A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:24:06 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 15th and Troost - TMAPC this week  (Read 22432 times)
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« on: July 14, 2008, 04:08:08 pm »

Here's the link to the current TMAPC agenda:
TMAPC Agenda

There's an exhibit related to the NW corner of 15th and Troost that is interesting (item #27 on the agenda).  From a quick read, I believe it's a request for a PUD to change the existing zoning from Office Light and Multi-family residential to Commercial High.  Not sure if that's necessary or not.  

It looks like they want to have retail/restaurant space, and are bringing the buildings up to the sidewalk on 15th street (which would imitate the traditional placement of retail buildings in the older sections of Cherry Street a few blocks west).  They're putting the parking behind the buildings, which I personally like...except that it is a LOT of parking, and it will destroy several existing homes/duplexes.

Some of the neighborhood folks are worried that a change in the zoning to CH will allow someone to "put an 8-story building" on the site.  However, from reading the permit request, the maximum building height will be 35 feet, which is in line with the traditional retail storefronts on Cherry Street.  (Aren't there some 3-story buildings further west...or are they all 2-story?)

Discuss amongst yourselves... Anybody have better information on this?  More detail?  I haven't decided what I think yet, until I do more research.  I'm not opposed to change just because it's different than what we have today.  But I'd like to see a detailed architect's rendering to understand exactly what is being proposed.

The TMAPC meeting is WED, July 16 at 1:30 PM in the City Council Room.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 04:08:57 pm by PonderInc » Logged
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 04:20:22 pm »

And so the economic cleansing continues on Cherry St.[Sad]

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 04:20:41 pm »

If you find out more let us know.  As someone who is looking to move into the Cherry Street area in the next few years (more likely north of it though closer to Hillcrest) I very much like to know what changes the neighborhood is experiencing.  It's also probably my favorite part of Tulsa, and an area that is really changing (for the better).

Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 04:23:02 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by SXSW

If you find out more let us know.  As someone who is looking to move into the Cherry Street area in the next few years (more likely north of it though closer to Hillcrest) I very much like to know what changes the neighborhood is experiencing.  It's also probably my favorite part of Tulsa, and an area that is really changing (for the better).

I hope you can afford $300,000 mortgage, otherwise you are SOL.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
OurTulsa
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 04:35:57 pm »

The zoning maps in that exhibit show that the closest lot is already zoned CH.  It doesn't look like they are changing the underlying zoning at all.  

I'm actually disappointed in this development.  I think they could take better advantage of their urban position.  While the PUD provides for 35 ft. height but those buildings only look like they're one story.  And that parking lot behind the buildings are huge.  I understand that some parking is necessary but man must we comply with our suburban parking requirements?  I'm afraid we're Malling our urban corridors.  I guess, on the bright side, the parking lots can easily be built on in the future.

More interesting on that agenda is # 25!  Can you say, big office building?  Can you Bumgarner? (sp?)
joiei
City Father

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 05:14:29 pm »

Could that be the replacement for the Chipotle that was supposed to go in across the street?  I noticed the plan called for 2 restaurants and that may explain why the parking area seems so large.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 05:39:07 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Double A

And so the economic cleansing continues on Cherry St.[Sad]

I prefer to call it "adding economic diversity" to an area thats been predominantly working class. [8D]  

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 06:16:23 pm »

quote:

quote:

There are some fixer-uppers in that neighborhood that are reasonable.  Price goes down a bit once you go north of the BA I've found, although that's changing quickly.  

And I remember a proposal for an office building at that very site at Peoria and the BA from a few years back.  It's a great location with one of the best views in the city.  Anyone with an office there would be very lucky.  I hope it's a good design whatever it is.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 07:18:31 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

There are some fixer-uppers in that neighborhood that are reasonable.  Price goes down a bit once you go north of the BA I've found, although that's changing quickly.  

And I remember a proposal for an office building at that very site at Peoria and the BA from a few years back.  It's a great location with one of the best views in the city.  Anyone with an office there would be very lucky.  I hope it's a good design whatever it is.

You better jump on it now, not in a few years.  Bumgarner is buying all the "fixer uppers" and mowing them down.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 09:01:56 pm »

This may be for Chipotle that couldn't occupy the building across the street.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 08:42:31 am »

I don't understand the "no change" mentality.  It is also odd that we consistently want to see Tulsa grow and improve, but when it does we complain about how it is growing and then when it improves the gripe is that it costs too much.  I'm not talking about discussion what you like/dislike about the change... I mean just dropping in to say it's bad and moving along.

The reason Cherry Street is unique is because at some point the residential character the neighborhood was changed.  As it continues to grow people in the future will relish the area even more as it attracts more development, density, and diversity.  2 or 3 story building sounds great too me, too bad our parking requirements mandate the demolition of existing structures for lots though...

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
OurTulsa
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 10:02:45 am »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

I don't understand the "no change" mentality.  It is also odd that we consistently want to see Tulsa grow and improve, but when it does we complain about how it is growing and then when it improves the gripe is that it costs too much.  I'm not talking about discussion what you like/dislike about the change... I mean just dropping in to say it's bad and moving along.

The reason Cherry Street is unique is because at some point the residential character the neighborhood was changed.  As it continues to grow people in the future will relish the area even more as it attracts more development, density, and diversity.  2 or 3 story building sounds great too me, too bad our parking requirements mandate the demolition of existing structures for lots though...

That nice big parking lot eats into the density that was achieved in that neighborhood.  Unfortunately, these buildings are only going to be one story; no res or office on top.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 10:55:20 am »

quote:
Originally posted by OurTulsa

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

That nice big parking lot eats into the density that was achieved in that neighborhood.  Unfortunately, these buildings are only going to be one story; no res or office on top.

That kind of redevelopment I do not like. If it were adding density, or just adding quality, fine, but a new building that decreases density and adds surface parking. Not a good exchange.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 10:57:38 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 02:49:52 pm »

I think a variance on the parking requirement would be approved based on location. I've seen TMAPC do this for mid-town and downtown developments before.
mac
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 03:02:47 pm »

The more important item on the TMAPC is the zoning change request at 14th and Utica.

They want to change the zoning to OH. OH would allow just about any kind of development including another "One Utica Place".
Check out what uses are allowed by right under OH. Is this really appropriate on or even very near to Cherry Street?
http://www.incog.org/City%20of%20Tulsa%20Zoning%20Code/Content.htm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org