A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:30:37 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My rant on development / road planning  (Read 13697 times)
bacjz00
Civic Leader

« on: September 04, 2009, 12:45:53 pm »

I'm going to try and keep this short.

Why is it that Tulsa continues to take major thoroughfares (71st Street east-end & now Memorial Drive south of the Turnpike) and transform them into access roads?  South Memorial is a US Highway for crying out loud.  It is literally the only route for South Tulsans to take to get to Bixby and points further south.  Instead of developing access roads to handle retail traffic, we whore out our only through-corridor to the strip mall and big box gods so that folks can turn their tanks directly from the through street into their precious parking space. 

The way in which we develop some of our retail centers is simply preposterous.  Tulsa Hills is the only development I've seen in Tulsa that is done right, where traffic on 71st Street is allowed to continue UNinterrupted while folks use 2 large turn lanes to turn onto the "ACCESS ROAD".  Once on the "ACCESS ROAD", folks can look around all they want, figure out which store to visit first, compare sale signs and just generally think about their local destination as opposed to trying to actually get somewhere across town. 

It's so absurd.   It's no wonder they want to build another bridge into/out of South Tulsa County.  The only question is will Tulsa turn around and build parking lots on both sides of it so that folks can be in their parking spot in front of their store within 5 seconds of leaving Yale?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 09:54:37 pm by bacjz00 » Logged

brianh
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 01:34:55 pm »

I'm going to try and keep this short.

Why is it that Tulsa continues to take major thoroughfares (71st Street east-end & now Memorial Drive south of the Turnpike) and transform them into access roads?  South Memorial is a US Highway for crying out loud.  It is literally the only route for South Tulsans to take to get to Bixby and points further south.  Instead of developing access roads to handle retail traffic, we whore out our only through-corridor to the strip mall and big box gods so that folks can turn their tanks directly from the through street into their precious parking space. 

The way in which we develop some of our retail centers is simply preposterous.  Tulsa Hills is the only development I've seen in Tulsa that is done right, where traffic on 71st Street is allowed to continue interrupted while folks use 2 large turn lanes to turn onto the "ACCESS ROAD".  Once on the access road, folks can look around all they want, figure out which store to visit first, compare sale signs and just generally think about their local destination as opposed to trying to actually get somewhere across town. 

It's so absurd.   It's no wonder they want to build another bridge into/out of South Tulsa County.  The only question is will Tulsa turn around and build parking lots on both sides of it so that folks can be in their parking spot in front of their store within 5 seconds of leaving Yale?

I don't mean to hijack your thread but, yeah I think we took that playbook directly from Highway 75. Every time I drive to Dallas it pains me to slow down to 35mph through several towns. I'm looking at you Henryetta, Kiowa, Coalton and Stringtown.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 01:47:38 pm by brianh » Logged
GG
Philanthropist

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 05:39:46 pm »

I don't mean to hijack your thread but, yeah I think we took that playbook directly from Highway 75. Every time I drive to Dallas it pains me to slow down to 35mph through several towns. I'm looking at you Henryetta, Kiowa, Coalton and Stringtown.

That's their revenue source.   Traffic fines for speeding through their towns. 

Trust but verify
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 09:08:36 pm »

I was thinking similar thoughts the other day when I went down south Memorial and saw that at least two more traffic lights were being put in, I think one for the car dealerships and another for the Super Target.  As much traffic that needs to be going through there to keep things running smooth, and they are just slowing it down with light after light after light.  So there are now, what, seven traffic lights between 91st and 111th?  I only pass through from time to time, there could be more.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 09:44:30 pm »

Unfortunately, it's probably too late to do anything else with Memorial.  That's why I take Riverside/Delaware/121st home from work unless I have business (bank) on Yale.  The time I go to work (secret) generally has acceptable traffic levels on northbound Memorial to the Turnpike. Of course there are always the drivers that got their license from a cereal box.

bacjz00
Civic Leader

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 10:07:01 pm »

I know it's a city.  I know there will be traffic.  But it still does not excuse poor planning and design.  Other places have figured this out...but Tulsa never gets these things right. 

Maybe the sales taxes are just too much of an incentive to tell these retailers to design their "centers" differently.  Or maybe these centers aren't really master planned at all, but just a grouping of individually planned stores who have no reason to partner up on the costs of an actual develompent instead of a sea of asphalt only 6 feet from the curbside.

I'm not saying we need miles of frontage roads or anything, but where it makes sense to, lets look ahead a little and see where we're better off providing a single entrance to a development or general area.  Of course then we might not be able to see the giant parking lot that IS the Super Target.  Sometimes I wonder if they're more interested in us seeing the front of their store or just the acres of available parking that could be ours if we only make that turn.

I think I might be getting burb fever.   At least in midtown I don't EXPECT to get anywhere quick.  Hell that part of town has been developed for over 75 years.   But south tulsa has no excuse for continuing these habits when there is so much room to design properly.

PepePeru
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 09:01:22 am »

I can assure you I can get around mid-town faster than I could ever dream of in South Tulsa.

You just need to know the roads well enough or just take a chance once in a while through some neighborhoods.

I agree w/ you.  It seems the City has essentially rubber stamped any design the big boxes submitted.  You have all these stores, all facing different directions, all set back from the street at different distances. 

If the demographics are there (which they must be, considering the amount of big box stores in that area), the stores are wanting to build there.  The city enforcing a modicum of zoning / design standardization is not going to stop this development from occurring.

