A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:14:02 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Michael Bates is an embarrassment to the Republican party  (Read 41765 times)
DCtransplant
« on: September 08, 2009, 06:55:30 pm »

I know, I know....I shouldn't even peek between my covered eyes at his site but I guess I like train wrecks.

It is his right to endorse Chris Medlock and forgive his past, significant cases of dishonesty, but why attempt to smear Dewey Bartlett in what should be Mr. Bates' work to build upon the support he sees for Medlock? To what end would anyone, Democrat or Republican, publish public divorce proceedings when they are absent of even any insinuation of illegality or ethical misconduct? And then to condemn the man for taking legal steps to ensure that such matters remain private where they should have otherwise remained? Is it in our collective interest that modern political discourse remain upon the road that dictates that the ends  justify the means? To quote a man on whose Presidential campaign I worked, "Where is the outrage?"

And granted, I've been away from Tulsa for awhile... but why must local members (Bates, Medlock) of the party that I have devoted the majority of my professional life to engage in the type of class warfare that we rightfully admonish those Democrats who engage in such shameful tactics? Is it right or helpful to both my party and this great city to label members of our own party as undeserving of support because they have personal wealth? Really? Does hard work both by the individual and their family now warrant condemnation?

This city is great and it is its citizenry that makes it so....despite the best efforts of the likes of Michael Bates and Chris Medlock
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 07:27:03 pm by DCtransplant » Logged
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 07:45:41 pm »

Did not do any good...Medlock got smoked.....

MDepr2007
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 07:51:47 pm »

Yep it works so much better with our heads in the sand doesn't it.
FOTD
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 08:04:04 pm »

I know, I know....I shouldn't even peek between my covered eyes at his site but I guess I like train wrecks.

It is his right to endorse Chris Medlock and forgive his past, significant cases of dishonesty, but why attempt to smear Dewey Bartlett in what should be Mr. Bates' work to build upon the support he sees for Medlock? To what end would anyone, Democrat or Republican, publish public divorce proceedings when they are absent of even any insinuation of illegality or ethical misconduct? And then to condemn the man for taking legal steps to ensure that such matters remain private where they should have otherwise remained? Is it in our collective interest that modern political discourse remain upon the road that dictates that the ends  justify the means? To quote a man on whose Presidential campaign I worked, "Where is the outrage?"

And granted, I've been away from Tulsa for awhile... but why must local members (Bates, Medlock) of the party that I have devoted the majority of my professional life to engage in the type of class warfare that we rightfully admonish those Democrats who engage in such shameful tactics? Is it right or helpful to both my party and this great city to label members of our own party as undeserving of support because they have personal wealth? Really? Does hard work both by the individual and their family now warrant condemnation?

This city is great and it is its citizenry that makes it so....despite the best efforts of the likes of Michael Bates and Chris Medlock

Oh please. Democrats do not engage in such shameful tactics. You left your tin foil hat back in DC....and besides, birthers, teabaggers, and riddlers all come from deep inside Tulsa's political republican leadership. So don't show up and say all dirt throwing is equal. First, say what a disgrace the party has become on the national level for following the direction of the radical right wing and secondly, for never renouncing the idiocy their leadership condones.

And get a grip. Medlock and Bates spoon feed each other. It's a joke. They support each others' ego. Neither one has done anything to further the "values" they portray unless it's in tune with the right wing. They are clearly Wingnutians from Dumbf#*kistan.  

But since you've been away, the city has become polarized over privatized solutions to citizens concerns. Policies are no longer dictated from the men's locker room at Southern Hills. It's been relegated to big mansions. That's what happens to the club when you let the females in.

The race is on....and it looks like it's between two south side affluenza victims. Not good. Dewey needs to run as a man who has served the city as a councilor and aims to build consensus among his councilors. Adelson needs to hold up as a good family man in TV commercials because that's all that seems to matter anyway.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 08:05:35 pm by FOTD » Logged
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 10:14:39 pm »

Oh please. Democrats do not engage in such shameful tactics.

Democrats invent their own shameful tactics to avoid being mistaken for Republicans.

FOTD
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 10:39:18 pm »

Democrats invent their own shameful tactics to avoid being mistaken for Republicans.

Dan Boren?
MichaelBates
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 11:17:03 pm »

Tulsa politics may be confusing to someone just back from a sojourn elsewhere. Assuming you are who you say you are and not just a sock puppet for some local typing away in his mom's basement, take a closer look before you jump to conclusions.

You may not be aware that Dewey Bartlett Jr endorsed Tulsa's incumbent Democratic mayor for re-election this year before she decided not to run. He endorsed her despite several Republican city councilors considering the race. Does that not disturb you, as a long-time professional Republican operative?

