A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 11:30:04 am
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 139   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is The Occupy Wall Street Movement an Answer to The Tea Party Movement?  (Read 383301 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #420 on: October 18, 2011, 02:13:19 pm »

How on earth did you come to that conclusion? 

Easy.

The majority of the group are very young (18-29) with half of them employed full time.  Close to half did not vote in the last election, those that did, overwhelmingly voted for President Obama.  Though they are angry at the politics of the day, 25% say they still will not vote in 2012.  When asked why, those people said they were "turned off by our political system."  Of the majority that will vote, almost half pledge continuing support to President Obama.

The largest proportion of respondents say they are frustrated with the influence of corporate/moneyed/special interests, yet they are willing to vote for President Obama, and they attribute no blame to Congress (which means they don't understand our form of government, see below).

Question 18 was open ended, meaning that they could say what they want.  When asked "Who would you say is most to blame for our failure to address our problems?" there was no responses for "Congress," and "Special Interests" only got a 8% response even though the exact same question (#16) worded differently resulted in a 30% response for "Corporate/Moneyed/Special interests."  This tells me that they don't have a clear thought process on the who/when/what/why.

Question 20 asks if they would support violence to achieve their goals.  This indicates the willingness of the group to throw a tantrum if they cannot get their way.  Because they are not protesting the government, but rather protesting a segment of the people, this indicates that they are willing to abandon democratic means to achieve their goals and engage in criminal activity.

They see money.  They want that money.  They want the government to loot it for them.  If that will not work, they will threaten violence.

These are child's answers.  

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #421 on: October 18, 2011, 02:16:11 pm »

They might as well have put the survey on the side of a barn and shot at it with a 12 gauge from 50 feet. Probably gotten the same results.

I would have to agree.  Several of the questions were similar and should have been used as filters.  This is a poorly designed poll, but it does give you a glimpse into some of the thought processes swirling around that haze of bong-smoke.  I'm sure there are some thoughtful intelligent arguments out there, but they are overwhelmingly drowned out by the drum-circles.

dbacks fan
« Reply #422 on: October 18, 2011, 02:19:43 pm »

17 was my favorite.

17.   What would you like to see the Occupy Wall Street movement achieve? {Open Ended}

35% Influence the Democratic Party the way the Tea Party has influenced the GOP
4% Radical redistribution of wealth
5% Overhaul of tax system: replace income tax with flat tax
7% Direct Democracy
9% Engage & mobilize Progressives 
9% Promote a national conversation
11% Break the two-party duopoly
4% Dissolution of our representative democracy/capitalist system 
4% Single payer health care
4% Pull out of Afghanistan immediately 
8% Not sure
dbacks fan
« Reply #423 on: October 18, 2011, 02:22:15 pm »

And this point of indecision:
 Do you think providing government money to banks and other financial institutions was necessary to get the economy out of recession, or was it not necessary?

49% Necessary
51% Not necessary
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #424 on: October 18, 2011, 02:27:03 pm »

17 was my favorite.

we vs us
City Father

« Reply #425 on: October 18, 2011, 03:52:45 pm »

There you go again.  Attributing the worst motives to people you disagree with. 
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #426 on: October 18, 2011, 03:55:23 pm »

And this point of indecision:

Why is this surprising?  The whole country feels this way. 
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #427 on: October 18, 2011, 03:56:12 pm »

There you go again.  Attributing the worst motives to people you disagree with. 

Actually I am attributing a complete lack of motives.  In fact, that is exactly the problem, motives, motivation, and initiative.

Again, you help me to make my own point!

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #428 on: October 18, 2011, 03:57:30 pm »

BTW, I'm listening and Biden is completely losing his $hit in Philly right now.  There must be a mini-bar full of Canadian Mist on those buses.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZXAv4O5NC8w[/youtube]

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #429 on: October 18, 2011, 04:42:25 pm »

What a dork...Those were some piss poor examples...Unless you are trying to support the right to bear arms.....

dbacks fan
« Reply #430 on: October 18, 2011, 05:44:19 pm »

BTW, I'm listening and Biden is completely losing his $hit in Philly right now.  There must be a mini-bar full of Canadian Mist on those buses.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZXAv4O5NC8w[/youtube]

Next thing he will do is talk about when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.  Wink

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI[/youtube]
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 05:45:53 pm by dbacks fan » Logged
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #431 on: October 18, 2011, 10:52:22 pm »

Wow... 72 Percent of New York City voters support the continuation of Occupy Wall Street.
" A Quinnipiac University poll released on Monday found broad support for Occupy Wall Street; 72 percent of New York City voters, including 52 percent of Republicans, said the protesters should be able to stay as long as they wanted if they continued to obey the laws. The telephone survey, of 1,068 registered voters, was conducted from Thursday to Sunday. " http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/18/nyregion/bloomberg-says-tent-city-at-wall-street-protest-exceeds-free-speech.html?_r=2&hp

Looks like that change thing is happenin'.
dbacks fan
« Reply #432 on: October 18, 2011, 11:04:22 pm »

Wow... 72 Percent of New York City voters support the continuation of Occupy Wall Street.
" A Quinnipiac University poll released on Monday found broad support for Occupy Wall Street; 72 percent of New York City voters, including 52 percent of Republicans, said the protesters should be able to stay as long as they wanted if they continued to obey the laws. The telephone survey, of 1,068 registered voters, was conducted from Thursday to Sunday. " http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/18/nyregion/bloomberg-says-tent-city-at-wall-street-protest-exceeds-free-speech.html?_r=2&hp

72% of 1068 is 740 people. Little misleading claiming 72% of NYC voters considering the sample is .00013% of the population of NYC and half of that is .000065% as being Republicans.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #433 on: October 19, 2011, 06:07:34 am »

Supporting the right of a group to protest is not the same as supporting the protesters positions.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #434 on: October 19, 2011, 07:21:29 am »

72% of 1068 is 740 people. Little misleading claiming 72% of NYC voters considering the sample is .00013% of the population of NYC and half of that is .000065% as being Republicans.

Standard polling technique.

Probably one of those "within +/- 3%" type things.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 139   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org