A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:59:06 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where precisely is mid-town?  (Read 4730 times)
LongtimeTulsan
Citizen

« on: March 29, 2008, 10:49:43 pm »

A question oft asked  - have some restrict it to the south at 31st, others to 36th; Peoria on the west; 11th on the north; and Pittsburgh to the east?

Thoughts?

joiei
City Father

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 03:13:20 am »

From reading the homes for sale ads, you would think, according to realtors, that Midtown was from 71st on the south, 169 on the west and Admiral on the north to the river.  But we who live in midtown know better.  I like your description better.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
waterboy
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 09:50:33 am »

It might make sense to divide it into "old midtown" and "south midtown" or some other type of phrasing. I always thought of it as no further south than 31st but when you look at the rapid expansion south of 51st it makes sense to include that area like Maple Ridge divided into north and south.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 10:48:12 am »

I would say "Historic Mid-town" Would roughly be the area west and north from the corner of 41st and Lewis to the river, to "Uptown" and to the highway (though around the 6th street corridor that could be called the "Pearl District"). Just "plain mid-town" at the max, would go from I44 and Yale N and West.  

Mid-Town, approximately the area in green.
Historic Mid-town, approximately the area in pink.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3086/2373655645_9fef21cfa3_o.jpg

« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 10:51:31 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
waterboy
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 11:36:46 am »

Honestly. The area in pink would never occur to me as midtown in any sense. That includes Maple Ridge, Riverview, Utica Square and Brookside which certainly aren't midtown areas. They are areas of their own. Who knows what "uptown" is.

The green area to the east of Lewis and south of 11th would be more midtown in my mind. Up to Harvard for sure, Yale possibly. Florence Park, University area, Lewiston, Fairgrounds, Lortondale, White City, etc. are what I hear referred to as midtown.
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 02:01:07 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

I would say "Historic Mid-town" Would roughly be the area west and north from the corner of 41st and Lewis to the river, to "Uptown" and to the highway (though around the 6th street corridor that could be called the "Pearl District"). Just "plain mid-town" at the max, would go from I44 and Yale N and West.  

Mid-Town, approximately the area in green.
Historic Mid-town, approximately the area in pink.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3086/2373655645_9fef21cfa3_o.jpg

Artist is right.  Waterboy, those are neighborhoods within Midtown.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 03:41:52 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy

Honestly. The area in pink would never occur to me as midtown in any sense. That includes Maple Ridge, Riverview, Utica Square and Brookside which certainly aren't midtown areas. They are areas of their own. Who knows what "uptown" is.

The green area to the east of Lewis and south of 11th would be more midtown in my mind. Up to Harvard for sure, Yale possibly. Florence Park, University area, Lewiston, Fairgrounds, Lortondale, White City, etc. are what I hear referred to as midtown.

What?! Thats the first time I have EVER heard anyone say something like that, of all things lol. Utica Square, MapleRidge, Cherry Street and Brookside are the cores of mid-town. They define the essence of it. Thats what mid-town is.

Uptown is the area around Veterans Park, and Boulder on up to downtown. Lots of taller buildings there and such but still not downtown. Its Uptown.

What city did you say you were from Waterboy? You dont seem very familiar with Tulsa.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
waterboy
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 04:05:08 pm »

Sorry guys. I don't mind being wrong. I just have never heard Maple Ridge referred to as Mid town or Uptown, at least not by anyone living here. I was never happy with Maple Ridge, Morningside, Southside, Sunset, etc. being combined into one "super" association that was then called Maple Ridge. It was then subdivided into North, Middle and South Maple Ridge which sucked up the identities of separate little hoods. I don't think Riverview joined that parade. Its like the Brookside merchants association. They didn't want that low rent stuff near 41st till they realized they needed more dues and stuff. Then they became Brookside too.

I suppose if you draw the description large enough to include anything pre-1970 then practically everything inside the interstates is mid-town. Is that what decides it? The age of the hoods more than their location?

If there is indeed a committee to establish areas of town and they decide I live in Mid Town instead of near downtown, old town, uptown, freak town, smugtown, downtown, oiltown then I will humbly abide by their description. Till then its "the older part of town". You say tomatoe....
lsimmons
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 04:49:37 pm »

I agree with TheArtists map but I do think "I" would take it east to Hudson or so. Lortondale should count, IMHO.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 06:30:49 pm »

We have had this conversation before...

http://www.tulsanow.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6868&SearchTerms=midtown

http://www.tulsanow.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5844&SearchTerms=midtown

Power is nothing till you use it.
waterboy
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 08:57:49 pm »

Feb, 2007, quote: Waterboy= "I would especially like to hear from someone in the real estate biz. They are the ones presenting the city and describing it. My real estate sales experience even from the late 70's would have included areas outside of the CBD. That would have been primarily east of Peoria and south of 18th. We often referred to the entire area as "the old part of town". Quaint.