The sad thing is, a little foresight and planning could have made this area of the City something special instead of this jumbled tangled mess of parking lots, unsafe streets, traffic jams and ugly shopping centers.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 10:38:12 am »

Tulsa consistently fails at all things city planning related.  So long as you have a huge sprawling surface parking lot in front of a faceless box of retail you're good to go.  We can always just make the roads wider or encourage people to move further out of the city . . .

*sigh*

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 04:24:23 pm »

Our city's general operating fund is too starved for cash under the current system.  That is a huge part of why we capitulate to the demands of these people.   Folks running the city actually fear we will miss out on crucial tax dollars if we ask developers to make any sort of concessions or alterations to their plans which are specifically formulated to be as cheaply constructed, visually appalling, car oriented, brightly lit, and traffic snarling as any city is weak enough to allow.

All of our basic services seem to be tied to whoring ourselves out to retail development.  We need different revenue streams not tied to the volatile and abusive retail market. 

I'm not ready to cry out for higher taxes, but something about our way of raising revenue and budgeting essential services needs to change to where we aren't afraid to say NO to potential developers' "spineless city" option.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 08:21:15 pm »

Tulsa consistently fails at all things city planning related.  So long as you have a huge sprawling surface parking lot in front of a faceless box of retail you're good to go.  We can always just make the roads wider or encourage people to move further out of the city . . .

*sigh*

I would love it if people started moving back to the city.  Most of the new developments have the houses so close they might as well be in the city.  As the big box stores fail from lack of business, make the stores (or landlords) tear down the buildings and restore the land to its previous condition.  Make a green belt along the arterials.  That plus a little help from Patrick with light pollution and maybe I could see the stars lower than 40 degrees above the horizon to the north again. The streets down here would last a lot longer and wouldn't need to be wider.  If I have to drive a few miles to the grocery store, so what.  It was that way when we moved here.  I'll just have to buy more than tonight's dinner to make the trip worthwhile. 

bacjz00
Civic Leader

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 03:28:58 pm »

*sigh*

Nailed it.

Easy to see how the street conditions continue to decline so rapidly when our lane miles continue to outpace our population by a gazillion to 1.  WHAT IS BEING DONE TO STOP THIS?Huh!!!  It's happening right in front of our eyes and yet no one seems to give a damn except a handful of educated civic-minded message board junkies. 

I'm having a bad day.

It sucks because I WANT to live here, but I've never been less proud to invite others to come visit.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 07:07:30 pm »

It sucks because I WANT to live here, but I've never been less proud to invite others to come visit.

Every place has its good and bad points.  I do need to ask why you WANT to live here if it's so terrible.  I could understand if you were trapped by family or finances but you claim to want to be here.  Why?  There must be something you like.  What is it?  Maybe thinking about whatever is good will improve your day.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 08:15:45 pm »

Every place has its good and bad points.  I do need to ask why you WANT to live here if it's so terrible.  I could understand if you were trapped by family or finances but you claim to want to be here.  Why?  There must be something you like.  What is it?  Maybe thinking about whatever is good will improve your day.
I didn't intentionally end up here, but it's pretty nice. (Better than Little Rock, other than the politics, IMO)

However, bringing people here is a little embarrassing, if only because they always wonder why the roads are so bad. I don't know if I mentioned this here, but I was in the Dominican Republic last month, and the roads there were better in every way but drainage. In town, out of town, in the resort, out of the resort, all better in surface quality.

Some of the unpaved roads were smoother than some of the worse roads here in Tulsa.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 09:52:01 pm »

I didn't intentionally end up here, but it's pretty nice. (Better than Little Rock, other than the politics, IMO)

However, bringing people here is a little embarrassing, if only because they always wonder why the roads are so bad. I don't know if I mentioned this here, but I was in the Dominican Republic last month, and the roads there were better in every way but drainage. In town, out of town, in the resort, out of the resort, all better in surface quality.

Some of the unpaved roads were smoother than some of the worse roads here in Tulsa.

My being here is somewhat by chance too.  My dad accepted an oil company transfer here (yes, long time ago) and I followed.  After I finished college and did 4 years in the US Navy I came back and went to TU.  I decided the Tulsa area was not too bad so I stayed.  I stayed in spite of such representation as Jim Jones and Mike Synar.  I liked them about as much as many of the more vocal posters here like Jim Inhofe.  I actually thought David Boren was OK.

There are some really bad roads here for sure.  I don't think the Dominican Republic has quite the same road maintenance issues as Tulsa.  I also understand the lower class in the DR makes the poor in Tulsa look well off.  Maybe they spend their money on roads for the tourists and let the poor fend for themselves.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 11:10:57 pm »

There are some really bad roads here for sure.  I don't think the Dominican Republic has quite the same road maintenance issues as Tulsa.  I also understand the lower class in the DR makes the poor in Tulsa look well off.  Maybe they spend their money on roads for the tourists and let the poor fend for themselves.
I wasn't just talking about the touristy roads. To be sure the roads in the resort were pretty darn nice.

Ironically, if you make what a poor person does here over there, you can actually afford things like health care. It doesn't take a lot to live decently. On the other hand, the destitute are in much worse shape. On the gripping hand, the weather is much nicer for living on the street.

Honestly, I think the climate is just a cop-out for most of us being cheapskates. The noise about the terrible roads and bridges being made up by the media a few years back when the statewide bond issue was on the ballot (and failed to pass) convinced me of that. Yes, I did hear someone say it was a conspiracy between the government, the media, and the construction companies to fleece the taxpayers and that the roads here aren't bad. It amazes me how blind some people can be when ideology and reality conflict. (I'm sure others would say the same about me)

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org