A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 10:44:31 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Rose wins Rivers Edge Location...  (Read 101418 times)
dbacks fan
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2009, 10:19:36 am »

I may be a bit biased with my interest in mid-century modern design, the new BRC looks very MCM to me, ergo I like it quite well.

You're right, my bad. I to am a fan of MCM having gone to school with friends who grew up in Lortondale. I love the fact that Phoenix has a MCM area that is preserved as a historical area. Wasn't there another area near the old Apache Drive In near Apache and Harvard that was also MCM? It was Just south and east of TCC.

Anyway, BOT. I credit Nelson for including the look of the new BOK Center, it just seemed too intrusive to the park. I just tend to think the BRC wants to keep the park enviroment in front. I tihink it lends itself to promoting events in the park, or come have lunch and then walk it off on the trails.
dbacks fan
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2009, 10:28:51 am »

Some mor info from Urban Tulsa
 http://www.urbantulsa.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A27002

Just wish they had more of the site plan drawings, and they intend to keep Rivers Edge as a freestanding part of the BRC.

"There are many components to this," Dittus said. "It's a unique lease negotiation situation because it's publicly owned land. So our ability to create a viable entity down there depends on a lot of different factors. For us to maximize our ability to create tax revenue for the city depends on the hours we can operate. So there's the curfew issue to be discussed."

Another point up for negotiation is the fate of the existing River's Edge building, the small facility from which a self-service restaurant was run at the site from 1996 to 2008. Dittus said the Swamphouse group would like to maintain that entity as a freestanding addition to the Blue Rose, serving as a place where park users could purchase items without coming to the restaurant.

"We want to enhance the River Parks as it exists by catering to not just the people we'll be bringing in to the restaurant, but the people who already use the park," he said. "Eventually, we'd like to open a skate rental and bike rental and give people the opportunity for an energy bar or a bottle of water."

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2009, 11:07:47 am »

You're right, my bad. I to am a fan of MCM having gone to school with friends who grew up in Lortondale. I love the fact that Phoenix has a MCM area that is preserved as a historical area. Wasn't there another area near the old Apache Drive In near Apache and Harvard that was also MCM? It was Just south and east of TCC.

Anyway, BOT. I credit Nelson for including the look of the new BOK Center, it just seemed too intrusive to the park. I just tend to think the BRC wants to keep the park enviroment in front. I tihink it lends itself to promoting events in the park, or come have lunch and then walk it off on the trails.

That's actually off Mohawk Blvd. near Harvard or maybe further west.  I think it was called Lakeside or something like that.  It's near the old incinerator house along Bird Creek, I think.  Been awhile since I cruised through that hood.  It was getting very rough.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
m_talon
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2009, 11:35:54 am »

Does anyone know exactly where the restaurant is to be located? In the rendering it looks like it will be built partly over the river. But they might keep the River's Edge location? Add 30 parking spaces? There is a nice little seating area turnout, the former River's Edge and a playground all in that area. Are those all staying? While I do want river development I can't say I wanted it to be on that kind of scale. I can't visualize how this will work.

Judging from the location, it looks like it's just north/west of the 23rd bridge.

Google Maps shows just trees and a parking lot in that area.  I'm guessing they'll expand that lot and landscape.

Oh, and 300 yards isn't even a fifth of a mile.  That seems like a reasonable request to keep the roach coaches away without impinging on other uses.
Stone
Activist

« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2009, 06:54:23 am »

As of today, they still have not broken ground on this. Don't think they're going to make their goal of " patrons eating burgers and other meals by Feb 15". Hope this doesn't drag out long. I love that area and miss the River's Edge.

DowntownNow
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2009, 05:28:24 pm »

QUESTION:

A little birdy recently told me that Dittus may be balking at the originally proposed pier style design for the new Blue Rose due to cost considerations.  It was also relayed that those considerations were never fully explored prior to the proposal.  True, this is heresay but for the sake of argument...

That proposal was one of two, the other presented by Elliott Nelson.  In March, Dittus projected the startup costs, which include construction, at $392,000. An additional $250,000 will be added from the 2006 third-penny sales tax for infrastructure improvements (Tulsa World).

