A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:34:55 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Democrat should run for Mayor?  (Read 15282 times)
pmcalk
City Mother
City Father

« on: June 05, 2009, 03:47:40 pm »

Now that the Mayor has announced her withdrawal, it leaves the democrats in a bit of a pinch.  There have already been several republicans testing the waters, and I imagine we will get at least two or three running.  But what about democrats?  Who could run?  I don't expect the two democratic Councilors will run or could win.  Whom does that leave?

Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 04:42:09 pm »

Elliott Nelson? Honestly, I have no idea of his political affiliation/aspirations, but he does own multiple bars and that's not something that fits well with the current far-right wing repub majority. So, I'm assuming he would be a Dem. Does he have any political goals? I bet he does, but maybe not quite so soon. Just throwing it out there.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 05:57:48 pm »

I don't expect the two democratic Councilors will run or could win. 

There are three democratic councilors...Henderson, Troyer and Patrick.

There are many good democrats who could run...from the state legislature...Tom Adelson, Lucky Lamons, Jeannie McDaniel, Judy Eason-McIntyre...even state insurance Commissioner Kim Holland...

There are good democrats in business in Tulsa...Sharon King Davis, Georgianna Oliver, Marilyn Ihloffe, Patty Eaton.

Power is nothing till you use it.
MichaelBates
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 09:58:23 pm »

David Patrick and Elliot Nelson are both registered independents.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 08:43:33 am »

I bet there are a few wild cards out there. I think Lucky Lamons would be the most likely candidate. Adelson is interested in running for AG from what I've heard. Eric Proctor could be another potential candidate. Out of the list of names discussed so far, Lamons or Proctor would have the best chances of winning the general election, IMO.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
waterboy
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 09:11:34 am »

I like Lucky and his background in public service is spotless. He is well educated and approachable. Lamons is well known in the older parts of town, near downtown, and West, but not so well known and attractive to the solid red, southern coat and tie regions of Tulsa. That negative may be balanced out with his TPD experience.

Business background always sounds good but generally means lots of crony baggage and sketchy integrity.

I can't imagine a solid Dem winning without having serious charisma and falling within the "lite" category. The only reason Taylor was elected was her Demo/lite, Repub/lite status and the dissatisfaction with LaFortune. I do think Lamons can squeeze into that category.

edit: I want to be the first to throw out another name of a perennial that I enjoy watching. Roscoe Turner. I don't always agree with him but he solidly represents a large portion of the city and understands the city processes. He is indeed a man of the people who can communicate with different levels yet retain his perspective. At the very least he needs to be on the city council.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 09:21:24 am by waterboy » Logged
tim huntzinger
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 09:13:29 am »

ANY Democrat ior Independent who runs will receive my vote and unqualified support over any Republican.  I have not abandoned that rule at all. Yet.
FOTD
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 12:35:13 pm »

Tom Baker
Karen Keith
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 12:45:30 pm »

I like Lucky and his background in public service is spotless. He is well educated and approachable. Lamons is well known in the older parts of town, near downtown, and West, but not so well known and attractive to the solid red, southern coat and tie regions of Tulsa. That negative may be balanced out with his TPD experience.

I doubt he would backtrack to the local level.  He's an instrument of the police unions and I imagine they want to keep him at the state level.

Karen Kieth, perhaps.  Better name recognition and community trust. 

Rocky Turner as well.  Always liked his attitude and the way he relates to people on a more sincere level.   
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 12:49:00 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
ILUVTulsa
Activist

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 04:00:22 pm »

Karen Kieth, perhaps.  Better name recognition and community trust. 

KK?  Oh, fo' shure!!!  SS Redux!

Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 09:56:04 pm »

edit: I want to be the first to throw out another name of a perennial that I enjoy watching. Roscoe Turner. I don't always agree with him but he solidly represents a large portion of the city and understands the city processes. He is indeed a man of the people who can communicate with different levels yet retain his perspective. At the very least he needs to be on the city council.

Hells yeah! Roscoe already announced he will run for Council though or I would have brought it up. Roscoe Turner could be a serious contender for Mayor. I know several rock ribbed Republicans, who would never vote Democratic otherwise, that would cross party lines to vote for Roscoe.

<center>
</center>
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 10:00:42 pm »

Tom Baker
Karen Keith

I just threw up in my mouth a little a little bit.

How about a little warning before doubling down on our gag reflexes? Sheesh.

<center>
</center>
OurTulsa
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 10:32:37 pm »

Roscoe?  Just kidding?

As a City Councilor he looked out for his constituents.

He can be a nice guy...but Mayor? 

A Mayor should be a good manager, forward thinking, creative, have good networks, have good communications skills. 

I can't imagine he'd have City-wide appeal.

I could be a Lucky fan.

monterey1967
Citizen

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 12:38:02 am »

Hells yeah! Roscoe already announced he will run for Council though or I would have brought it up. Roscoe Turner could be a serious contender for Mayor. I know several rock ribbed Republicans, who would never vote Democratic otherwise, that would cross party lines to vote for Roscoe.

i'm a 'rock ribbed republican' and i'd vote for roscoe in a new york minute.  he would be any fair minded voters choice.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 05:32:03 am »

i'm a 'rock ribbed republican' and i'd vote for roscoe in a new york minute.  he would be any fair minded voters choice.

I consider myself fair-minded and I wouldn't vote for him.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org