A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 10:17:32 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Updates on Abundant Life Bldg (Tulsa Club moved to its own thread)  (Read 207761 times)
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2008, 11:09:00 am »

Maybe it is just the facade/property rot, but I don't see how that Abundant Life building could be anything but a demo now.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2008, 02:03:54 pm »

I agree with you.
Steve
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2008, 02:17:21 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by YoungTulsan

Maybe it is just the facade/property rot, but I don't see how that Abundant Life building could be anything but a demo now.

I sadly would tend to agree.  The facade didn't always look so bad.  I worked for 12 years for a local savings & loan that acquired the Abundant Life property through foreclosure back in the 1980s.  They knew the thing was chock full of asbestos and would be expensive to clean.  So to make a few bucks from it, they stripped all the marble off the exterior facade and sold it, then basically left the building to rot.  That S&L went under, the remnants of it is now Arvest Bank.
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2008, 02:20:53 pm »

Where's QuikTrip when you need them?

TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2008, 09:38:43 pm »

City Moves To Foreclose on Vacant Tulsa Club Building - Tulsa World
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 09:39:02 pm by TURobY » Logged

---Robert
Wrinkle
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2008, 08:53:52 am »

City theft of private property.

I'll also note no progress on the Abundant Life building. Seems this LOCAL owner has spoken with city officials. Guess that's enough. Did they just not like the way the California guy was playing, or is taking outsiders' property the norm around here?

Please don't repeat the trumped up failures and fines imposed on the current owner to steal his building.

When's the auction?
The City cannot simply take possession here.
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2008, 09:22:31 am »

i hope you are kidding...
try reading the article...

it's not theft, it is a foreclosure due to a lien... the guy owes 300k+ in fines secondary to code violations...

they foreclose -> sheriff's auction... that is how it'll work..

not everything is a gubmint conspiracy...

"It costs a fortune to look this trashy..."
"Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live..."

http://www.stopabductions.com/
Gold
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2008, 09:59:40 am »

+1

LOL.

The internet . . . your source for people spouting about things they don't understand.

This is a really good move by our city government.  As things stand, the Tulsa Club is a hazard to the community.  It is not properly cared for and is abused by lots of bad people.  If there is a fire, you expect the fire department to put it out.  If there is a gun fight near you, you hope the police can protect you.  I really don't see how taking action on the Abundant Life building and the Tulsa Club is really any different.  Both are hazards to our community.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2008, 12:13:38 pm »

So potentially the Tulsa Club could find a new owner that cares about it and wants to fix it up, or it could be bought at auction by another out of town absentee slum lord.
rwarn17588
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2008, 01:02:54 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wrinkle

City theft of private property.

I'll also note no progress on the Abundant Life building. Seems this LOCAL owner has spoken with city officials. Guess that's enough. Did they just not like the way the California guy was playing, or is taking outsiders' property the norm around here?

Please don't repeat the trumped up failures and fines imposed on the current owner to steal his building.

When's the auction?
The City cannot simply take possession here.

When you own a building, you're required to comply with a municipality's codes. If you don't, the municipality can take action. This has been repeatedly supported by the U.S. Supreme Court.

The Abundant Life owner has been given some leeway because he's making what appears to be a good-faith effort to do something. The Tulsa Club owner has been AWOL for what seems like forever. Big difference.

Shorter version: Just because you own a building doesn't mean you can allow it to go to sh*t without repercussions.

If you think it's theft, Wrinkle, you'd better call the cops.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2008, 01:17:54 pm »

What has the abundant life building owner done?  It's been quite some time and it still looks like anus.

There's still plant life growing.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2008, 01:20:06 pm »

Well, and he has 2 years to challenge any action taken.  As I understand it, he has been AWOL for at least that long.  Another 2 years and they could literally steal the building and he could not object as to the new owner (could have an action against the city).

If they have done what they say - duly passed laws, notified him of the error, notified him of a failure to correct, fine him, more notice of fines, notice of arrears, notice of failure to comply with a court order, then threaten to take it away, then notice him when it will be taken away, and then take it and notice him of when the sale is... and still (s)he does nothing.

I have very little sympathy.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Gold
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2008, 01:24:38 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by carltonplace

So potentially the Tulsa Club could find a new owner that cares about it and wants to fix it up, or it could be bought at auction by another out of town absentee slum lord.

Good point.  I imagine there will be considerably more scrutiny this time around.  It will be interesting to see what they come up with to keep that from happening again.
inteller
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2008, 01:26:18 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Townsend

What has the abundant life building owner done?  It's been quite some time and it still looks like anus.

hmm, last time I looked anuses weren't shaped like cubes with diamond bumps and trees growing out the top.

sounds like you need to have that checked out.[}:)]
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2008, 01:30:02 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Townsend

They put up a sturdier barrier around the entrance.

I work in Mapco Plaza, and over the past couple of months, I've seen a couple of people walking around the building with clipboards and the such. I've even seen a City of Tulsa vehicle there talking with some other guys. I'm not sure if they are appraisers or what, but there have been people examining the building for some purpose or another.

---Robert
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org