A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:25:10 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wolfgang Puck opening restaurant in Brookside  (Read 16097 times)
swake
T-Town Elder

« on: August 29, 2009, 08:43:23 am »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?subjectid=53&articleid=20090829_53_E1_Thisar429727

Should be good.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 09:19:29 am »

Franchise....Same owner as Full Moon.....

joiei
City Father

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 10:53:55 am »

I think it will make a good addition to Brookside.  At least it isn't down south.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
pmcalk
City Mother
City Father

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 11:39:27 am »

What happened to Cosmos?

OpenYourEyesTulsa
Civic Leader

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 03:00:47 pm »

Cosmos will be next door.  It is a huge building.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 05:04:07 pm »

Please keep your eye on the Puck.

Power is nothing till you use it.
orion
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 03:49:37 pm »

It may or may not end like another Fords...time will tell
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 06:43:01 pm »

Long-term success doesn't seem to be a common thing on Brookside.  What could change this trend?

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 07:15:45 pm »

Long-term success doesn't seem to be a common thing on Brookside.  What could change this trend?

Brook? ITR? Crow Creek? M.A. Doran? Aberson's? Mecca?

Someone else want to turn this pitch into a grand-slam?  I'm too tired to rebut Brookside negativity tonight.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
FOTD
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 12:02:30 am »

The devil just wonders if Tony Henry has pulled a fast one over on Miranda and Phil. The Delta space seems to be divided into two competing similar uses. And the Blue Moon a block down only means same uses up and down the street competing for the sandwich eaters. Why couldn't just one health food eatery open?

FOTD hopes the best for both these tenants but can't help wondering about full disclosure.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 12:06:19 am by FOTD » Logged
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 06:58:34 am »

Brookside is a tricky area to figure out. At this point in time, it doesnt just cater to the people who live around it.  It is a destination type area which pulls from all over the city and beyond. But that is one factor that helps to make it so "restless".  Depending on how; in or out of fashion the area is, where the next hip area is, how the economy is doing, etc. can greatly influence how well Brookside does.

Couple of other factors to consider. The population in and around Mid-town and downtown is going up as more infill happens, and I suspect this demographic is one these types of restaurants will cater to.   Wolfgang Puck itself could bring a bit more cache' and up the draw for the area increasing its "destination" status. Also, I suspect there might even be some overflow from Downtowns growing attractions. There may be people who going to a BOK Concert, dont eat downtown, but rather eat nearby on Brookside.

Anyway, time will tell.  I for one would like to see more shopping. But even here you see them frequently go out of business. My opinion on that is. A. some of them were not the best shops in the first place. B. There still arent enough of them to make it a shopping destination for me. I sometimes go into the shops there, but I dont go there to shop unless the store happens to be a destination store or one that has something in particular I want. Having about 4 or 5 more good shops, or galleries would be enough to make it a true shopping strip/destination. Right now its still in a tricky phase of, not having quite enough there to make it interesting enought to go there just to shop.

I suspect this area will always be restless. But I have noticed the trajectory over the last decade or so is definitely a steadily positive one. Just my feeling and impressions.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 07:02:34 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 08:23:11 am »

On top of what Conan said about many businesses doing well . . .

Most restaurants fail within 3 years.  While the cliche about 90% failing is just flat out wrong, the truth is still discouraging for restaurateurs, mom-and pop shops predictably drag the average way down.    However, betting on expensive space and a high-dollar remodel in a trendy part of town is also a big gamble. 

The real numbers are:

25% close or change ownership within one year (think creditors taking it over).

60% fail within three years.

http://www.businessweek.com/smallbiz/content/apr2007/sb20070416_296932.htm

Now consider how many McDonald's or TGI's are built with nearly rock solid market research and very rarely fail. Those institutions drag the averages up and, unfortunately, constitute a large portion of the American restaurant business.  So statistically, opening a restaurant is a risky venture.

Hence, it is not surprising to see high turnover in a highly competitive Brookside marketplace. 

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 10:04:05 am »

Why is it everytime I read "Wolfgang" my mind takes it literally?

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 10:11:28 am »

Why is it everytime I read "Wolfgang" my mind takes it literally?

I always think this:

I think this is great.  I hope they both succeed and bring more and more to Brookside.
dbacks fan
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 10:44:56 am »

Here is the info from his Bistro in Charlotte NC. Seems to be towards the higher end on prices to me. Have not been to one so I won't speculate on the quality.

http://www.wolfgangpuck.com/restaurants/casual-dining/Wolfgang-Puck-Bistros/7547/section-menu
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org