In 2006, Medlock swallowed his pride after losing to the incumbent Republican mayor in the primary, was a good party soldier, and worked to convince his supporters to back Bill LaFortune. As far as I am aware, Dewey Bartlett Jr did not lift a finger to help Bill LaFortune get re-elected.  So who should a loyal Republican support -- Medlock, the good party soldier, or Bartlett Jr, the turncoat?

And how do you make sense of this through your two-party, class-warfare grid:

A Democratic mayor and a Republican campaign consultant (the same one working for Mr. Bartlett) recruited an affable but financially troubled candidate and got him relocated from outside the city into a council district just in time to run him as a Republican against an incumbent Republican. The incumbent Republican is CEO of a small manufacturing company, he's a CPA, and he has a sharp mind. He's the closest thing the City Council has to Tom Coburn in terms of quantifying and calling attention to the seriousness of our city's fiscal predicament. Wealthy Republicans and wealthy Democrats banded together with the firefighters' union to defeat the intelligent, independent-minded incumbent and replace him with a very nice man who is in way over his head and will do what he is told.

Don't believe me? Watch the District 5 candidate forum for yourself.

I support a total and permanent repeal of the death tax. I'm happy for people who have inherited wealth. But I don't think having inherited wealth is an indicator of wisdom or economic good sense. Although I don't agree with him politically, I'm impressed with someone like George Kaiser who takes an inheritance and turns it into something much bigger.

I don't think that a good Republican is required to be impressed with a candidate just because he inherits millions, especially when his attorney writes that "despite Dewey's best managerial efforts, there was no enhancement in the value of Dewey's inherited estate..." (this during a period when the S&P 500 almost tripled) and "[Dewey and his wife] lived a lifestyle which exceeded Dewey's salary and thus consumed a large portion of Dewey's separate estate." It's not class warfare to call attention to the discrepancy between his claims of being a successful businessman who knows how to create jobs and the statements made on his behalf in a court of law.

How many jobs has Dewey Bartlett Jr created? I don't think he's ever answered that question. The only numbers I've found on his company's head count show it hovering at around 10, plus or minus a few.

Dewey Bartlett Jr isn't undeserving of support because of inherited wealth. He's undeserving of support because he offered no substance in his campaign, because he dodged debates, and because he can't back up the central rationale of his candidacy -- his claims of job creation and business success.

In what topsy-turvy world is Dewey Bartlett Jr a good Republican? Does Dewey deserve a pass from Republicans for his endorsement of Kathy Taylor just because his daddy was a governor and senator and his granddaddy made a fortune in oil?
FOTD
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 11:33:56 pm »

"  I'm impressed with someone like George Kaiser who takes an inheritance and turns it into something much bigger. "

Not so sure Herman Kaiser saw it this way. And am pretty certain George Kaiser grew a family business rather than inherited it. If he did inherit anything, it was ethics, generosity, and genius. What's wrong with his politics?

Try not to be so mean spirited. It would be understandable if you were objective. But it sounds like sour grapes being squeezed by Republicans.

It's not like the next Mayor is going to be able to do much with this budgetary mess. Besides, the city is run by the Public Works department.....Mayors cut ribbons and make big mistakes....
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 11:37:31 pm by FOTD » Logged
Wilbur
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 05:18:54 am »

Let me see if I understand this correctly.  Bates made public documents .....  public.  Oh, the shame.
DCtransplant
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 07:40:34 am »

My Gawd, you are crazier than I thought. And noticably absent from this ramble is any type of defense for publishing court documents related to someones divorce proceedings when there is no indication of illegality or ethical misconduct contained therein and referring to an individuals or group of individuals private wealth as though it bears the mark of Cain.

Tulsa politics may be confusing to someone just back from a sojourn elsewhere. Assuming you are who you say you are and not just a sock puppet for some local typing away in his mom's basement, take a closer look before you jump to conclusions.

You may not be aware that Dewey Bartlett Jr endorsed Tulsa's incumbent Democratic mayor for re-election this year before she decided not to run. He endorsed her despite several Republican city councilors considering the race. Does that not disturb you, as a long-time professional Republican operative?

In 2006, Medlock swallowed his pride after losing to the incumbent Republican mayor in the primary, was a good party soldier, and worked to convince his supporters to back Bill LaFortune. As far as I am aware, Dewey Bartlett Jr did not lift a finger to help Bill LaFortune get re-elected.  So who should a loyal Republican support -- Medlock, the good party soldier, or Bartlett Jr, the turncoat?

