A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:01:54 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 7-digit dialing may end  (Read 27322 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2009, 08:05:24 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Red Arrow

I don't call that many people on my cell phone. It is more trouble to learn to program it and then remember how to use the programming than to "dial" the digits.

Dial number.  Hit options/menu.  Go to "save number."  Enter in name.  Hit save.

There, you've learned how to program it.  Welcome to the 1990's.  [Tongue]

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2009, 12:35:29 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

quote:

I don't call that many people on my cell phone. It is more trouble to learn to program it and then remember how to use the programming than to "dial" the digits.

Dial number.  Hit options/menu.  Go to "save number."  Enter in name.  Hit save.

There, you've learned how to program it.  Welcome to the 1990's.  [Tongue]

Turn phone on. Dial one of about 4 or 5 memorized numbers that I call with any frequency. Press Call.  Complete conversation. Turn phone off. No menu, no muss, no fuss.

I use my phone less than 15 min per month with a few exceptions.  I have no desire to be in contact with the world 24/7.  I realize some people think they are important enough to require 24/7 connection but I also realize I am not one of those persons.  Leave a message on the land line at the house.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2009, 04:00:35 pm »

quote:

I use my phone less than 15 min per month with a few exceptions.  I have no desire to be in contact with the world 24/7.  I realize some people think they are important enough to require 24/7 connection but I also realize I am not one of those persons.  Leave a message on the land line at the house.

Heh, half the hours I bill each month are spent talking to somebody on my cell phone.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2009, 07:46:20 pm »

With a few exceptions like when driving, I don't mind people chatting their time away.  Some use a phone for a business tool. Also fine.  It's just not me.  Some people could be a little more courteous of people around them though.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2009, 09:55:02 pm »

quote:

With a few exceptions like when driving, I don't mind people chatting their time away.  Some use a phone for a business tool. Also fine.  It's just not me.  Some people could be a little more courteous of people around them though.

I don't mind people talking when driving as long as they are using a handsfree (bluetooth or some other form) when doing it.  I try to NEVER use the phone when in my car.  If I know it's going to have to be used, I'll pull over somewhere before answering or call back when I'm not in the car.  I can't tell you how many times people have nearly hit me when I'm trying to make the exit from the westbound BA onto the northbound 169 ramp because they have a phone plastered to their ear.  It oughta be outlawed unless it's a handsfree.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
joiei
City Father

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2009, 10:11:18 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hoss

quote:

I don't mind people talking when driving as long as they are using a handsfree (bluetooth or some other form) when doing it.  I try to NEVER use the phone when in my car.  If I know it's going to have to be used, I'll pull over somewhere before answering or call back when I'm not in the car.  I can't tell you how many times people have nearly hit me when I'm trying to make the exit from the westbound BA onto the northbound 169 ramp because they have a phone plastered to their ear.  It oughta be outlawed unless it's a handsfree.

I agree, we need a law.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2009, 12:13:19 am »

quote:

I don't mind people talking when driving as long as they are using a handsfree (bluetooth or some other form) when doing it

You may remember from your pilot training that it is difficult to ignore ATC and fly the plane sometimes, and you were trained to do that. Most people on the phone in the car have no such training.  

If someone is in virtually no traffic etc, then I probably couldn't object too much. I've been around too many drivers that need to pay more attention to their driving. I can hear the cries about radio and other distractions.  I have always been able to "tune out" the radio when traffic demands and resume listening when safe.  I don't think I can say the same for cell phone users, handsfree or not.

Edit:
I should clarify that in order to ignore or unreasonably delay a response to ATC, you need to be in a situation involving the safety of the flight requiring your immediate attention to flying the plane.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 07:36:46 am by Red Arrow » Logged

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2009, 12:27:26 am »

quote:

quote:

I don't mind people talking when driving as long as they are using a handsfree (bluetooth or some other form) when doing it

You may remember from your pilot training that it is difficult to ignore ATC and fly the plane sometimes, and you were trained to do that. Most people on the phone in the car have no such training.  

