A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:04:04 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Updates on Abundant Life Bldg (Tulsa Club moved to its own thread)  (Read 206137 times)
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 11:18:41 am »

quote:
Originally posted by carltonplace

I don't think anything will be done with the Abundant Life Building. I have a 1992 study that found asbestos in everything, including the floor tile. The city has "talked" about making it a super fund site to try to get federal funds for abatement and demolition, but my neighborhood wouldn't be too pleased to be next to one of those.

So it should just sit and rot?  The asbestos needs to be abated and the building torn down, period.  That corridor along Boulder through Riverview/Uptown has alot of potential but not with that eyesore left standing.

The Tulsa Club building, on the other hand, should be restored and turned into a boutique hotel as inteller suggests.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 12:11:20 pm »

I agree. It needs to be taken care of but I'm afraid that it will be so expensive that no one will touch it. Personally I don't think creating a superfund site next to a residential neighborhood is the answer. First the issue of ownership needs to be resolved: Is the current owner interested/able in doing something with this parcel? Does their plan include abatement? Demolition? Rehabilitation? If they don't have any plans other than letting the property sit as is and deteriorate then it becomes a hazard to the people living around it (or walking past it).
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 12:13:57 pm »

Abundant life would make a great movie theatre, if someone had the money.

---Robert
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 12:25:27 pm »

quote:

I agree. It needs to be taken care of but I'm afraid that it will be so expensive that no one will touch it. Personally I don't think creating a superfund site next to a residential neighborhood is the answer. First the issue of ownership needs to be resolved: Is the current owner interested/able in doing something with this parcel? Does their plan include abatement? Demolition? Rehabilitation? If they don't have any plans other than letting the property sit as is and deteriorate then it becomes a hazard to the people living around it (or walking past it).

The owner of the AL building has actually been in touch with me recently about another property he owns in Hutchinson, Ks. which is also pretty much dormant.  I don't have a clue what he thinks he's doing w/ these properties.  AL needs to come down, it's a blight.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 01:09:20 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TURobY

Abundant life would make a great movie theatre, if someone had the money.

If you don't mind asbestos in your popcorn.
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2008, 01:17:01 pm »

quote:

If you don't mind asbestos in your popcorn.

They did it in the 60's and 70's. They even put gold glitter in it. [Tongue]

---Robert
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2008, 02:39:30 pm »

That's an interesting cocktail: popcorn with asbestos and gold glitter. Any option for fiber glass or sea gull poo?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2008, 03:08:47 pm »

Asbestos is actually pretty harmless if you eat it, just don't inhale your popcorn and you should be fine.  If not, there's always James Sokolove.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2008, 03:34:59 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

Asbestos is actually pretty harmless if you eat it, just don't inhale your popcorn and you should be fine.  If not, there's always James Sokolove.

I won't lie...I inhaled.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2008, 04:00:13 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PonderInc

I thought that if a building is placed in foreclosure, it would be sold at auction.  Wouldn't that be true of the Tulsa Club building?

That is true.  The building should be sold at a Sherrif's auction.  The proceeds of which go to pay off the liabilities first (city lien #1 since they are the foreclosing party) and the remainder to the property owner of record.  Since he is awol that money would sit for a designated period of time (15 years I think) before it becomes public funds.

ABSESTOS really isn't that big of a deal if you leave it alone.  However, in a building requiring renovations that really isn't a possibility.  One of those things, if you stir it up it becomes a problem.  No quick answer here.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2008, 06:44:09 am »

Tulsa World article on the Tulsa Club:

"The city will foreclose on the vacant downtown Tulsa Club building if the owner doesn't respond within 45 days to a $331,815 judgment ordered by a district court judge.

On Friday, a Tulsa County judge awarded the city the default judgment against Carl Morony, who owns the building, for failure to remediate code issues plaguing the building.

City Attorney Deirdre Dexter said that if Morony fails to respond, the city will foreclose on the lien against the property, which would allow the city to sell the building to recoup the judgment."

Morony, of California, is the longtime owner of the 11-story Tulsa Club Building at 115 E. Fifth St.

The property has been vacant for more than a decade.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2008, 07:52:08 am »

I think that TulsaNow should buy the building to use as our world headquarters.

Power is nothing till you use it.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2008, 08:05:28 am »

I'm sure we can have it for $331,816
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2008, 10:12:26 am »

quote:
Originally posted by RecycleMichael

I think that TulsaNow should buy the building to use as our world headquarters.

..Now!

The Tulsa ^ Club?
Steve
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2008, 10:18:07 am »

I pray that the Tulsa Club building eventually goes to an owner that will respect and restore it properly.  It is one of the premier art deco gems of downtown Tulsa, and its loss would be tragic.  Historic photos show the interiors were a riot of color and high style art deco design.  Nothing else quite like it for the time in Tulsa.  Of course it would take many millions to restore to original and probably will never happen, but lets hope the eventual owners will respect its past and preserve what is left.

The Chamber of Commerce ought to get on the bandwagon for this building.  Design by architect Bruce Goff, the building not only was the home of the Tulsa Club, but also housed the Chamber of Commerce in the 1920s to the 1950s, when the Chamber moved to Boston Ave.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 10:22:04 am by Steve » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org