A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:20:33 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PlaniTulsa surveys falling shorter than expected and where are the TYPRos?  (Read 14446 times)
DowntownNow
« on: June 06, 2009, 05:29:02 pm »

Early this week I heard from PlaniTulsa leaders that out of the 20,000 surveys the PlaniTulsa group was hoping to receive, only a little over 1,100 had been collected thus far; causing some concern among the effort's leaders. 

I have submitted mine after a lengthy study.  The question I have is this:

Why are more people not submitting the surveys?

Is it a lack of interest?
A thought their voices won't be heard?
The plans are not representative of what they want to see?
Just have not gotten around to it yet?

Also, this popped into my head. 

TYPros, an organization comprised of Tulsa's young professionals and formed by the Tulsa Chamber with a goal to better life in Tulsa for the younger set, boasts a membership of 5,000+.   Those surveys collected so far represents approximately 20% of the stated TYPros membership and I'm guessing many of those submitted were by other people than TYPros. 

So it begs the question...why is TYPros not doing more to promote the return of surveys for a plan that would have great impact on their stated mission? 

If there is anyone in TYPros on here, perhaps you can answer why the lack of interest and if there is anything that is being done among your organization to improve upon the number of surveys submitted by the membership?

I believe unless you submit a survey, you have little reason to later question the path Tulsa chooses to move forward with.  I hope you all submit your surveys as well.
jiminy
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 10:52:25 am »

I didn't get one
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 01:57:38 pm »

The survey is available on line:

http://www.planitulsa.org/whichwaytulsa

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
jiminy
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 03:30:41 pm »

I went with B - develop the main streets.  As for why more people aren't doing the survey, a couple of things: a lot of people don't know who or what Planitulsa is, esp. whether or not they have the power to actually influence the direction Tulsa goes.  My perception is that the people/entities that have that power pretty much do what they want to do.  And 2nd, the survey seems slanted towards making you choose the scenario that Planitulsa clearly wants. 
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 05:01:00 pm »

I dont think people understand the importance of this. There should be a media blitz about it TV, Radio, Newspapers. Even the TW article in this Sundays paper doesnt at all convey the importance and what this could mean for the city. Perhaps the media itself doesnt know. This could have been something TN could have done, educated the media, the reporters and such on how this would be important, the effects it would have etc. So that they could convey with urgency, its importance. I think we just assumed they would get it, or that PlaniTulsa would get the word out, but it hasnt happened that way. Perhaps we should call a media conference here real quick like.

I would have had,,, and yes I know everyone hates them, those yard signs and such around town and banners saying "NEW COMPREHENSIVE PLAN! vote now to decide Tulsas future!" There really isnt any general public awareness. Most of the people I talk to have no clue and have never heard of this. The headline in the TW saying "Survey seeks future views" doesnt sound important at all. Yet this is one of the most important descisions we can make for the city.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 02:02:52 pm »

I was excited to see a big article about the PLANiTULSA surveys in the Sunday Tulsa World.  Of course, my excitement soon turned to mild dismay when I realized that the TW didn't make it clear that this is a CITY of TULSA plan.  Not a regional plan.  Not an INCOG plan. 

In an act of "journalism by intelligent design" they found 4 people, one to support each survey.  Two of them were from Owasso.  (One Owassoan was especially excited about Scenario A...where most new jobs, housing and taxes would go to the burbs, and 99% of transportation dollars would be spent on roads.  Of course.)

This caused me some concern b/c the survey does not ask for a zip code.  (I guess I'd like to know that most folks who participate actually reside in Tulsa!)

Of course, I know many folks who live in the burbs and love Tulsa...especially downtown/midtown.  So I'll hope that most "outsiders" who complete a survey do it b/c they sincerely care about Tulsa.  Fingers crossed....
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 02:17:01 pm »

And 2nd, the survey seems slanted towards making you choose the scenario that Planitulsa clearly wants. 
Where do you get that?  There's no advantage for the consulting team to create something that Tulsans don't want.  Indeed, that would only result in headaches for everyone. 

Whenever I've heard any member of the consulting team speak about the scenarios, they are very non-biased and non-judgemental.  They've gathered data, run models and presented the information.  (So you can judge what's best.) 

They will tell you that the scenarios are "crash test dummies."  They want real feedback from people.  They want to know what Tulsans like and don't like about the various concepts...so they can take the best concepts and run with it...confident that it will have the support of a majority of Tulsans.  (Rather than being hijacked by contentious fights further down the road.)

If you look at the data and see that certain proposals will benefit Tulsa more than others, that's just life.  Not all ideas are created equal.  Different plans will have different outcomes.  In this case, it's nice to see the data up front.  (Instead of just living with the sad consequences of decisions that were made 30 years ago--and never re-evaluated--as we've been doing for decades.)
Ihearttacos
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 02:17:44 pm »

I filled out a survey weeks ago and have had several people tell me about it since, including an in office email.  I forwarded it on to other Tulsans as well.  I also have heard blurbs on the news and on NPR.  I don't understand how there are only about 1,200 or so completed, hopefully by now this number is improved...  
brianh
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 02:31:41 pm »

Never heard of this, did it only come out in the Tulsa World?  I don't even know anyone who gets that paper.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 03:05:37 pm »

Off the top of my head, it's been covered by all local TV stations, TGOV, the Tulsa World, the Urban Tulsa Weekly, the Journal Record, the Tulsa Business Journal, KRMG, KFAQ, and KWGS...  Not to mention a lot of outreach by community and neighborhood groups...

Oh yeah, and this forum has been talking about it for months.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 06:00:49 pm »

Off the top of my head, it's been covered by all local TV stations, TGOV, the Tulsa World, the Urban Tulsa Weekly, the Journal Record, the Tulsa Business Journal, KRMG, KFAQ, and KWGS...  Not to mention a lot of outreach by community and neighborhood groups...

Oh yeah, and this forum has been talking about it for months.

At this point in the discussion, would proper etiquette dictate the disclosure of being on the Citizens Team Committee, if anyone taking part is, that is?

http://www.planitulsa.org/participating

Not that I really give a damn.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 06:03:22 pm by Double A » Logged

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 02:14:54 pm »

Advice to AA:

"Once the horse is dead, dismount."

Didn't we cover this in great detail last year? 

If anyone does "give a damn" but doesn't already know, I'm on it.  Of course, most folks who care already know that.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 11:38:25 am »

I've been informed that plan A is pulling way ahead of all the others.

This means status quo.

So is all of Owasso and Broken Arrow voting in this thing?
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 12:01:47 pm »

I've been informed that plan A is pulling way ahead of all the others.

This means status quo.

So is all of Owasso and Broken Arrow voting in this thing?

What measures are in place to ensure that the only people filling out the survey are citizens of Tulsa and not suburbanites or the same person filling out several surveys?

---Robert
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 02:57:40 pm »

I wonder if developers, builders and realtors have organized to move the results to scenario A.

The people that took time out of their day to attend the seminars and planning meetings clearly steered away from "A" in what seemed to be full consensus. Something odd is going on that it is now the most popular choice.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org