If someone is in virtually no traffic etc, then I probably couldn't object too much. I've been around too many drivers that need to pay more attention to their driving. I can hear the cries about radio and other distractions.  I have always been able to "tune out" the radio when traffic demands and resume listening when safe.  I don't think I can say the same for cell phone users, handsfree or not.

But, I tend to be more tolerant of those.

And yes, I still remember 'aviate, navigate, communicate'.

[Cheesy]

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2009, 12:38:17 am »

quote:

I can't tell you how many times people have nearly hit me when I'm trying to make the exit from the westbound BA onto the northbound 169 ramp because they have a phone plastered to their ear.  It oughta be outlawed unless it's a handsfree.

Some woman in a Toyota sedan nearly crashed into me earlier today just south of the BA on 169. She wasn't using a cellphone, she was just an idiot and either didn't bother looking in her mirror or doesn't know how to adjust them properly to eliminate blind spots. (I was actively passing when she decided to change lanes without signaling)

Luckily, there was enough room in the far left lane for me to move out of her way while applying the horn and braking to avoid a crash.

Not that I think people should drive around with cellphones in their ear, but there were plenty of crashes before cellphones and there still are that have nothing to do with them. Some people just can't pay the requisite amount of attention.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2010, 12:50:34 pm »

So, it's decided:

10-digit dialing for everyone.

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=11748362

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Steve
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2010, 01:00:42 pm »

So, it's decided:

10-digit dialing for everyone.

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=11748362

At least the decision has been made, after months of unnecessary delay.

When the 405 area code was used up several years ago, they did a split, rather than an overlay.  Why did they decide to go the overlay route with 918?  Maybe because of urban vs. rural population and demand for communication services.  In any event, we will adapt. 
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2010, 02:12:49 pm »

Seems odd to me you would do such a long transition period, and THEN open up new phone numbers. It would seem like opening up the new area code would help people adopt to 10 digit dialing easier.

Can I get a "Don't hate the 938" t-shirt now?
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2010, 02:20:20 pm »

Seems odd to me you would do such a long transition period, and THEN open up new phone numbers. It would seem like opening up the new area code would help people adopt to 10 digit dialing easier.

It'll be like the digital turnover.  After the transition period we'll hear "My tel-e-phone don't work no more and I want me some answers" on the local news.

Anyone else already used to a 10 digit system with a cell-phone only house? 
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2010, 02:25:24 pm »

Has the code been decided already? I hope not, that one is too close to the existing code for my taste. Makes for easy confusion.

Personally, I've been doing 10 digit dialing exclusively for years, thanks to my cell phone. It'll do 7 digits when I'm on my home system (in 479), but I'm not there much anymore, so it's pretty much always 10 digits for me. Even when I had the landline, I'd still dial 10 digits with it. It's too much trouble to remember which phones I can dial 7 digits from and which require 10 digits.

I can't even say I think of numbers much with 7 digits anymore. If someone asks me for my telephone number, it always includes the area code, regardless of whether I'm giving them one of my 479 numbers or my 918 number. I pretty much always say, "area code 10 digit number"

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2010, 02:31:06 pm »

Has the code been decided already? I hope not, that one is too close to the existing code for my taste. Makes for easy confusion.

Personally, I've been doing 10 digit dialing exclusively for years, thanks to my cell phone. It'll do 7 digits when I'm on my home system (in 479), but I'm not there much anymore, so it's pretty much always 10 digits for me. Even when I had the landline, I'd still dial 10 digits with it. It's too much trouble to remember which phones I can dial 7 digits from and which require 10 digits.

I can't even say I think of numbers much with 7 digits anymore. If someone asks me for my telephone number, it always includes the area code, regardless of whether I'm giving them one of my 479 numbers or my 918 number. I pretty much always say, "area code 10 digit number"

They said they will name the code at a later date, Grizzle was just throwing out a hypothetical number.  I'm used to the whole 10 digit thing as well.  Even when I prepare quotes for Tulsa companies, I put my area code in the sentence that says: "Feel free to call me at 918-555-1212..."

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org