A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:33:11 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa World Says We're Out of Step  (Read 40039 times)
Wilbur
« on: November 09, 2008, 07:16:39 am »

The Tulsa World says Oklahoma is 'out of step' with the rest of the country because McCain had such a huge victory in Oklahoma (largest percentage win then any other state).

First, I think I'm offended.

Second, 46% of the country must be 'out of step' too, since that's how many votes McCain got across the country.

And third, didn't the Tulsa World endorse McCain, thus encouraging everyone to vote 'out of step'?

http://www.tulsaworld.com/opinion/article.aspx?articleID=20081109_215_G6_Whilem209426
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 08:32:00 am »

I think someone needs to improve their reading comprehension skills.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 08:32:21 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
waterboy
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 09:27:34 am »

Why would you be offended?

Yes, we're out of step with all but a handful of states whose rural/urban makeup is similar to ours and who also rely on their religion to guide their vote. More importantly, we're out of step with the the rest of the world as well, and on more than just politics. So revel in it. The future of this state now rests in the kindness and benevolence of strangers (also known as "Libruls"). Our cocoon is comfy eh?

I disagree with the World editor on one point that seems obvious to all but them. We are still economically out of phase with the rest of the country. Our housing is still barely hanging on, our oil industry revenues pumped our economy while draining the rest of the country and our employment figures are not as bad either. But just like the eighties the slump will come, the disparity in wealth will be magnified and thousands of job seekers will descend upon Tulsa having believed we are still economically healthy.

Maybe they can fill the jobs the 30,000 departed Hispanic's left behind.
MDepr2007
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 10:36:53 am »

I wish they could show which contestant received the most un-educated votes and which one received the most votes from someone feeling the need to add a hyphen when calling themselves an American [Cheesy]
rwarn17588
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 10:47:12 am »

quote:
Originally posted by MDepr2007

I wish they could show which contestant received the most un-educated votes and which one received the most votes from someone feeling the need to add a hyphen when calling themselves an American [Cheesy]

Obama won the college-educated vote. Draw your own conclusions.
USRufnex
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 10:51:14 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Wilbur

The Tulsa World says Oklahoma is 'out of step' with the rest of the country because McCain had such a huge victory in Oklahoma (largest percentage win then any other state).

First, I think I'm offended.

Second, 46% of the country must be 'out of step' too, since that's how many votes McCain got across the country.

And third, didn't the Tulsa World endorse McCain, thus encouraging everyone to vote 'out of step'?

http://www.tulsaworld.com/opinion/article.aspx?articleID=20081109_215_G6_Whilem209426

45.6% of the country voted for Dukakis in 1988.  

People I met in Boston in the mid-90s reflected the same sentiments about Massacusetts being "out of step" as David Averill's article argues today.

This election has proved my theory about this state..... that Oklahoma is to the National Republican Party what Massachusetts has been to the Democrats.

I wish this state would reflect the same kinds of conservatism I saw when I lived in Indiana.... traditional conservative views that are not necessarily wedded to liberal-hating wingnut ideology and mythology...

« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 10:53:52 am by USRufnex » Logged
azbadpuppy
Philanthropist

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 12:33:49 pm »

Well, I for one am very disillusioned after this election. Although I no longer live in OK, I grew up there and most of my family still lives there. I consider Oklahoma my home state, and have very fond memories of it.

First off, watching the election results with a large group of people as Oklahoma went 'red' on the map about 5 minutes after their polls closed was interesting. Obviously there was no counting needed. Then, to have OK sit there red for hours while all the other states around it actually had to count their votes was also sobering. "Hey, what's up with Oklahoma??" everyone kept asking me. Then the real kicker came when the in-state results were announced. Inhofe and Kern both were re-elected. By a landslide.  It's bad enough that Oklahoma went higher in percentage than Utah for McCain, but that I can handle. What is incomprehensible is why Oklahomans would keep electing fear and hate mongering politicians whose only obvious base is the far religious right. This is not fair and accurate representation for all of Oklahoma, and is the reason why politics there is a national joke.

Honestly I hate to say it because I have always been a staunch advocate of my home state and hometown of Tulsa, and often have to defend both from uninformed East and West Coasters who think Oklahoma is stll nothing but a wasteland straight out of the 'Grapes of Wrath' controlled by religious zealots. But after this election and the obvious bias in Oklahoma, I can no longer dispute the facts.

I still love Oklahoma, but gone are the days where I considered moving back and reclaiming my home where my family has lived for four generations. Nobody wants to live where they feel they are not wanted. This is the very reason Oklahoma cannot attract nor retain more centric minded people. Until the citizens of Oklahoma can figure out how to separate their politics from religion, the state will always be perceived as an intolerant, regressive place to live.

