A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:09:08 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do we go about getting bike lanes for 15th St?  (Read 36664 times)
deinstein
« on: July 28, 2008, 08:11:22 pm »

I think this may be the most heavily biked road in the city, just from my observations.

I feel the obligation to make this road from Denver Ave. (or Riverside through the residential area?) all the way to at least Harvard into a one lane road with turning lanes and two bike lanes on each side.

How can we got about this? I need some help, I'm just an overly opinionated college bum here in my 20's.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 08:53:56 pm »

That's a 4 lane arterial, about 48 feet wide.  Adding 2 bike lanes that meet AASHTO standards (6 feet) while maintaining 2 travel lanes and a mid-road turning lane would keep the same overall width.  

But it won't happen.

Public Works might install sharrows, but I wouldn't expect much more than that.  Besides, who wants to ride in a bike ghetto where all the debris accumulates?  Tulsa already has some poorly designed, poorly maintained bike lanes.  Adding more of them won't be of benefit to cyclists.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 08:55:53 pm »

Would take a lot of paint Cheesy

akupetsky
Civic Leader

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 09:03:57 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by deinstein

I think this may be the most heavily biked road in the city, just from my observations.

I feel the obligation to make this road from Denver Ave. (or Riverside through the residential area?) all the way to at least Harvard into a one lane road with turning lanes and two bike lanes on each side.

How can we got about this? I need some help, I'm just an overly opinionated college bum here in my 20's.

You would need to get to Madison, where you can pick up the trail through Maple Park towards Riverside and 31st.  From Madison to Peoria, you can ride on sidewalks that aren't very crowded.  Along Cherry Street, not a good option right now because even where there are sidewalks, they are often blocked by temporary construction signs (by Christ the King church) or by the protruding coffee shop with parked motorcycles blocking the way.  You can take your chances on the street, but I wouldn't ride there with my children.  Go through the Swan Lake residential area and then on the sidewalks between Utica and Lewis.  Beyond that,you're on your own.

deinstein
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 09:33:06 pm »

Regarding Cherry Street between Peoria & Utica.

I know the proper buffer is curb parking, but what about biking lanes? Is this considered an adequate buffer as well?

I'd be willing to sacrifice turning lanes along this segment for the biking lanes and curb parking on both sides.

I'm unsure of the numbers though. Would it be possible to have curb parking, biking lanes and a turning lane? At all?
OurTulsa
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 09:53:21 pm »

Love the idea!  I've been making the suggestion of three lane arterials for many of our under-utilized 4 laners.  A redesign of 15th St. such as that which you suggest could really add to Cherry St. while not necessarily restricting traffic flow.  Three laning it could provide some sort of landscaped median along the way (picking up some stormwater possibly, creating pedestrian islands, cooling the pavement all while making the street look a little nicer).  The resdesign could also allow for better sidewalks and pedestrian connectivity along the corridor and allow for better crosswalks.  

I would contact your councilor, Eric Gomez and the Mayor and let them know of the idea.  It's not necessarily foriegn, the idea of complete streets has been out there for a little while in Tulsa.  My hope is S. Delaware Av. along TU's western edge proves successful.  Participate in the Comp. Plan dialog.  And if you live in the Cherry St. area, talk to people.  Get them enthusiastic about the idea and consider asking them to contact decision makers.
deinstein
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 09:55:12 pm »

My dream start:

Biking lanes on both sides, one way roads with turning lanes would be at these locations:

Boston Ave. from the BOk tower to 21st St.

15th St. from Denver Ave. to Harvard Ave.

21st St. from Peoria Ave. to the river...beyond that something should be done all the way to Chandler Park. This is an often traveled route for bikers.

Peoria Ave. from as far North as deemed possible. Pine St.? to 41st St.
deinstein
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 09:58:38 pm »

I'm going to try and draft some sort of proposal. I need to figure out how to put this on a computer and give it a visual for everyone? I'm fairly clueless on this.

And TU's system (which is a great, I might add) should go all the way to 15th St. and connect with the other bike lanes.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 11:01:38 pm »

quote:

Ride on the sidewalks if you aren't comfortable riding in the street.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
daniellezm
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 11:24:36 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Double A

quote:

a joke?
deinstein
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 11:44:39 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Double A

quote:

[}:)]

Nice one, AA. Keep em' coming.
random
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 07:57:10 am »

quote:

The thing to do in Tulsa is to take the side roads - the neighborhood streets. However it's impossible to do this around the 15th street area between Delaware and Lewis because of Broken Arrow Expressway cuts through forcing bikers on 15th. I've always thought we should do something about that area for bikes. Personally, I stay off the streets much as possible - too many aggressive auto drivers.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 08:26:55 am »

I love the bike lane idea.  But on most midtown streets it just won't happen.  15th with 6 foot lanes would mean that no sane biker would use the lane anyway.  2" between your handle bars and a 45mph car is not safe.

The little part of Delaware from 11th to 4th that has bike lanes is awesome.  I hope when they redo more streets (in the near future, right!?!) they include meaningful (use able and safe) bike lanes).  If not on the main streets, then at least give designated bike routes like Pittsburgh that go throughout the city (and preferably draw in bike lane on those).

and +1 on random.

(cue circular discussion on cars being jerks to awesome earth friendly bikers and bikes being jerks to commuters just trying to get home)

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
random
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 09:19:01 am »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

and +1 on random.

(cue circular discussion on cars being jerks to awesome earth friendly bikers and bikes being jerks to commuters just trying to get home)

Point taken. You are so right!
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 10:50:42 am »

36th St. from Harvard to Riverside is a good bike route through Midtown.  The traffic is light and while there aren't dedicated lanes the lanes are wide enough for cars and bikes and there are bike signs painted on the road.  Easy way to get from the Brookside area to the river trail.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org