A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:39:04 pm
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) QT Park - 41st & Riverside  (Read 67147 times)
joiei
City Father

« Reply #105 on: May 18, 2009, 04:54:02 pm »

Swing sets and other playground gear is no more, the reason is lawsuits. It's not worth the hassle. They took down all the swing sets from city parks on Columbus, Ohio a few years ago as did Omaha, NE and Atlanta, GA. That is also why McDonalds and Burger King took down that kiddy playroom thing they had. My concern of the parking area is that if it's real busy the likely hood for a car break-in increases. Someone can sit and watch people leave their cars and then go break in. Tulsa need better parking security for trail users.
What would you propose? 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
AVERAGE JOE
« Reply #106 on: May 18, 2009, 04:59:22 pm »

What would you propose? 
He/she/it wouldn't know because he/she/it lives out of state. Michigan or Ohio or Nebraska or somewhere in the upper Midwest. Please don't feed the trolls.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #107 on: May 18, 2009, 05:54:24 pm »

What would you propose? 
I'd like to have the swing sets there along with the other regular playground gear  for the kids - but thanks to lawyers and law suits it won't happen. I think it would be better if the trail was moved away from playground activity so kids would not be dashing over it... However all in all the area does look great.  The water jets will be great for warm Summer days. They did alot of work there. The parking area is tight. I'd like more parking.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 06:00:52 pm by sauerkraut » Logged

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
joiei
City Father

« Reply #108 on: May 18, 2009, 07:59:40 pm »

I'd like to have the swing sets there along with the other regular playground gear  for the kids - but thanks to lawyers and law suits it won't happen. I think it would be better if the trail was moved away from playground activity so kids would not be dashing over it... However all in all the area does look great.  The water jets will be great for warm Summer days. They did alot of work there. The parking area is tight. I'd like more parking.
Thank you for the thoughtful response even though you do not live here, that means you have no children playing at this park.  Right? 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #109 on: May 19, 2009, 09:15:49 am »

Don't be too harsh on the guy--he claims to visit regularly on business and run the river trails in his spare time.  Quite possible he's been back since the park opened and ran by, forming an opinion as he jogged.

Also possible he's full of it.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #110 on: May 19, 2009, 11:21:28 am »

Don't be too harsh on the guy--he claims to visit regularly on business and run the river trails in his spare time.  Quite possible he's been back since the park opened and ran by, forming an opinion as he jogged.

Also possible he's full of it.

I'll take door 2.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #111 on: May 19, 2009, 12:35:19 pm »

Thank you for the thoughtful response even though you do not live here, that means you have no children playing at this park.  Right? 
Nope, all my kidz are grown up & live in Texas. I was just in Tulsa for two weeks from late April to the first week of May during all that rain. I work in Marketing I'm a customer service rep. We have many customers in Tulsa.

sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #112 on: May 19, 2009, 12:36:05 pm »

I'll take door 2.
Awww Door 2 is a Zonk. you lose. Smiley

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #113 on: May 19, 2009, 01:03:52 pm »

If the trail was moved even further away it would be in the parking lot. As it is, it is on the opposite side of numerous physical barriers from the playground.

Parking is ample.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #114 on: May 19, 2009, 01:17:15 pm »

Awww Door 2 is a Zonk. you lose. Smiley

wow, that's ironic.  You've lost ever since you've been posting here as a Tulsan when it's clear to most now that you're not.

Quit pretending you are until you actually have lived here.  And I'm talking in the present, not the past.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
waterboy
« Reply #115 on: May 19, 2009, 05:46:35 pm »

Swing sets and other playground gear is no more, the reason is lawsuits. It's not worth the hassle. They took down all the swing sets from city parks on Columbus, Ohio a few years ago as did Omaha, NE and Atlanta, GA. That is also why McDonalds and Burger King took down that kiddy playroom thing they had. My concern of the parking area is that if it's real busy the likely hood for a car break-in increases. Someone can sit and watch people leave their cars and then go break in. Tulsa need better parking security for trail users.

Yes, there were lawsuits. Much of the playground equipment was poorly designed, seldom maintained and created some awful injuries. We held Bell's to a higher standard than the swings at Woodward Park. I fell off a "jungle gym" as a kindergarten student and pushed my front teeth up under my nose. No, my parents didn't know enough to sue for medical care, but they would have been deserving. Some kids slipped off of poorly maintained merry-go-rounds and got tangled up underneath causing severe injuries. You think the parks, schools and McDonalds' should skate because it might cost them money to keep children safe? I don't. Sue the bas%*&ds if they deserve it.
Patrick
Activist

« Reply #116 on: May 26, 2009, 03:44:38 pm »

The 'QT Park' was packed all weekend.  We rode by numerous times and there were easily 100-150+ people there (picnicking, enjoying the water features, kids on playground, exercising, etc).  It seemed like lots of people that didn't park right there rode bikes or walked from other locations.  The faux grass is a great idea.

No fistfights over parking spots, no bike wrecks.  No bickering.  Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #117 on: May 27, 2009, 08:03:37 am »

Took my boy to the park.  It was packed (not over crowded).  Tons of fun.

I was, personally, damn glad to see that the equipment installed would allow a kid to get hurt.  Really.  You can climb up it, wizz around in circles, splash in water on concrete.  All sorts of stuff to do.

It is well designed and it is doubtful anyone could get really injured.  But you have to give a kid something to play on that isn't "sterile."  How many times did you fall off your bike or out of a tree and get hurt?  Most of us aren't worse the wear for it either.

All hazards at the QT park are open and obvious to any parent.  If your kid gets hurt, so be it.  I hope no one gets injured, but if kids don't get hurt every now and then they aren't playing hard enough!

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Gold
« Reply #118 on: May 27, 2009, 08:17:50 am »

It looked a little precarious to me.  There are some sharp edges with wet surfaces near them.  It would be fun as hell to play on.

When I went by a couple of weeks back, people were swimming in the river near the area where the drainage enters the river, I guess because they are protected from the current.  It appears stupidity is a major contributing factor to Oklahoma's health care issues.  I love the river, but I'll never swim in the thing if I can avoid it.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #119 on: May 27, 2009, 08:38:39 am »

Do you swim in Lake Keystone?  What about Grand Lake?  The latter is more polluted than the Arkansas River, and the former is about equal (of course).   Farm runoff is far worse than any other pollutant now-a-days.

Why am I commenting on this?  Waterboy! 

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org