A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:53:16 am
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) QT Park - 41st & Riverside  (Read 66765 times)
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #120 on: May 27, 2009, 08:48:52 am »

Do you swim in Lake Keystone?  What about Grand Lake?  The latter is more polluted than the Arkansas River, and the former is about equal (of course).   Farm runoff is far worse than any other pollutant now-a-days.

Why am I commenting on this?  Waterboy! 

Did you hear there was a Triathlon in Oklahoma City on the “Oklahoma” river and a bunch of the athletes got ill from the water in the “river”. The problem being of course that it’s a shallow stagnant pond and not a real river. The Arkansas with it’s massive flow is much cleaner so long as the EPA keeps it’s eyes on Sunoco
Gold
« Reply #121 on: May 27, 2009, 09:06:01 am »

Do you swim in Lake Keystone?  What about Grand Lake?  The latter is more polluted than the Arkansas River, and the former is about equal (of course).   Farm runoff is far worse than any other pollutant now-a-days.

Why am I commenting on this?  Waterboy! 

I wouldn't swim in those, either.  I'm not a lake person.

Also, note the sewer/drainage runoff.  Yummy.

If it's so safe, I expect to see you wearing floaties next time I head down there.  And I'll buy you a beer, assuming you get your shots and sanitize yourself.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 09:08:02 am by Gold » Logged
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #122 on: May 27, 2009, 09:15:34 am »

Yes the Oklahoma River is a tiny creek, as far as CFM flow, compared to the Arkansas.  Any pollutants in the river are flushed out pretty quickly, however you also are draining a good portion of the city directly into the river and there are also the refineries and wastewater treatment plants.  The current is the biggest deterrent to swimming I would believe.  I guess if you created a shallow area safe from the current not near the drainage pipe you could potentially swim or hang out on the beach.  

I've swam in Grand Lake many, many times (almost every weekend most summers) and have never had problems.  Every once in awhile you hear of someone getting sick but then again that's out of hundreds of thousands of people that swim there every year with no issues.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 09:23:41 am by SXSW » Logged

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #123 on: May 27, 2009, 09:36:02 am »

I've swam in the Arkansas before.  Never at that location, but certainly downstream from Tulsa.  Upstream from Tulsa (Keystone) just TONS of times.

The runoff from Tulsa Streets is mostly dirt and salt.  Some yard chemicals and of course some oil residue.  Nothing you'd want to bathe in, but nothing that an occasional dip in will really make you ill.  The Arkansas river leaves Tulsa County cleaner than when it enters it - so if I am willing to swim in Keystone why not the river?

As I said, water with too much fertilizer (from manure, runoff, or treatment plants) with too little flow = bacteria blooms and other problems.  The muddy look of the Arkansas is just that, mud.  There are far more chemicals in your typical hot tub and odds are fair that your buddy doesn't monitor that body of water as well as the EPA checks the Arkansas.

Of course, it pales in comparison to the lake I was just on in Canada.  Where you could literally drink out of the lake (42F water too).  Then again, there's a whole lotta nothin' up there.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
waterboy
« Reply #124 on: May 27, 2009, 04:45:43 pm »

Sorry, I wasn't monitoring this thread.

The most dangerous part about swimming in the Arkansas at that point, this time of year, is probably the lack of any quick rescue should you get in trouble with the current. Likely those swimmers are drinking as well. Bad combination. That is also an area with lots of sunken logs embedded in the sand.

True, I would not suggest swimming near a storm sewer outlet as they channel the runoff of oil, fertilizer and such from surrounding neighborhoods, even so that is quickly diluted in 50,000 cubic feet per second of flow. But I have to say, many people have conducted informal parties in and around that huge storm drain for decades. I too have swam in the areas upstream of Tulsa from the dam down to Newblock many times. The water is just like the Keystone Lake, because two hours earlier, it Was the Keystone Lake.

The Oklahoma River however is quite slow and shallow. Many people are not aware that its beginning is up near a small town known for miles around by its strong stockyards aroma. Very likely that's what percolated through the ground or went into the river and slowly made its way downstream into the swimmers intestinal tract. The very thing that makes it great for rowing and swimming a triathalon, also makes it more likely to make you sick. But that is true of any small, slow river that winds through pastureland. Like the Illinois River or Spavinaw Creek.

Here's the sad truth folks. Outdoors can be dangerous. Shocked
AVERAGE JOE
« Reply #125 on: May 27, 2009, 08:13:45 pm »

Still no bike racks at the new park. Tons of patrons, many of whom are chaining their bikes to lampposts or whatever is handy. Either that or leaving them unattended.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #126 on: May 29, 2009, 07:36:52 am »

Still no bike racks at the new park. Tons of patrons, many of whom are chaining their bikes to lampposts or whatever is handy. Either that or leaving them unattended.

That's ridiculous.  Bike racks should have been included. 

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #127 on: May 29, 2009, 08:43:46 am »

I've noticed in the last few years that bike racks just don'e exist.  At the new(ish) Wal-Mart market at 21st and Yale.  At fast food places.  At grocery stores.  Normal places I will bike to . . . no bike rack.   Let alone parks.  Huh

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #128 on: May 29, 2009, 10:11:33 am »

I've noticed in the last few years that bike racks just don'e exist.  At the new(ish) Wal-Mart market at 21st and Yale.  At fast food places.  At grocery stores.  Normal places I will bike to . . . no bike rack.   Let alone parks.  Huh

Maybe a city ordinance would do the trick?  Mayor Taylor are you listening?   Wink

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #129 on: May 29, 2009, 10:32:14 am »

These guys are listening.

http://tulsahub.org/

Power is nothing till you use it.
AVERAGE JOE
« Reply #130 on: June 02, 2009, 08:18:39 pm »

Bike racks are in! Grin
Ihearttacos
« Reply #131 on: June 03, 2009, 08:36:52 am »

I know River Parks has discussed putting them in, glad they put that plan into action so quickly. 

I'd like to suggest that everyone email the Mayor's Action Center (MAC@cityoftulsa.org) and tell them how much you are enjoying the new plaza and the trails and we want more of the same.  I know I do, I hope you do too
Danny
« Reply #132 on: June 16, 2009, 08:43:23 am »

bike racks would be nice at the new park, but so would parking spots, Ive tried to take my 2 year old there on numerous occasions, and can never find a spot to park, I suppose when the newness of it wears off, it may be easier to get in.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #133 on: June 16, 2009, 08:45:23 am »

bike racks would be nice at the new park, but so would parking spots, Ive tried to take my 2 year old there on numerous occasions, and can never find a spot to park, I suppose when the newness of it wears off, it may be easier to get in.

I've taken my kids their numerous times including on weekends and never had a problem. Especially on the parking spaces on the south side.
Ihearttacos
« Reply #134 on: June 16, 2009, 03:36:14 pm »

I'm glad they didn't ruin all that green space, its nice to have a park that looks like a park and it will hopefully encourage more people to walk or bike.  I can understand not wanting to travel far with a two year old and the impossible challenges though...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org