Out of step? That is an understatement. Sometimes you need to take a step out and look back in to get an accurate portrayal of what is really happening. I know Oklahoma has always been conservative, but we are not talking about the true "conservative versus liberal" thinking anymore. The hijacking of politics by the religious extremists for their social agendas needs to be stopped. It is crippling for the state of Oklahoma, it is un-American and the rest of America is taking notice.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 02:09:35 pm »

quote:
Inhofe and Kern both were re-elected. By a landslide.  It's bad enough that Oklahoma went higher in percentage than Utah for McCain, but that I can handle. What is incomprehensible is why Oklahomans would keep electing fear and hate mongering politicians whose only obvious base is the far religious right.

Maybe living in Tulsa clouds our view of how out of step the rest of Oklahoma really is.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
azbadpuppy
Philanthropist

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 02:38:20 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by patric

quote:
Inhofe and Kern both were re-elected. By a landslide.  It's bad enough that Oklahoma went higher in percentage than Utah for McCain, but that I can handle. What is incomprehensible is why Oklahomans would keep electing fear and hate mongering politicians whose only obvious base is the far religious right.

Maybe living in Tulsa clouds our view of how out of step the rest of Oklahoma really is.

Yeah, I thought that too, but Tulsa county went overwhelmingly in favor of Inhofe, and voted more republican across the board than Oklahoma County.

MDepr2007
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 06:10:43 pm »

but yet there is still enough lefties to re-elect Henry.....
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 06:19:11 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by rwarn17588

quote:

Obama won the college-educated vote. Draw your own conclusions.

Obama probably won the toothless, meth-addicted homeless vote as well. Draw your own conclusions.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Neptune
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 08:06:07 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by azbadpuppy

Yeah, I thought that too, but Tulsa county went overwhelmingly in favor of Inhofe, and voted more republican across the board than Oklahoma County.

Get down to the precinct level.  Midtown precincts and North Tulsa precincts, that's the Dems stronghold.

From Tulsa World

That's fairly typical of Tulsa County.  Tight in Midtown, Burbs and South Tulsa drown out Dems.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 08:09:34 pm by Neptune » Logged
grahambino
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 10:48:02 am »

quote:

but yet there is still enough lefties to re-elect Henry.....

and i offer my praise to Limecat everyday for that fact, though Brad Henry <> "lefty".

I can't imagine this State if Largent had won.  It's going to be bad enough here in a few years, after this State is bankrupt.

inteller
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 11:03:24 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Neptune

quote:

Get down to the precinct level.  Midtown precincts and North Tulsa precincts, that's the Dems stronghold.

From Tulsa World

That's fairly typical of Tulsa County.  Tight in Midtown, Burbs and South Tulsa drown out Dems.

wow, remove the blue dots in mid town and you have a pretty good map of Tulsa's ghettos.
Wilbur
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 11:24:30 am »

quote:

Well, I for one am very disillusioned after this election. Although I no longer live in OK, I grew up there and most of my family still lives there. I consider Oklahoma my home state, and have very fond memories of it.

First off, watching the election results with a large group of people as Oklahoma went 'red' on the map about 5 minutes after their polls closed was interesting. Obviously there was no counting needed. Then, to have OK sit there red for hours while all the other states around it actually had to count their votes was also sobering. "Hey, what's up with Oklahoma??" everyone kept asking me. Then the real kicker came when the in-state results were announced. Inhofe and Kern both were re-elected. By a landslide.  It's bad enough that Oklahoma went higher in percentage than Utah for McCain, but that I can handle. What is incomprehensible is why Oklahomans would keep electing fear and hate mongering politicians whose only obvious base is the far religious right. This is not fair and accurate representation for all of Oklahoma, and is the reason why politics there is a national joke.

Honestly I hate to say it because I have always been a staunch advocate of my home state and hometown of Tulsa, and often have to defend both from uninformed East and West Coasters who think Oklahoma is stll nothing but a wasteland straight out of the 'Grapes of Wrath' controlled by religious zealots. But after this election and the obvious bias in Oklahoma, I can no longer dispute the facts.

I still love Oklahoma, but gone are the days where I considered moving back and reclaiming my home where my family has lived for four generations. Nobody wants to live where they feel they are not wanted. This is the very reason Oklahoma cannot attract nor retain more centric minded people. Until the citizens of Oklahoma can figure out how to separate their politics from religion, the state will always be perceived as an intolerant, regressive place to live.

Out of step? That is an understatement. Sometimes you need to take a step out and look back in to get an accurate portrayal of what is really happening. I know Oklahoma has always been conservative, but we are not talking about the true "conservative versus liberal" thinking anymore. The hijacking of politics by the religious extremists for their social agendas needs to be stopped. It is crippling for the state of Oklahoma, it is un-American and the rest of America is taking notice.

To claim the only reason Inhoff keeps getting re-elected is because of the religious right, I believe, is incorrect.  Inhoff keeps getting re-elected by a huge majority because of the work he gets done on behalf of the people he works for.

While Inhoff comes off as being a little harsh, he is still a good conservative representative for the huge conservative population of his home state.

And, believe me, I'm far more concerned about the people in the states who keep re-electing folks like:

Senator Robert Byrd
Congressman Jack Murtha

I could go on.  While both of these guys come off as baffoons, their constituents must see something in them, just as many people do here about Inhoff.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org