So, if he were to change the design, would that have possibly changed the minds of the Tulsa River Parks Authority in their selection?  Would it have changed yours?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2009, 08:53:20 pm »

QUESTION:

A little birdy recently told me that Dittus may be balking at the originally proposed pier style design for the new Blue Rose due to cost considerations.  It was also relayed that those considerations were never fully explored prior to the proposal.  True, this is heresay but for the sake of argument...

That proposal was one of two, the other presented by Elliott Nelson.  In March, Dittus projected the startup costs, which include construction, at $392,000. An additional $250,000 will be added from the 2006 third-penny sales tax for infrastructure improvements (Tulsa World).

So, if he were to change the design, would that have possibly changed the minds of the Tulsa River Parks Authority in their selection?  Would it have changed yours?

Only thing I'll add is I've been skeptical that total start-up and construction could be done for $392K ever since it was announced.  I'm wondering if they threw a dart at costs at the last minute to meet the RFP deadline and someone missed about $200 to $300K in costs.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Ihearttacos
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2009, 10:40:54 am »

Judging from the location, it looks like it's just north/west of the 23rd bridge.

Google Maps shows just trees and a parking lot in that area.  I'm guessing they'll expand that lot and landscape.

Oh, and 300 yards isn't even a fifth of a mile.  That seems like a reasonable request to keep the roach coaches away without impinging on other uses.

Location of Restaurant is west of the existing parking lot and there is an extension of the existing parking lot to the north. 
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2009, 01:20:48 pm »

I was thrown by their cost estimates too. It wouldn't suprise me one bit if the pier work alone cost 100-150 thousand.  Not like they are making a deck out in your back yard. What really floored me was the time estimate for completion. It was absolutely absurd. Noooo way. I hope they get it done, but I would guess the cost to easily be around 600,000 to do something well, in relation to the rendering they have.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2009, 01:25:17 pm »

I was thrown by their cost estimates too. It wouldn't suprise me one bit if the pier work alone cost 100-150 thousand.  Not like they are making a deck out in your back yard. What really floored me was the time estimate for completion. It was absolutely absurd. Noooo way. I hope they get it done, but I would guess the cost to easily be around 600,000 to do something well, in relation to the rendering they have.

Our estimates might even be conservative, more I think about everything that would go into building and equipping such a venture.  FAIK, the only thing Tom kept from his Brookside location was the sign and rights to the name.  I believe all equipment stayed put, so it's not like he's got a warehouse full of restaurant equipment sitting around, that I'm aware of.

Stone
Activist

« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2009, 06:37:25 am »

Piers OK for riverside cafe
With river-building approval obtained, work on the Blue Rose Cafe is set to begin in early 2010.

By P.J. LASSEK World Staff Writer
Published: 11/29/2009  2:19 AM
Last Modified: 11/29/2009  4:12 AM

The Army Corps of Engineers has cleared the way for the Blue Rose Cafe to sit on piers overlooking the Arkansas River just north of the 21st Street Bridge.

Construction is expected to begin after the first of the year on the full-service restaurant nestled along the river's east bank.

"There is a real buzz out there and people are getting real excited," said Tom Dittus, the owner of the Blue Rose Cafe, which once was a popular spot on Brookside in the 1990s.

"The visibility of the project is just amazing. It's going to be a real jewel down there," he said. "I just can't believe I get to do this."

Completion of the restaurant is planned for late spring or early summer.

"I'm working with some really smart people. All I know how to do is pop cold beer and flip hamburgers," Dittus quipped.

"It's going to be a great place to hang out."

Obtaining a 404 permit from the corps, which regulates activities on the waterways, was necessary because the design has the restaurant anchored to piers set into the river bed in a small cove area, said Keith Franklin, the owner of LandPlan Consultants, which is assisting with the project.

"Now that the corps hurdle has been cleared, the project can move forward," he said.

In addition to the main restaurant, the project includes renovating the small cabana-style structure that once housed the River's Edge Bistro and Cafe.

The total project is estimated to cost $685,000, of which $250,000 will come from 2006 third-penny sales tax funds for infrastructure improvements such as lowering the trail a few feet, expanding the parking lot and extending utilities.

Of the estimated $435,000 in private funds, about $350,000 will go toward the main restaurant, the Blue Rose Cafe, and $85,000 will be used to renovate the cabana to serve trail users with takeout food and beverages, said Ted Reeds, the architect for the project.

