it?

TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 10:33:08 am »

I ran into Maria multiple times at the PlanItTulsa meetings, but I only saw Gomez at the beginning of them. After that, he seemed to disappear. I never thought to ask at the time, but did he actually leave after making initial introductions? Did anyone else pay close enough attention?

---Robert
FOTD
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 12:14:59 pm »

It appears there were too few participants and PlaniTulsa is not going to be taken seriously by the COT.

Too many ignored past priorities have replaced the need to change.
OurTulsa
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 01:14:15 pm »

I think both D-4 candidates are going to embrace PlaniTulsa.  I've seen both Eric and Maria at planning events and they both like what they are seeing develop.  Maria's on the Citizens team for PlaniTulsa - I would hope that she is more involved and present at the events.

I don't know about some of the other Councilors.  I think GT is cool with it and I've heard that Westcott is supportive but the others I don't know.  I get concerned thinking about some of their antics and the possibilities of the plan getting knit-picked to death to the point that a Henderson will throw his hands in the air and give up on it.  And don't doubt that there will be individuals at the adoption public hearings criticizing this and that about the plan.  It will be incredibly important that those citizens who support the plan show up at the hearings to reinforce their support.

With that, I get the feeling some of the other district reps might be ambivalent and are going stay parochial in their support for it.

On the Mayoral side, I hear them all say they're supportive.  I don't have confidence in Dewey's ability to champion the plan and work hard at implementing it - and that conclusion has more to do with my stereotyping his demeanor.  He just gives me the impression that he'll pay it lip service and ask some of the City dept. heads to look into it and leave it at that.  I get the impression Tom and Mark get it and want some of the same outcomes for our City.  They both strike me as a tad bit more energetic about our City's future and the possibilities.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 11:32:24 am »

I think both D-4 candidates are going to embrace PlaniTulsa.  I've seen both Eric and Maria at planning events and they both like what they are seeing develop.  Maria's on the Citizens team for PlaniTulsa - I would hope that she is more involved and present at the events.

I don't know about some of the other Councilors.  I think GT is cool with it and I've heard that Westcott is supportive but the others I don't know.  I get concerned thinking about some of their antics and the possibilities of the plan getting knit-picked to death to the point that a Henderson will throw his hands in the air and give up on it.  And don't doubt that there will be individuals at the adoption public hearings criticizing this and that about the plan.  It will be incredibly important that those citizens who support the plan show up at the hearings to reinforce their support.

With that, I get the feeling some of the other district reps might be ambivalent and are going stay parochial in their support for it.

On the Mayoral side, I hear them all say they're supportive.  I don't have confidence in Dewey's ability to champion the plan and work hard at implementing it - and that conclusion has more to do with my stereotyping his demeanor.  He just gives me the impression that he'll pay it lip service and ask some of the City dept. heads to look into it and leave it at that.  I get the impression Tom and Mark get it and want some of the same outcomes for our City.  They both strike me as a tad bit more energetic about our City's future and the possibilities.

I agree about your thoughts on Dewey.  He just strikes me as a guy who is okay with the status quo and spewing venom about liberals and Obama anytime he gets a chance.  Adelson and Perkins both advocate denser development and better transit which bodes well for implementing the new comp. plan and embracing PlaniTulsa.

FOTD
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 03:53:42 pm »

I agree about your thoughts on Dewey.  He just strikes me as a guy who is okay with the status quo and spewing venom about liberals and Obama anytime he gets a chance.  Adelson and Perkins both advocate denser development and better transit which bodes well for implementing the new comp. plan and embracing PlaniTulsa.

"show me da money!"
Bubblehead
Citizen

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 09:41:34 am »

If Maria Barnes has sent out a mailer definitely supporting PlaniTulsa and is a neighborhood advocate I would assume she will represent what the people want.

Since Gomez is essentially a commercial real estate broker I would assume he will represent the business community.

It isn't rocket science.
Liz Wright
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 11:47:50 am »

Please do not be misled by who is or isn't there at a particular meeting. There have been many attempts to reach as many citizens as possible in the public process and many of the meetings duplicate each other. After being present at a couple of the meetings and being asked questions, I bowed out. This entire process at the public level is about input from the public, not asking city councilors or planning folks what they think. The TMAPC has many presentations by PlaniTulsa. The big updates are conducted at the worksessions (the third meeing of the month) and are open to the public.  Fregonese also has met with other entitities whenever his team is in town.

As far as who will support PlaniTulsa -- unless the new Mayor places emphasis, it will be a dead issue. I sincerely hope my impression is correct - I think Adelson will support PlaniTulsa.

Liz Wright
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org