I was corrected by a prominent broker as late as 2000 that Holiday Hills at 51st & harvard to yale was absolutely a "mid-town" neighborhood.
His presentation was that mid-town was the area between south Tulsa (61st) and Maple Ridge. They sell Maple Ridge as a separate entity that includes up to 31st & Peoria and Utica Square as a separate entity.

But in my mind I hate it when they are all lumped into mid-town because its confusing. I prefer area descriptions like Brookside, Cherry, etc. For what all that's worth."

Well, at least I am consistent. And Artist, only one other poster agreed with you and Floyd in the first thread, a news reporter. Michael agreed with you in the second and it thereafter seemed to become Forum Law. Many people believed farther north, farther east, and farther south. As for me, I do not live in MidTown. Its just not descriptive enough.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 10:16:45 pm »

Hey, I can't help it that so many others are wrong and I am right. And I am unanimous in that.

As for the realestate peoples contention that mapleridge, utica, etc. are different. They are indeed they are Historic Mid-town as opposed to just Mid-town. Thats where most of those "preserve mid-town" signs and people are. Those are the areas people are wanting to preserve. They arent wanting to preserve 51st. They arent worrying about inappropriate infill in those other areas.

Lortondale is a nice neighborhood. But just as we have seen in other posts, people often say mid-town doesnt go as far as Yale. So I kind of split the difference and say... about Yale.

Remember, "mid-town" will grow, change and evolve as time passes.

As for not as far as 41st and Yale.  If your at 41st and Lewis on the NW corner, there is that huge old mansion,,, definitely a typical component of Mid-town, and there are some other beautiful old homes and mansions nearby. Gradually more and more as you get closer to 21st and Utica. Definitely, absolutely mid-town imo.

Just to the SE of 41st and Lewis is that Beautiful old, stone Church and there are some nice homes back in there. As per the mid-town growing thing there are more and more infill and nice homes "plus some infill snout houses that people were up in arms about" going in precisely that area. Along 41st towards yale are some other nice homes. As you get closer to Yale,,,, not really, but that area is getting nicer and I decided to be generous and reach on over to take in the nice OU Tulsa campus and make that the very outer edge of Mid-Town. Between Lewis and Yale on 41st is kind of a transition and "becoming" area.

The Promenade Mall area is "densish" but does not yet have that old and established, "lived in" feel to it, and is still currently too "south Tulsa like". Perhaps in time. Get the campus filled in more. A fountain on the grounds for a touch of genteel class. Some large trees in the Mall and Grocery Store parking lots, a midrise apartment or two... Then that corner can definitely graduate up to mid-town status.

The outer areas of any map of this sort are always going to be a bit iffy and changing unless you want to get super nitpicky and go block by block. I was trying to go for super easy, lots of compromise, "not far enough for some, too far for others" yet possibly, generally accepted? lol

And regardless. I am still right.[Tongue] lol.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 10:25:39 pm by TheArtist » Logged

waterboy
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 06:39:17 am »

It seems your main criteria for inclusion in MidTown is that the homes are old and area has some mansions. Then you would have to include the old homes along Denver north of downtown and into Resevoir Hill.  Would that be North MidTown?[8D]

BTW, I haven't seen any Save Midtown signs around here other than one on 18th. They seem to be in Brookside and Cherry Street. Not doing much good it looks like.

It all reminds me of how Oklahoma is described when the states are grouped. Are we SouthWest? MidWest? MidSouth? Lower MidWest? Lower Plains? Does anyone really want us?

Hey, what did you think of RPA kicking that artists work off of the river path last week to be replaced by more bronze animal sculptures? I would have thought you might have defended a brother.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 06:40:56 am by waterboy » Logged
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 06:42:28 am »

That pole artist was a jerk.

If you want to discuss him, start a new thread and I will give you my opinion.

Power is nothing till you use it.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 08:22:57 am »

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy

It seems your main criteria for inclusion in MidTown is that the homes are old and area has some mansions. Then you would have to include the old homes along Denver north of downtown and into Resevoir Hill.  Would that be North MidTown?[8D]

BTW, I haven't seen any Save Midtown signs around here other than one on 18th. They seem to be in Brookside and Cherry Street. Not doing much good it looks like.

It all reminds me of how Oklahoma is described when the states are grouped. Are we SouthWest? MidWest? MidSouth? Lower MidWest? Lower Plains? Does anyone really want us?

Hey, what did you think of RPA kicking that artists work off of the river path last week to be replaced by more bronze animal sculptures? I would have thought you might have defended a brother.

Thats "Historic North Tulsa" [Cheesy] Will talk about the pole art in another thread.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org