A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:06:33 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wolf Camera Closing  (Read 11517 times)
mjchamplin
« on: March 30, 2009, 09:18:07 pm »

They'll be closing both the stores (21st and Lewis, 51st and Harvard).  Liquidation begins Friday.
Wilbur
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 04:48:11 am »

I've always wondered how long they could last with the death of the film camera.

That, and their ridiculously high prices spelled doom.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 12:31:12 pm »

I've always wondered how long they could last with the death of the film camera.

That, and their ridiculously high prices spelled doom.

No kidding. I was looking for a new digital camera for my wife and decided to take a look at the Wolf on 21st. The camera I was looking at was $30 more there than it was at Target or Wal-Mart
dbacks fan
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 01:39:22 pm »

I agree on the over pricing of products and to and extent the smaller number of us "old school film photographers", I have a digital and a 35mm Nikon and it depends on what I'm photographing as to which one I use. I wish that I still had my medium format (2"x2" negative). I have to admit the digital gets more use but still love the warmth of film.

Here is an article about Wolf:
http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/stories/2009/03/23/daily59.html
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 03:10:52 pm »

I used to love Wolf camera.  I went there all the time to shop for equipment and then go back to my office and buy it on Ebay.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
mobboss
Activist

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 04:03:10 pm »

i always liked the Mazzios at that corner....

PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 04:05:27 pm »

I used to love Wolf camera.  I went there all the time to shop for equipment and then go back to my office and buy it on Ebay.

Well, that probably explains why they're closing...

Although I do purchase things online, I'm often willing to spend a few extra bucks if I can buy something from a local store.  Especially if it's locally-owned. 

I'm often tempted by better prices online, but I like to think about local purchases as an investment in the local economy: bringing tax dollars and jobs to my own city...which is reinvested again and again...locally.

Wolf Camera was a great place to get professional prints made...where actual human beings could use their expertise to tinker with exposures and colors, to make the best possible print.  I also used them for making copies of historic photos that have been in my family for almost a hundred years.  (I sure wouldn't want to send those out to some internet company.)

Here's a nice little list of reasons for supporting local businesses:
http://www.sconnect.org/thinklocal/why/

And here's an interesting summary of economic impact research related to shopping at locally-owned stores vs. national chains:
http://www.newrules.org/retail/bigboxstudies.pdf
dbacks fan
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 04:16:46 pm »

The places I used to buy equipment and supplies from were Englers downtown on Boston, Camera Gallery when it was at Fontana the at Woodland and Looboyle. The place I had do my processing was PIC Photo Lab at 21st and Memorial. My dad and brother got into doing team and indvidual pictures for sports in the early 70's about the time that PIC opened. They did a lot of great custom work for us.
mobboss
Activist

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 04:33:36 pm »

is Wolf actually a local business or part of a bigger chain?

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 04:45:15 pm »

is Wolf actually a local business or part of a bigger chain?
It's a chain. Wolf is one of several brands Ritz operates under.

Apparently, they also own Boater's World.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 04:47:22 pm by nathanm » Logged

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Hawkins
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 07:33:57 pm »

It's a chain. Wolf is one of several brands Ritz operates under.

Apparently, they also own Boater's World.

Its funny that you say that.

This is perhaps the most embarrassing thing I've ever posted on here... but here goes.

I have NO knowledge of Cameras or Boats. When that Boaters World place was put up on 71st Street (the building was later purchased by Said Music), I seriously had no clue that there was a camera store connected to it.

I thought a "Ritz Camera" Pronounced Ca-ma-ra was some brand of expensive boat.

Never pulled into the parking lot, and never imagined that a Camera store was connected to the boat dealer.  Smiley

rwarn17588
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 02:13:01 pm »

Well, that probably explains why they're closing...

Although I do purchase things online, I'm often willing to spend a few extra bucks if I can buy something from a local store.  Especially if it's locally-owned. 

Wolf was a chain. And not a very good one.

We switched our film needs to Apertures, which is truly a locally owned and Oklahoma-based business.
textuality
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 11:44:02 am »

As a former employee of Ritz/Wolf with 8 years of service (Left the company in '06) I can definitely say that I am not at all surprised by the bankruptcy of Ritz camera. When I started with the company (Before Ritz bought out Wolf) it was an excellent company to work for and I would have recommended anyone shop there and have their photofinishing processed there. However, after Ritz took over the company went downhill fast. It seemed that there was one scheme after another to rip off the customer and their employee's. They blame their fall on "The Internet" and "Digital Cameras" but I have no doubt that this company could have been easily saved if they would have concentrated on helping the customer rather than scamming them. I do not miss working for this company, I do however miss the customers. We had excellent dedicated customers and I loved helping them with their questions and sharing their memories with them. Just as a side note I had actually mentioned to a regular customer how unhappy i was working for the company the way it was being ran and he actually hired me to work for him! Too bad Ritz camera could not see good employees when they had them, apparently the customers could. If they would have treated their employees like human beings (Instead of sales machines) maybe they would have been able to keep their knowledgeable, helpful sales staff and their loyal customers along with them.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 01:42:57 pm »

I think they got a rep as one of those companies who would sell you a cheap digital camera then call and say they need to sell you another $100 in rechargeable batteries and table top tripods, etc.
mjchamplin
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 01:56:56 pm »

I think textuality hits it on the head.

I'm an employee at one of the closing stores, and there's no question in my mind about it. The company is poorly run. It treats its employees poorly and seeks to make money at the expense of its customers. I have no respect for the company.

Go to Apertures--it's what I do...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org