And how do you make sense of this through your two-party, class-warfare grid:

A Democratic mayor and a Republican campaign consultant (the same one working for Mr. Bartlett) recruited an affable but financially troubled candidate and got him relocated from outside the city into a council district just in time to run him as a Republican against an incumbent Republican. The incumbent Republican is CEO of a small manufacturing company, he's a CPA, and he has a sharp mind. He's the closest thing the City Council has to Tom Coburn in terms of quantifying and calling attention to the seriousness of our city's fiscal predicament. Wealthy Republicans and wealthy Democrats banded together with the firefighters' union to defeat the intelligent, independent-minded incumbent and replace him with a very nice man who is in way over his head and will do what he is told.

Don't believe me? Watch the District 5 candidate forum for yourself.

I support a total and permanent repeal of the death tax. I'm happy for people who have inherited wealth. But I don't think having inherited wealth is an indicator of wisdom or economic good sense. Although I don't agree with him politically, I'm impressed with someone like George Kaiser who takes an inheritance and turns it into something much bigger.

I don't think that a good Republican is required to be impressed with a candidate just because he inherits millions, especially when his attorney writes that "despite Dewey's best managerial efforts, there was no enhancement in the value of Dewey's inherited estate..." (this during a period when the S&P 500 almost tripled) and "[Dewey and his wife] lived a lifestyle which exceeded Dewey's salary and thus consumed a large portion of Dewey's separate estate." It's not class warfare to call attention to the discrepancy between his claims of being a successful businessman who knows how to create jobs and the statements made on his behalf in a court of law.

How many jobs has Dewey Bartlett Jr created? I don't think he's ever answered that question. The only numbers I've found on his company's head count show it hovering at around 10, plus or minus a few.

Dewey Bartlett Jr isn't undeserving of support because of inherited wealth. He's undeserving of support because he offered no substance in his campaign, because he dodged debates, and because he can't back up the central rationale of his candidacy -- his claims of job creation and business success.

In what topsy-turvy world is Dewey Bartlett Jr a good Republican? Does Dewey deserve a pass from Republicans for his endorsement of Kathy Taylor just because his daddy was a governor and senator and his granddaddy made a fortune in oil?
Wrinkle
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 07:47:02 am »

My Gawd, you are crazier than I thought. And noticably absent from this ramble is any type of defense for publishing court documents related to someones divorce proceedings when there is no indication of illegality or ethical misconduct contained therein and referring to an individuals or group of individuals private wealth as though it bears the mark of Cain.

Believe you to be the one suffering from disconnect.

There was no claim of illegality or ethical misconduct by Bates or the posting, which was not the purpose of the posting at all. It was to provide indication of Bartlett's [lack of] business acumen, a direct confrontation to Bartlett's own claims.

Seems clear you've an agenda here other than the truth.

cynical
Civic Leader

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 07:52:09 am »

Around here they need to try harder.  They make Nader look right.  There isn't a dime's worth of difference . . .

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 07:53:56 am »

DCT, you seem to have a problem others are not echoing.  Bartlett made claims to be a fiscal conservative, such a great manager, creates jobs, etc.  I'm glad Michael dug up the info and published it.  I think it's important for us to know if a candidate is in step with his claims or a total fraud.

I don't think it's out of bounds to shine the light on a candidate especially as it relates to what he/she claims about his/her business accumen.  It was a sobering point to see this "fiscal conservative" can't live within his own means.  One of the biggest gripes about the Taylor administration I have heard has been that "we have not lived within our means as a city".  Does the citizenry want another four years of that?

Avoiding a debate with Mudschlock and noticeably leaving important issues off his website and not even addressing the most important issues facing the city makes Bartlett's candidacy a total empty-suit joke.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
MichaelBates
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 08:02:20 am »

I answered your charges, if you'd bothered to read my reply.

I think one of our trollish old friends has created a new sock puppet for himself. Don't you have a site redesign to finish up?
DowntownNow
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 08:07:58 am »

DCtransplant...if by your statement you mean that every other Republican (or Democrat for that matter) should whistfully sit idly by and do nothing, ask not one question, perform no research on their prospective candidate choices...then I guess Michael Bates could be an embarrassment to the likes of you.

What Bates does offer (and you have a choice whether to read it or not, believe it or not or take it and research for yourself for its validity) is a thorough, in-depth analyisis from a myriad of sources as well as offering the time to do it, which it would seem, most dont bother to do...they merely go vote for the choice with the 'prettiest signs' or the most TV time.  Shame.

In hindsight, as small minded as your comment seemed to be...perhaps you are the one that is the embarrassment if that is the quality of voter you believe all should be.  That or you couldnt understand the relationship Bates was drawing to claims made by Bartlett and his public record that was in conflict with that.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org