Dittus said the cabana will be named Elwood's after the Blue Rose's penguin mascot. A naming contest was held in the mid-1990s at the Brookside site.

The renovation of Elwood's will begin this week, mostly involving cosmetic fixes with the exception of replacing the roof and repairing termite damage, Reeds said.

Not only will Elwood's be a takeout eatery, it also will sell Frisbees, suntan lotion, fishing gear, sunglasses and other park necessities, Dittus said.

"The cabana structure wasn't part of the initial plan, but it had enough presence and history that we decided to include it, knowing that it would enhance the Blue Rose experience," he said.

Reeds said the Blue Rose group will clean up and maintain the restrooms at the cabana area until the city builds a new restroom area to be located closer to 17th Street, north of the nearby playground.

Elwood's is expected to open by Christmas and will continue to feature musicians as it did before, Dittus said.

He said the Blue Rose team is going all-out on the restaurant with a great concept and location.

Reeds said the "idea of the cafe is to put it on the river — to make it part of the park and the river at the same time — bring river to land."

The restaurant deck is designed to allow patrons to overlook the river and watch the sunset or watch the activities in the park.

The Blue Rose design is "a tribute to ranch-style homes that are so prevalent in Tulsa," Reeds said.

"I think the style fits on the river. And with the horizontal lines and shallow roof pitch, it will nestle in there more comfortably rather than having a giant museum there," he said.

"We kept it simple — simple and elegant."

The concept is designed to be light and airy, with the seating area surrounded by windows that are operable for natural ventilation, Reeds said

Franklin said the alignment of the River Parks trail will not change, but it will be lowered a few feet in a section in front of the restaurant to allow trail users to go underneath a pedestrian bridge that connects the parking lot to the cafe's main entrance.

The parking lot will be raised to the level of Riverside Drive. It currently sits lower, Franklin said.

The parking lot also will be expanded to the north to include an additional 23 spaces, he said.

Trail users and patrons arriving by car will access the Blue Rose Cafe by the bridge. There also will be stair access from the lower deck near the water.

The parking lot, utility relocations and trail adjustment will be done by the city and the work is expected to occur in early 2010 through the bidding process, Franklin said.

For more than a decade, the Blue Rose Cafe was a popular restaurant in Brookside. Dittus closed the restaurant in 2001 to dedicate his time and resources to his late brother, who at the time was undergoing cancer treatments in Germany.

The cafe will offer a menu and drinks similar to its previous fare.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2009, 09:40:47 am »

I bumped into Tom outside the Soundpony Friday night and he said the time frame for Elwood's is February.  He also said there's a phase II to the project in which he hopes to include a dock on the river amongst other ideas he's got.  I'd love nothing more than to finish a workout by rowing a single racing shell over to have a beer and Blue Rose Special.  Grin

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2009, 02:05:06 pm »

But, but, but,,,, I thought we were told that the new Blue Rose restaurant was to begin construction this last Sept, and be done by February?  Huh   The papers and newscasters reported this without the slightest doubt or question while the rest of us were flabbergasted and amazed at such incredible claims.  One figured they must have had some inside info that the rest of us didn't which would have enabled the fruition of the proffered, miraculous claims?  Right?  Perhaps the reporters asked the developer how on earth he was going to be able to get the restaurant built and up and running in such an incredibly short amount of time and were told that the restaurant was already being built in a secret location and would be flown in via helicopter or something? Supriiiiiiise!  And all of the rest of you "non reporter" types thought we were crazy (or dense) for reporting those amazing claims without question (like they aaalways seem to).   Cool  

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2009, 07:29:27 am »

I bumped into Tom outside the Soundpony Friday night and he said the time frame for Elwood's is February.  He also said there's a phase II to the project in which he hopes to include a dock on the river amongst other ideas he's got.  I'd love nothing more than to finish a workout by rowing a single racing shell over to have a beer and Blue Rose Special.  Grin

Next we'll find off-duty beer cart girls in a rubber raft running the drinks out to you mid-race.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2009, 05:45:34 pm »

I'd love nothing more than to finish a workout by rowing a single racing shell over to have a beer and Blue Rose Special.  Grin
I would love nothing more than watching you try to get BACK IN your single shell after drinking. 

Don't drink and scull.  Boat flips when tipsy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org